Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm certainly not a Zappe fan, but it seems like they're just doing him a disservice not cutting him and giving him a chance to fight for a roster spot with another team. Almost seems vindictive.

Yup. Also don't really see the issue with that quote. Seems very reasonable and very honest while still being professional.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Cut this clown already.
There's nothing clownish about this quote from Zappe but ok. My guess in all of this is that they won't play Maye right away. If Brissett goes down on the first play of the season they aren't then gonna say ok Drake get in there. Zappe is a better NFL QB than Joe Milton at this point. So either they will keep Zappe until they decide Drake Maye is ready to play or they could cut Zappe and bring in a veteran from another team if they like the fit better. I'm not sure why anyone would get worked up about Zappe being on the roster at this point.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
There's nothing clownish about this quote from Zappe but ok. My guess in all of this is that they won't play Maye right away. If Brissett goes down on the first play of the season they aren't then gonna say ok Drake get in there. Zappe is a better NFL QB than Joe Milton at this point. So either they will keep Zappe until they decide Drake Maye is ready to play or they could cut Zappe and bring in a veteran from another team if they like the fit better.
Yeah, but do you really think NE is going to carry 3QBs on their final 53 man roster? I sure don’t..

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah, but do you really think NE is going to carry 3QBs on their final 53 man roster? I sure don’t..
I absolutely do for the exact scenario I mentioned. If you don't think Drake Maye is ready to play I think it would be idiotic to then throw him in if Brissett goes down early in the season. I could be wrong on this though. We'll see. Maybe not for the full season but to start the year? I expect 3 QBs.

I find these dual practices weird, I would not want other teams seeing what we are doing in practice.
I'm not sure what these teams are truly revealing in these things though. I would imagine it's pretty vanilla across the league.

Reactions: bbfan419

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I absolutely do for the exact scenario I mentioned. If you don't think Drake Maye is ready to play I think it would be idiotic to then throw him in if Brissett goes down early in the season. I could be wrong on this though. We'll see. Maybe not for the full season but to start the year? I expect 3 QBs.
I cannot foresee any scenario where Drake Maye goes into Week 1 of the regular season as the #3QB on the Patriots depth chart. If that's the case, then something is very, very wrong.

I think Pats fans still have PTSD from he Mac Jones episode. Maye is absolutely the #2 guy unless he completely shits the bed in camp. And even then, there's no way he's ever gonna get better being the #3 guy for reps in practice during the regular season. That's the worst possible scenario.

Reactions: CDJ

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
I think sometimes people forget Maye is only 21. He didn't get to play 5 years of college ball like Daniels or Penix. I hope they give him the time he needs....I don't care where he was drafted since they likely won't win a lot this year.

Reactions: Johnnyduke and CDJ

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Yup. Also don't really see the issue with that quote. Seems very reasonable and very honest while still being professional.
I wouldn't clown him over this quote if he was being professional his entire time here. Instead, he's been an absolute hardo.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I cannot foresee any scenario where Drake Maye goes into Week 1 of the regular season as the #3QB on the Patriots depth chart. If that's the case, then something is very, very wrong.

I think Pats fans still have PTSD from he Mac Jones episode. Maye is absolutely the #2 guy unless he completely shits the bed in camp. And even then, there's no way he's ever gonna get better being the #3 guy for reps in practice during the regular season. That's the worst possible scenario.
The scenario is the OL is really bad and gets Brissett killed. Im not putting in Maye next to take a beating as they try to fix it. Zappe is a perfect tackling dummy until the line gets sorted. Both he and Milton can be waived and brought back anytime.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I think sometimes people forget Maye is only 21. He didn't get to play 5 years of college ball like Daniels or Penix. I hope they give him the time he needs....I don't care where he was drafted since they likely won't win a lot this year.
I get that point of view, but what are they giving him the time to accomplish?

I completely agree that you don't start him in Week 1, unless you absolutely have to, but the only way you are going to learn to play the position in the NFL, is to actually play the position.

I'm a Packer fan, and there's been a whole lot of talk about Jordan Love and him being inactive his first year, and then sitting behind Aaron Rodgers for 2 more, being the reason he had his breakout year. Personally, I think that's hogwash.

Jordan Love struggled his first 8 games last season......badly. He wasn't this ready-to-go starting QB. He had to learn on the job and got better the more he played. Personally, I don't think him holding a clipboard for 3 years and getting 15% of the reps in practices with the #2s had a whole lot to do with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KOZ37

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The scenario is the OL is really bad and gets Brissett killed. Im not putting in Maye next to take a beating as they try to fix it. Zappe is a perfect tackling dummy until the line gets sorted. Both he and Milton can be waived and brought back anytime.
So if Brissett gets "Bledsoe'd" you don't want Maye to get a run?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but to me, that's being over cautious. I think you gotta let the kid take his lumps at some point. You can scheme around the O-Line and protect your QB with quick throws if need be.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Why would they waive Milton? He’s the starting QB for the 2027 nfl champion New England Patriots

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
So if Brissett gets "Bledsoe'd" you don't want Maye to get a run?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but to me, that's being over cautious. I think you gotta let the kid take his lumps at some point. You can scheme around the O-Line and protect your QB with quick throws if need be.
Maybe. Not if he's not ready. Probably further along in week 10 than week 2 hopefully. He is not at NFL level in some basic QB skills like footwork. You cant really scheme screens and hot reads if he cant execute them. I hope he's ready by week #1. Im still keeping a qb3 in case he isnt.

Reactions: RoccoF14

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
I get that point of view, but what are they giving him the time to accomplish?

I completely agree that you don't start him in Week 1, unless you absolutely have to, but the only way you are going to learn to play the position, is to actually play the position.

I'm a Packer fan, and there's been a whole lot of talk about Jordan Love and him being inactive his first year, and then sitting behind Aaron Rodgers for 2 more, being the reason he had his breakout year. Personally, I think that's hogwash.

Jordan Love struggled his first 8 games last season......badly. He wasn't this ready-to-go starting QB. He had to learn on the job and got better the more he played. Personally, I don't think him holding a clipboard for 3 years and getting 15% of the reps in practices with the #2s had a whole lot to do with it.
I don't think you want to sit him for 3 years....maybe not even this entire season either. Love sat because they had one of the best QBs in the league ahead of him. That being said I think its best for Maye to sit for most if not all of the year. He has a lot to learn, including footwork and how to take snaps under center. Let the line come together some before putting him behind center. No rush yet IMO.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

It's not really as strict as being the #2 guy vs. the #3 guy. I don't think they're gonna take a robotic approach of Maye > Zappe so if Brissett goes down early that means Maye must play. If they don't think he's ready to at least be competent out there then he shouldn't play. A lot of my thinking has to do with the players around the QB on this team. I don't think they're very good. The team stinks. I don't see any harm in sitting Maye for let's call it the first half of the season.

Last edited:

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Why would they waive Milton? He’s the starting QB for the 2027 nfl champion New England Patriots
Vols friend described Milton as xbox QB when you keep hitting the wrong buttons. X is open but accidently hit double covered O for the pick, or tap to float over LB but hit too hard and gun it off the back of his head.

• Haha
Reactions: CDJ

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Starting to sound more and more like Aiyuk may be traded. If so I hope they try to make a deal. His age and ability fit the timeline. I like him a lot more than Ridley too.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Starting to sound more and more like Aiyuk may be traded. If so I hope they try to make a deal. His age and ability fit the timeline. I like him a lot more than Ridley too.
I'd give up next years 2nd. Not sure if another team would beat that. Maybe if the Browns think for some crazy reason they are making a deep run and can afford to give up late 1st

Reactions: HustleB

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
I'd give up next years 2nd. Not sure if another team would beat that. Maybe if the Browns think for some crazy reason they are making a deep run and can afford to give up late 1st
I'm betting the 49ers are going to want a player or two as well as a pick They may want Bourne as he was successful there in the past and signed for small money. I wonder if Judon may be of interest. the Pats don't seem interested in paying or extending him.

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy