Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (Ducks pick #3, They didn’t drop! OMG It’s a Miracle!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I think people are really stretching ‘cap reasons’ as an excuse to not keep core players.

Is Vatrano really a core player? I don't think he is on a good team. Not unless he's suddenly going to start cranking out 30+ goals every year from now on.

Do we still need him now? Sure. But if he's still being relied upon as one of our best scorers in a couple years I suspect it means we still suck.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Only thing that worries me at all is we've seen teams give out big contracts to players who had a career year and they end up bought out or traded at a loss. Guys like Jason Blake and David Clarkson come to mind.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
With our history of developing consistent (and good) players, I highly doubt they will be commanding high pay when it comes to renewals

Then sell them all now. Leo, Trevor, McT, Minty, Gauthier, Zellweger, our first pick, etc. ... you could probably get a good pending UFA or still good past his prime star player or something of that ilk for every one of those assets. You could truly cash it all out now and probably have an immediate playoff team next year.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Only thing that worries me at all is we've seen teams give out big contracts to players who had a career year and they end up bought out or traded at a loss. Guys like Jason Blake and David Clarkson come to mind.

I would think we walk away from Vatrano if its not something similar to Stromes deal (5 x 5ish). I don't expect him to demand being paid like a core player, but he's a damn good supporting piece.

Noticing now this is in the Draft thread, so i'll try to move this over to the free agency/trade talk in future responses.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I would think we walk away from Vatrano if its not something similar to Stromes deal (5 x 5ish). I don't expect him to demand being paid like a core player, but he's a damn good supporting piece.

Noticing now this is in the Draft thread, so i'll try to move this over to the free agency/trade talk in future responses.
What helps Vatrano is the Ducks young playmakers are only gonna get better and he's always had a good shot, its not like he's William Karlsson in 2017-18 with pucks ricocheting and bouncing in on luck or a fluke year like David Clarkson.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Verbeek is different, but the same such that we're hitting on our top-end picks, hitting on potential d-men after the first round, but still sucking ass at drafting top-6 scoring forwards.
There's literally been like 5 top 6 forwards to come out of the entire 2022 and 2023 drafts so far (Slafkovsky, Cooley, Bedard, Carlsson, Fantilli), all of which are top 3 picks

shach1

Aug 12, 2023
There's literally been like 5 top 6 forwards to come out of the entire 2022 and 2023 drafts so far (Slafkovsky, Cooley, Bedard, Carlsson, Fantilli), all of which are top 3 picks
Johnston and Stankoven?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Snuggerud looks to be a far better offensive weapon than Gaucher. I mean, Verbeek wanted to improve his top-6 in his system and was fortunate that Cutter became available. Verbeek does know he's in charge of the draft and depth in the Ducks system?

Reactions: Kalv

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Snuggerud looks to be a far better offensive weapon than Gaucher. I mean, Verbeek wanted to improve his top-6 in his system and was fortunate that Cutter became available. Verbeek does know he's in charge of the draft and depth in the Ducks system?
That’s wonderful for him.

Nonetheless, as of right now only 5 top 6 forwards have came out of the 2022 and 2023 drafts combined (Slafkovsky, Cooley, Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson), all of them being top 3 picks

Reactions: GunnarStahl

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
That’s wonderful for him.

Nonetheless, as of right now only 5 top 6 forwards have came out of the 2022 and 2023 drafts combined (Slafkovsky, Cooley, Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson), all of them being top 3 picks

That's wonderful for your specific standards. Let's divulge into it.

Bedard finished first in scoring for rookies with 61 points. Carlsson ranked 12th in scoring for rookies with 29 points. Fantilli finished 14th with 27 points. Fellow Duck LD Minty finished 13th in scoring for rookies with 28 points, just to give us perspective that maybe Carlsson didn't have that great a season despite being gifted a top line position, minutes, and the PP.

Carlsson is a "potential top-6 forward" today, but he finished 7th in scoring forwards on the team. He's worst at the faceoff dot than Zegras! Again, Verbeek gifted him a top line position and so we call him a top-6 forward, but was he really a top-6 forward last year? We're hoping Verbeek didn't screw him up by rushing him to the NHL.

Now, back to Verbeek complaining about lack of scoring in our system this year and getting fortunate that Cutter was available. Let's not disregard Snuggerud was available for the Ducks at 22nd overall in the 2022 draft. The Blues wanted Snuggerud in the NHL next year, but decided to stick around college for another year. Verbeek shared at the recent migration that Gaucher is still years away from the NHL.

Speaking of non top-10 draft scoring forwards not turning into anything, 2019 RW Colangelo might become an exception.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
That's wonderful for your specific standards. Let's divulge into it.

Bedard finished first in scoring for rookies with 61 points. Carlsson ranked 12th in scoring for rookies with 29 points. Fantilli finished 14th with 27 points. Fellow Duck LD Minty finished 13th in scoring for rookies with 28 points, just to give us perspective that maybe Carlsson didn't have that great a season despite being gifted a top line position, minutes, and the PP.

Carlsson is a "potential top-6 forward" today, but he finished 7th in scoring forwards on the team. He's worst at the faceoff dot than Zegras! Again, Verbeek gifted him a top line position and so we call him a top-6 forward, but was he really a top-6 forward last year? We're hoping Verbeek didn't screw him up by rushing him to the NHL.

Now, back to Verbeek complaining about lack of scoring in our system this year and getting fortunate that Cutter was available. Let's not disregard Snuggerud was available for the Ducks at 22nd overall in the 2022 draft. The Blues wanted Snuggerud in the NHL next year, but decided to stick around college for another year. Verbeek shared at the recent migration that Gaucher is still years away from the NHL.

Speaking of non top-10 draft scoring forwards not turning into anything, 2019 RW Colangelo might become an exception.
If you think it's too early to even call guys like Carlsson and Fantilli that then surely you can see the absurdity in making the claim that PV is struggling to draft top 6 forwards when there's only been 2 drafts since he's been GM

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Can't wait for the Value Of: McTavish/Carlsson threads
Well Carlsson was injured a lot and only played 55 games last year scoring 29 points which makes him a 43 point player.

Leafs give up Ryan Tverberg and a 3rd (only because Carlsson is young). Ducks can also take Dennis Hildeby instead of Tverberg because they don't have a goalie pipeline and Gibson sucks.

Ducks get a guy playing at just under a point per game in the AHL who seems ready to step into the NHL next year plus a draft pick.

Leafs get an injury prone player who already had a concussion they can hopefully develop into a 3rd line center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad