Speculation: 2024 Off-season Discussion

finkelsteinberg

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
The Yotes/Whatevers are coming off their best offensive season ever. Offense is not the problem. We will likely see growth from Cooley and a full season of Guenther will only add to the offense. The team needs to improve the back-up goalie and the defense positions. We won't get any 1D or 2D but I think adding any 3D or 4D will be seen to improve the team greatly. Marner is not the answer.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The Yotes/Whatevers are coming off their best offensive season ever. Offense is not the problem. We will likely see growth from Cooley and a full season of Guenther will only add to the offense. The team needs to improve the back-up goalie and the defense positions. We won't get any 1D or 2D but I think adding any 3D or 4D will be seen to improve the team greatly. Marner is not the answer.
Not only will the offense increase due to growth in players like Cooley/Guenther...but they should get a 'bump' in offense due to having better puck moving defenders

Lets face it, who they had on Defense last season on paper was pathetic. Everyone not named Moser/Durzi should be replaced and each of those should be a 'huge' upgrade to who was there.

My guess is the offense is top 10 next season, I'm guessing we come in at #9 or #10 (caveat that we actually do get upgrades on 4 D positions)

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Currently(guesstimation):
$50M for 13 Fs, 2Gs, 2Ds

Just to get to a $80M cap hit, the #'s need to be increased to $30M for 6 players. If we keep Valimaki, Kolyachonok, and Kesselring that allows BA to add 3 players for $27M.

I wonder if we'll see some players get traded at the draft?

Reactions: DustyDangler

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Offer sheets are rarely used. Only ten players in the last twenty-five plus years have been offer sheeted, and eight of them were matched. The two that weren't are Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Dustin Penner.
Are you saying there is a chance that Hayton could be offer sheeted?:laugh:

If Byfield gets 8.5, the other young guys will want the same. Suddenly we're out of cap, and we also have LA looking to hit us back with an offer sheet.
With the cap going up Utah would be just fine. 8.5 for a 1C, if he becomes that, is chicken feed.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Are you saying there is a chance that Hayton could be offer sheeted?:laugh:

With the cap going up Utah would be just fine. 8.5 for a 1C, if he becomes that, is chicken feed.

Any RFA who does not accept their qualifying offer is eligible to be offer sheeted come July 1, yes. From Capfriendly directly, this is Hayton's qualifying offer:

A $2,130,000 qualifying offer is required to retain the RFA rights of Barrett Hayton. A two-way qualifying offer is permitted since Hayton has not met both the games played and waivers requirements. The qualifying offer is equal to 100% of the previous contracts final season base salary because the salary was $1,000,000 or greater.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
LA is not letting go of Byfield. If you want the scoring skills he has in a beast of a package, you have to get it at the draft.

If we pass on Lindstrom we'll regret it.
Teenaged power forwards who already have bad backs are kinda scary though.

LA would match. Easy.

Also QB has played in the NHL for three years and has yet to be used as a center with any regularity. So I’m not sure he ever becomes a center.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Teenaged power forwards who already have bad backs are kinda scary though.

LA would match. Easy.

Also QB has played in the NHL for three years and has yet to be used as a center with any regularity. So I’m not sure he ever becomes a center.
I agree about LA matching. You may see QB play more C after they get rid of PLD and Kopitar retires. Did QB play C in junior? I thought he played mostly C until you stated otherwise.

rt

May 13, 2004
I agree about LA matching. You may see QB play more C after they get rid of PLD and Kopitar retires. Did QB play C in junior? I thought he played mostly C until you stated otherwise.
You don’t have to take my word for it. You can watch game highlights and look at stats if you don’t believe me. This is the internet. There are answers for you.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You don’t have to take my word for it. You can watch game highlights and look at stats if you don’t believe me. This is the internet. There are answers for you.
I did look it up and that is why I asked if he played C in Junior. I couldn't find any FO stats of his Junior days.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I wonder if we could pay some of our draft capital to dump Shea Weber's contract off on some other team. Haha.

Not sure what that would accomplish though.
While I reserve the right to be wrong...

I don't think it accomplishes anything as, if the Coyotes need cap space, they can just put him on LTIR and as of right now, they need the contract to get to the floor.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
One of the insiders (I can't remember which) said the Coyotes were shopping Weber because his contract has value if you're trying to hit the floor. I am all for moving it just to be free of the embarrassment.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
One of the insiders (I can't remember which) said the Coyotes were shopping Weber because his contract has value if you're trying to hit the floor. I am all for moving it just to be free of the embarrassment.
That would be an angle...maybe a Sharks type team would give something for it.

Embarrassment is a matter of perspective. This isn't embarassing...

1715184458817.png

British yote

May 16, 2014
England
If we really wanted to go mad,

Tavares for a 3rd. Clears space for Toronto and gives us at least a decent 2C

Stamkos at 2 years 11 million

Use the other 8 million on a dman. And that’s just to get to the floor.

Not saying we should do this at all or if this is even possible, just if we did want to go wild, this would make for a pretty interesting first season In Utah.

Keller Stamkos schmaltz
doan Tavares maccelli
Crouse Cooley guenther
kerfoot mcbain jenik/ bug

New D1 New D2
Moser durzi
Koly kesselring

rt

May 13, 2004
If we really wanted to go mad,

Tavares for a 3rd. Clears space for Toronto and gives us at least a decent 2C

Stamkos at 2 years 11 million

Use the other 8 million on a dman. And that’s just to get to the floor.

Not saying we should do this at all or if this is even possible, just if we did want to go wild, this would make for a pretty interesting first season In Utah.

Keller Stamkos schmaltz
doan Tavares maccelli
Crouse Cooley guenther
kerfoot mcbain jenik/ bug

Wonder if Toronto would consider buying out Tavares in order to sign Stamkos themselves. They could offset the cap hit by trading Marner for more playoff experienced/successful asset that’s also much cheaper. Thinking of Kyle Dubas, here. So maybe Bryan Rust++ for Marner?

Keefe —> Berube
Marner —> Rust
Tavares —> Stamkos

A lot of shuffling deck chairs and still doesn’t address D & G. So same ole Leafs. lol.

New D1 New D2
Moser durzi
Koly kesselring
would like to see us make a trade or two for D. 25 & 26 picks.

rt

May 13, 2004
Trade a 2nd to TBL for Jeannot and Raddysh.

Trade a 2nd, 3rd, and Soderstrom to SJS for Ferraro.

Sign Vincent Desharnais as a UFA

Moser-Durzi
Ferraro-Raddysh
Valimaki-Kesselring
Desharnais

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Trade a 2nd to TBL for Jeannot and Raddysh.

Trade a 2nd, 3rd, and Soderstrom to SJS for Ferraro.

Sign Vincent Desharnais as a UFA

Moser-Durzi
Ferraro-Raddysh
Valimaki-Kesselring
Desharnais

I could see SJ counter offer 14th and Ferraro for the 6th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad