Speculation: 2024 Off-season Discussion

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Very encouraging to hear BA sticking with the "pro-cess". I imagine if Smith wanted otherwise that would already have been communicated but you never know.
Agreed. The question of Ishbia being a savior came up in another thread. I think if you look at him not having any picks until 2031, we can/should all be glad we don't have an owner with such a mentality. Yeah, his GM did it and is quoted something akin to he doesn't like the draft and believes in building in other ways, but it's stupid (imo) and Ishbia hired him and I believe is the driving force behind that mentality.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Agreed. The question of Ishbia being a savior came up in another thread. I think if you look at him not having any picks until 2031, we can/should all be glad we don't have an owner with such a mentality. Yeah, his GM did it and is quoted something akin to he doesn't like the draft and believes in building in other ways, but it's stupid (imo) and Ishbia hired him and I believe is the driving force behind that mentality.
I don't follow the NBA anymore but was recently made aware of the state of the Suns. On the surface, looks like a brutal situation and yes, glad the UHC/Coyotes is not being run like that.

Edit: service to surface

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Today in horrible trade proposals: a Wild fan site proposes a one for one trade of Marco Rossi for Dylan Guenther:

I dearly hope BA isn't that stupid, because if he were to make that trade it would be the perfect excuse for me to hate this new team for more than just stealing my old one... :laugh:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
BA literally said it would be foolish to sign 29 year olds to 7yr deals. He’s not doing that.

Bill's radio interview made it sound like he's exploring trade opportunities for a top D.

It's hard to imagine that actually coming to pass. Would be cool if it did.
I did not interpret it that way. He seemed to say the only way to get a core, top D is to draft him. And you can make smart, small trades for nice support players like Durzi and McBain. I expect him to draft a top pairing defender this summer and trade a 2nd rounder or two for another decent piece for the blueline a la Durzi.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm not really concerned about the PP. We have Durzi. I want size, balls, toughness, and heart. A Michalek or Hjalmarsson type who can play 20-minute, mistake-free hockey.
I want Moser off the PP as soon as possible. Would love a shorter term vet to help with that. Gostisbehere would be nice.

Today in horrible trade proposals: a Wild fan site proposes a one for one trade of Marco Rossi for Dylan Guenther:

I dearly hope BA isn't that stupid, because if he were to make that trade it would be the perfect excuse for me to hate this new team for more than just stealing my old one... :laugh:
Hilarious.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Rasmus Andersson?
I didn’t know much about this guy until recently, but after looking into him…his value is a lot higher than I would have thought. Apparently a really really solid player and captain material. Would probably have to give up Crouse + Soderstrom + something else

Reactions: Summer Rose

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
I didn’t know much about this guy until recently, but after looking into him…his value is a lot higher than I would have thought. Apparently a really really solid player and captain material. Would probably have to give up Crouse + Soderstrom + something else
Crouse, Soda and a 49.. sign me up!

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I keep wondering, with Pietro and now Hanafin signed long term in Vegas, if instead of Whitecloud or Hague being available (~2.5M AAV) if Theodore becomes available.

He has a 5 team no trade list clause. He's a fantastic player. But his 5.4M for the next couple of years might be too much for vegas. Or just the reality they let a forward walk. Theodore would make a wonderful bridge until the picks and prospects are ready. He would also cost more than a pair of seconds.

I can dream

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I keep wondering, with Pietro and now Hanafin signed long term in Vegas, if instead of Whitecloud or Hague being available (~2.5M AAV) if Theodore becomes available.

He has a 5 team no trade list clause. He's a fantastic player. But his 5.4M for the next couple of years might be too much for vegas. Or just the reality they let a forward walk. Theodore would make a wonderful bridge until the picks and prospects are ready. He would also cost more than a pair of seconds.

I can dream

I don't think we could figure out a cost that makes sense for both parties. I don't love that he is UFA in two seasons either. I can't imagine giving up two 2nds and MavLam just to have him walk. But I love the idea and it would be something else to get him. Also, I don't think you can close the door on any of the VGK players. Teams will have the ultimate advantage with negotiations with them and luckily we have a seemingly endless supply of ammo.

I think Whitecloud and Hague are perfect targets. Roy is another guy I'd be very interested in.

Hague and Whitecloud may be at the top of my list of realistic options for defense. I know the Carolina players get thrown around a lot here and I'd love to grab them too but they feel more like players who will require a long contract, which doesn't exactly align with some of BA's recent comments. Maybe one of them, but not both? But there's still other guys I'd love to get that we wouldn't be married to for 7 years.

Roy and Bennett are two forwards I'd love to get. Florida is going to be completely strapped. I have some intel that a Reinhart deal is all but done. Lundell has looked great at 2C with Bennett out these past three games. I think he wouldn't be too difficult to aquire. They may have some other names we could shake loose like Mikkola. Forsling is kind of like their version of Theodore. They need to sign Montour and have Ekblad locked up. Maybe Forsling is some they can part with now.

Then there's NYR. We already have trade history with them. Lindgren feels like the perfect add for this team. If you are looking forward, I have no idea what they are planning to do with Kakko and Roslovic is somehow a UFA already.

We could send both Florida and New York some of their 2nds back to them for these guys. And some picks to VGK for Hague. @rt has mocked up some of these trades already so I will let him do the honors haha.

TLDR: here's my dream

Keller-Bennett-Schmaltz
Crouse-Cooley-Gunner
Doan-Bjudstadt-Maccelli
Roy-McBain-Carcone

Lindgren-Durzi
Moser-Hague
Koly-Valimaki

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Umm, hello? At this point we just have to re-sign our defensemen. I know we all like to look and see another Dumba out there. But let's figure out the core 6 before adding a cherry on top. Or maybe you want to start with the cherry and work backwards. Heck if I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad