GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - June 28th - 7 P.M. / Round 2-7 - June 29th - 11 A.M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I saw how Marino has done here. He was awful in the playoffs and one of the worst defenseman in the league last season. Pesce can't do worse if he tried.
He could and itd be by injury and age - hes not spry and just dealt with a pretty serious injury not too long ago

I think it works our for us but its hardly a shoe-in

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
He could and itd be by injury and age - hes not spry and just dealt with a pretty serious injury not too long ago

I think it works our for us but its hardly a shoe-in
The Hurricanes defense fell off in the playoffs without him. With modern day medicine players are healing at faster/better rates then ever before.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I’d rather have Lauzon for 2 years at 2 million than Zadorov for 6 years at whatever number he’s getting. If Fitz was intent on adding a hitting machine.
Hitting machine you say? Well if we’re interested in a hitting machine, we’ll have to wait a couple years but you won’t find much better of a hitting machine than Stian Solberg.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Hitting machine you say? Well if we’re interested in a hitting machine, we’ll have to wait a couple years but you won’t find much better of a hitting machine than Stian Solberg.
I dont think anyone in this org wants to wait a few years.

Win now mode while Nico is on his cheap deal + Luke / Nemec ELC

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t see Iginla being that far away.

But it happens behind the scenes. Carolina must have given permission for it to be getting reported like this
Tij Iginla is on the short list for "highest development arc among 2024 draft-eligible players". He really skyrocketed, and that's a credit to him.

But Tij is still relatively young for the 2024 class and has a lot to work on. His skating stride needs to be cleaned up a bit, and his general fundamentals could use some polishing. Given how quickly he has developed? Yes, maybe he'll be ready to challenge for an NHL role in two years. It's tough to bet against a kid with his work ethic and high character.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
here’s my take on the marino situation that makes sense in my head:

if a guy like Mason Marchment were a UFA, the devils would be okay overpaying him because he fits a need. The Devils are well situated cap wise so a “slightly overpaid but we got our guy” move is fine, if not prudent.

since there isn’t a UFA available that fits that bill, they trade Marino for that guy and fill the newly-created hole with a “slightly overpaid but we got our guy” guy.

i like it

Reactions: Clam Jensen

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Nico, Mercer and the Hughes brothers might have been the only picks where they took the same guy I wanted. So I usually end up being disappointed with the picks. Sometimes it still works out, like with Nemec or even Mukhamadullin who was a big part of bringing Timo here.
Parise and Zajac were guys I openly wanted for the Devils when NJ drafted them. Also some later round guys like Bratt, Gritsyuk, McCarthy, Karpovich, Barabosha etc.

I have faith the Devils will not foolishly trade their only 1st round pick in 3 season and use it wisely.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
IMG_6201.jpeg
IMG_6202.jpeg

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I also wouldn’t be surprised if the pesce contract was close to Marino with a slight bump in Aav

Fitz is a salesmen

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
No Zadorov. No Pesce. Plz Fitz.
Pesce is an outstanding shut-down defender who is also good with the puck. He's a clear upgrade over Marino, whom I like. I'm happy with Fitzgerald upgrading the D, which will also get a huge bump from the 1+ year of experience for Luke and Nemec. We can also count on a LD upgrade over Brendan Smith. I'm optimistic.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Wonder if this is just a we’ll take the best offer we can get for Marino over the next few days situation.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Tried to find a source but more or less, after the trade, Pens fans said he was vocal about his dissatisfaction with the way the Pens treated his son - I don't remember the specifics and maybe I am way off base. And remember he never played for the Oilers after being drafted.

Either way, not super happy with this swap, but it's not like Pesce is a terrible player. It's really that I think the powerhouse era of this team is still a few seasons away and I don't like messing too much with that cap space. We better hope the cap accelerates even more than it did coming out of '05-13, which was a lot.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Pesce is an outstanding shut-down defender who is also good with the puck. He's a clear upgrade over Marino, whom I like. I'm happy with Fitzgerald upgrading the D, which will also get a huge bump from the 1+ year of experience for Luke and Nemec. We can also count on a LD upgrade over Brendan Smith. I'm optimistic.
I think Pesce has been fantastic to this point in his career.

The more relevant questions are not what he is now or what he was before, but what they project him to be and at what price. Canes fans noted his mobility has declined and he was somewhat less effective. Canes fans used to hold Pesce in higher regard than Skjei, but that's seemed to have reversed. Their FO seems to view it the same way, as Tulsky has at least paid lip service to trying to bring Skjei back, but have basically made zero attempts to re-sign Pesce.

Is Pesce going to be that same player? For how long? For $6.5M? For me, it's too much risk and has too many shades of the Palat deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad