Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
The problem is that if Aiyuk picks them, it's because they've given him a truly stupid contract, though given the massive amount of cap space, there may not be a figure that's too high.

Personally, if I were him and I were told my options were to go to Cleveland or New England, or stay in San Francisco, I'd say "well, looks like I'm staying".

Reactions: KOZ37

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Me too. I'd like to keep him.
I like him as well but if he is what gets a deal done you have to do it. Sounds like it is going to come down to who is willing to meet his asking price. I'm kinda worried the Browns are more likely to overspend. The Pats have to prove at some point they will pay a top contract to a guy who is worth it (Aiyuk is 25 too). Allows them to trade back next draft, recoup picks and still draft a left tackle!

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The problem is that if Aiyuk picks them, it's because they've given him a truly stupid contract, though given the massive amount of cap space, there may not be a figure that's too high.

Personally, if I were him and I were told my options were to go to Cleveland or New England, or stay in San Francisco, I'd say "well, looks like I'm staying".
I'm done signing jag receivers for "good" contracts. Give me a top receiver on a mythical bad cap contract.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I like him as well but if he is what gets a deal done you have to do it. Sounds like it is going to come down to who is willing to meet his asking price. I'm kinda worried the Browns are more likely to overspend. The Pats have to prove at some point they will pay a top contract to a guy who is worth it (Aiyuk is 25 too). Allows them to trade back next draft, recoup picks and still draft a left tackle!

I don't want to overspend. But if the money is right, I'd be elated to have him.

Ideally like to keep Bourne though.

Reactions: KOZ37

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
I don't want to overspend. But if the money is right, I'd be elated to have him.

Ideally like to keep Bourne though.
I feel like we as fans have to stop worrying about the money. You only have so many shots at getting a true number 1 receiver. If he is willing to sign I think now is the perfect time to spend, as your future QB is locked up for 5 years at low dollars. 5 year deal is perfect and to become an attractive team to free agents you need to start signing top talent. Just my two cents...

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
FWIW, my gut says he chooses Cleveland because they're closer to competing for a Super Bowl.

I tend to agree......but money talks too. Plus Watson has been pretty terrible. They are no better than the 3rd best team in their division as well. I see money playing a huge factor though. If they overpay he will come. I think they need to open the vault for him.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Aiyuk is 26. He is the exact type of WR the Pats should go after. Prime age and would really help take pressure off young receivers like Polk and Baker. The WR room is so mid this would just slot everyone into place. It also would clearly help Drake Maye whenever he gets out there. I'm not falling for the "bad contract" here. Nope. Let's get it done.

By the way, the way this has gone down is like a European soccer transfer. Where clubs come to terms and now it's down to which team can reach terms with the player himself. If Aiyuk wants out of SF I don't think winning is all that important to him. He'll take the money.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Getting good players is good, but I can't help but shake the feeling the Pats suddenly have "new owner energy." And that is never ever ever a good thing.
I don't know. It's not like they went crazy in free agency. It was a lot of modest contracts and re-signing your own guys. Given the age of the player and the glaring need at WR I think this would be a welcome change. Doesn't guarantee it works out but I think it's a move you make.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
I don't know. It's not like they went crazy in free agency. It was a lot of modest contracts and re-signing your own guys. Given the age of the player and the glaring need at WR I think this would be a welcome change. Doesn't guarantee it works out but I think it's a move you make.
Well their biggest needs going into the year was a Franchise QB, LT, and WR1. The hopefully drafted the first. If they can get the WR1, they can then focus on LT in the next draft/FA. They just restocked the WR room and hopefully added talent on the o line. They resigned basically most of a very good young defense. Fill in those pieces and the next few years could look pretty damn interesting. Buffalo has taken a step back and Rodgers isn't getting any younger.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

It's not just about this potential move, it's about the whole "vibe" I'm getting from the organization.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
i wouldn’t trade a 1st but it’s mostly the trade comp i’m worried about. the money is all fake anyways.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Getting good players is good, but I can't help but shake the feeling the Pats suddenly have "new owner energy." And that is never ever ever a good thing.

Id much rather get Aiyuk and lock him up to give Maye an elite target than have them sit on their hands again and trot another another WR group made up of #3 jags

Hell, if this deal happens they're still going into the season with ~$15m in cap space. Without it they're going into the season $43m below the cap. That's a Coyotes/As level of embarrassing spending.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I’d be happy to be wrong, but I think if Aiyuk had any interest in being here, the deal would already be done. He wants PIT and he’s willing to wait SF out to make it happen.

Reactions: EverettMike

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Id much rather get Aiyuk and lock him up to give Maye an elite target than have them sit on their hands again and trot another another WR group made up of #3 jags

Hell, if this deal happens they're still going into the season with ~$15m in cap space. Without it they're going into the season $43m below the cap. That's a Coyotes/As level of embarrassing spending.

Yeah, I get it. I guess this is more a move for 2025, because I am not worried about giving Maye "weapons" this season since I don't want him to play this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad