Speculation: 2024 Off-season Team Discussion

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
400 faceoffs is not much. Schmaltz had that many last season. Kerfoot had twice as many.

Had McBain played 82 games he’d have doubled it.

Where are you getting 417 FO's from? I would prefer him over Schmaltz as well, depending on cost and contract. Replacing Schmaltz with Necas is fine, but I don't want another Schmaltz experiment at C. Carolina's coaching staff are no dummies and if Necas could handle OR be good at C don't you think he would play C? Let's see what happens. I could be totally wrong about Necas, OR you could be totally wrong.

Necas had 138 last year.
No he didn't?

417 faceoffs taken is straight from the NHL website for stats from 2022-23. Necas took 138 this year, not last.

Last year Schmaltz took 100 in 60ish games. Schmaltz did take 400 this year apparently, so I missed that.

I wasn't aware Schmaltz had been given that opportunity at C this year so fair enough. But Carolina has infinitely better center depth than we do, it makes sense for them to not give Necacs time at C when he's good on the wing and they have Aho, Jarvis, etc at C, who Necas clearly isn't better than. Those are way better players than Bjugstad, Kerfoot, McBain and Hayton though.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No he didn't?

417 faceoffs taken is straight from the NHL website for stats from 2022-23. Necas took 138 this year, not last.

Last year Schmaltz took 100 in 60ish games. Schmaltz did take 400 this year apparently, so I missed that.

I wasn't aware Schmaltz had been given that opportunity at C this year so fair enough. But Carolina has infinitely better center depth than we do, it makes sense for them to not give Necacs time at C when he's good on the wing and they have Aho, Jarvis, etc at C, who Necas clearly isn't better than. Those are way better players than Bjugstad, Kerfoot, McBain and Hayton though.
I think you are only seeing what you want to see.;) Do you watch the Coyotes?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
No he didn't?

Not sure it’s being “given opportunity at C” so much as wingers who play a lot end up taking faceoffs fairly regularly. Because centers cheat on draws and officials in the NHL lack patience. ;)

If the winger is one of your better offensive players this will happen more situationally, too. Like how Schmaltz was 6th in EV FOs but 3rd in PP FOs. That’s one example.

400 draws might make a guy 5th or 6th on the team in draws. But that’s very likely because injury call up centers just don’t play enough games to rank. I suspect their FOs/82gp are higher.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
well one of the 2 people resigned. Do you think he resigned just to see what else is out there or do you think he has something already locked up?
Why would you leave Carolina where you have been successful and a player or two from being a SC favorite, for the same position in Columbus? Money? Maybe taking a higher position than GM?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not sure it’s being “given opportunity at C” so much as wingers who play a lot end up taking faceoffs fairly regularly. Because centers cheat on draws and officials in the NHL lack patience. ;)

If the winger is one of your better offensive players this will happen more situationally, too. Like how Schmaltz was 6th in EV FOs but 3rd in PP FOs. That’s one example.

400 draws might make a guy 5th or 6th on the team in draws. But that’s very likely because injury call up centers just don’t play enough games to rank. I suspect their FOs/82gp are higher.
I would love to add Necas, but he won't come cheap, both in contract and players.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Why would you leave Carolina where you have been successful and a player or two from being a SC favorite, for the same position in Columbus? Money? Maybe taking a higher position than GM?
Carolina is cheap. Owner typically only pays his management about half to two thirds of what they would make on open market. He will make a lot more money in another organization

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Carolina is cheap. Owner typically only pays his management about half to two thirds of what they would make on open market. He will make a lot more money in another organization
Where did you find this information? He was with the Cane's organization for about 10 years. I think it's more about getting a better opportunity or maybe just a change of scenery. If it was money he would have left years ago. Not saying he won't get more money elsewhere though.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Where did you find this information? He was with the Cane's organization for about 10 years. I think it's more about getting a better opportunity or maybe just a change of scenery. If it was money he would have left years ago. Not saying he won't get more money elsewhere though.
I read a lot. Its also talked about openly amongst hockey journalists. This isn’t a secret.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Is there anyone playing for AT for team Canada, that could be an addition? I would love to get Tavares ,but the cost is high.. we need someone who can win a face off.
I also wonder if LA bought out PLD, if he could turn things around under a players coach with a good culture?
Also thinking Sean Monaghan is a UFA..was well over 50% on the draw..though, I have no idea how to see how many he actually took.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
PLD is a cancer, you don't want him anywhere near this team. He's lazy and doesn't work hard.

I don't want Tavares or Monaghan either. Just stick w/current plan and continue to build through the draft. Unless you can pick up a Durzi type that fits the age & salary window.

ala a Ferraro type Dman who would be an upgrade to anything we had last season. I'm all up for giving Koly one last look to see if he can stay healthy be mean on the back end.

Other than Durzi/Moser, if you can get an upgrade on the backend within reason do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad