GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (HFSJ Edition) - Round 1: Fri, Jun 28 4pm PT/7pm ET | Rounds 2-7: Sat, Jun 29, 8:30am PT/11:30am ET

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Oh I know, and if Grier feels the need to overpay like that, it should be like 15m for Stamkos instead of anything over 6.5 for Montour.
That would be so much worse

Stamkos hasn't had a true impact season since like 2019, making him the highest paid player in the league at 34 years old is a much worse decision than overpaying a good, but not great player at our greatest position of need

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
I think you could get Stammer for 10 or less. I just think getting him is a dumb move period.
I'm not sure there's a better player you can get right now for little as little asset cost for where this team is at than Stamkos. Surround the kids with winners and dogs. Montour disappeared completely this year.

I think Stamkos should be more realistic too just based off the contract. Montour will get like 8 and I hope that's not Grier.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm slowly adding scouting reports and whatnot to the first post in each prospect thread. So far everyone has material from Elite Prospects, The Athletic, and The Hockey Writers. I hopefully will continue to have stuff trickle into those threads over the next few days, plus I'll try to take some time to format them a bit better at some point as well.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I'm not sure there's a better player you can get right now for little as little asset cost for where this team is at than Stamkos. Surround the kids with winners and dogs. Montour disappeared completely this year.

I think Stamkos should be more realistic too just based off the contract. Montour will get like 8 and I hope that's not Grier.
I'm not saying it'd be the worst thing. I just dislike massively overpaying a mini coach who is clearly there for money.

A bit of hyberbole but what's he gonna do besides ramble at the bar about how you gotta get the best goalie in the last decade and a giant blue line thru trades? At his age, he's gonna post up for 1 tees vs show compete on the boards.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Walman and a 2nd for free is dog shit?
Did you see Grier interview on that? He’s like yeah Steve felt like he should throw that in. It was pretty telling Grier legitimately looked like he didn’t understand how he got the 2nd, and it doesn’t make up for 2 years of trade from a position of power and coming up empty or in a deficit

I don't think people realize how much the contracts were handcuffing Grier. Sure, the Kunin trade and Reimer/Barabanov non-deals weren't good, but that's ultimately nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Ultimately I think the move that has the highest chance of blowing up in his face is trading down in 2022.
Some of the contracts handcuffed him not all of them, he overplayed his hand on the Karlsson and Burns deals and the Timo deal was just not enough return. That being said his drafting is making up for it hopefully his garbage UFA signings don’t ruin it 😂

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
I'm not saying it'd be the worst thing. I just dislike massively overpaying a mini coach who is clearly there for money.

A bit of hyberbole but what's he gonna do besides ramble at the bar about how you gotta get the best goalie in the last decade and a giant blue line thru trades? At his age, he's gonna post up for 1 tees vs show compete on the boards.
Fair enough, I guess I'm kinda use to that already with #44 still hanging around :laugh:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Some of the contracts handcuffed him not all of them, he overplayed his hand on the Karlsson and Burns deals and the Timo deal was just not enough return. That being said his drafting is making up for it hopefully his garbage UFA signings don’t ruin it 😂
Underlying assumptions:

1) Grier wants to help the Sharks
2) It was well-known that Burns/Karlsson/Meier was available
3) Plattner had certain financial conditions Grier had to meet

Hence, Grier undoubtedly took the best return available. Maybe there is some nuance in the way he valued picks/prospects (say he took the NJ offer because he preferred Zetterlund and Mukhamadullin over St. Louis's two first-rounders, etc.)

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Personally, I like and admire the job that Grier has done. There’s no question it’s been painful. I can’t blame him for that, he was given contracts that were terrible to come into.
He found ways to tend to these issues and made some astute trades for players. He has committed to building through the draft and trades.
I am not blind to the fact that not everything has worked out. That’s professional sports.
He and his staff are showing that they care about this team and want success.
I can see it.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Did you see Grier interview on that? He’s like yeah Steve felt like he should throw that in. It was pretty telling Grier legitimately looked like he didn’t understand how he got the 2nd, and it doesn’t make up for 2 years of trade from a position of power and coming up empty or in a deficit.

I would suspect most people here would think the Karlsson, Meier and Hertl trades were good trades. Burns not so much, but he was in a position of weakness on that one.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I would suspect most people here would think the Karlsson, Meier and Hertl trades were good trades. Burns not so much, but he was in a position of weakness on that one.
If Muk and Musty work out, paired with the breakout of Zetterlund, I really think the Meier trade was extremely under appreciated.

I also really liked the return for Karlsson considering his contract. Grier is doing a fantastic job in my eyes on both the trade and draft front

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
If Muk and Musty work out, paired with the breakout of Zetterlund, I really think the Meier trade was extremely under appreciated.

I also really liked the return for Karlsson considering his contract. Grier is doing a fantastic job in my eyes on both the trade and draft front
At this point in time I really think those trades are clear wins for what the organization needed, and the draft returns only made the trades an even better result.

Ship out Karlsson, 8 months after he was assumed untradable, for our rebuild ppg 1C who's mentoring our young Swedes, a high pick that turns into Sam Dickinson, and spare parts during the rebuild.

Ship out pending free agent Meier for a pick that becomes Musty, our top Wing prospect and OHL ppg leader, plus our second best D prospect, plus a serviceable middle 6 wing, plus a pick that helps turn the PIT pick into Dickinson.

Rather than being a sclerotic team on the decline, we now have a clear timeline and a full pipeline that matches it. What's the critique, that maybe someone would have given maybe a better prospect on someone's list, or another 3rd round pick or something?

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

Meier trade netting a solid middle 6 winger (Zetterlund… top 6?) and, if Musty and Muk work out, a top 6 winger, a top 4 dman, and half of a Dickinson… that’s a hell of a haul.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I think the Burns trade was the only trade I thought was legit booty buttcheeks. Don't think anyone from that trade is still with us

Burns trade was from weak position and yeah, a rookie GM got fleeced. But these days, he's the one doing the fleecing.

Loaning Ozzy Weisblatt to the Admirals which led to Barry Freaking Trotz wanting him in exchange for Afanasyev, even if Afanasyev is a nothingburger (worst case scenario), is a huge win.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
At this point in time I really think those trades are clear wins for what the organization needed, and the draft returns only made the trades an even better result.

Ship out Karlsson, 8 months after he was assumed untradable, for our rebuild ppg 1C who's mentoring our young Swedes, a high pick that turns into Sam Dickinson, and spare parts during the rebuild.

Ship out pending free agent Meier for a pick that becomes Musty, our top Wing prospect and OHL ppg leader, plus our second best D prospect, plus a serviceable middle 6 wing, plus a pick that helps turn the PIT pick into Dickinson.

Rather than being a sclerotic team on the decline, we now have a clear timeline and a full pipeline that matches it. What's the critique, that maybe someone would have given maybe a better prospect on someone's list, or another 3rd round pick or something?
The Karlsson trade feels like a f***ing masterclass--yet it was executed by a manager whom many questioned when he got the job, fleecing a "boy wonder" type in Dubas.

The financials of that deal? Who cares, right? It was basically all about maximizing the return, and Grier rightfully figured retaining what he did and taking back what he did in order to get back a 1st round pick from an aging, vulnerable team was the #1 priority. On top of it, he brought in a guy (Granlund) as part of the deal who ended up being an invaluable mentor and useful contributor to a team that needed those elements desperately.

To then go and use his assets to get that pick up to 11 and get one of the top defensemen in the draft, a guy who feels like he has the potential to be a top-pairing d-man on a playoff team? Like I said, masterclass.

Let's also not forget to credit the guys Grier decided to surround himself with, which is a credit to him as well, guys like Morehouse and Fitzgerald, both of whom had pretty appealing track records when they joined the Sharks and are proving to be invaluable assets to the player personnel department of this organization now.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

It strikes me odd how some people watched the Sharks hold onto a group of aging vets in the hope we could somehow win a cup with that core, identify the adverse situation that ultimately put the franchise in, and then try to pick the fly $#!+ out of the pepper on the trades that Grier essentially had to make i order to hasten the rebuild - as though those moves were independent of one another.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
This could be the best draft in sharks history. However, that's not that hard when you are given the #1 pick, and trade away all your good players.

Grier has made an army of bad moves/signings since he came. He did well dumping the bad contracts for the most part, but he also used much of that savings up to now on absolute garbarge. Kunin, sturm, lindbom, Buroughs, Benning, G Smith, and co have been absolute garbarge for the money they cost and they all came not as salary dumps like Hoffman but as his own signings. Quinn to coach was also just horrific. I am not a fan of warsofsky either, though I hope im wrong there.

Walman trade is reasonable for the 2nd rounder (love the LSW pick!), but the goodrow play was horrific. Adding a 3.4M 4th liner who doesnt want to be here and getting nothing in return?? very strange...

Time will tell, but so far, Grier has not added anything of quality. It feels like he is resigned to giving up another year, possibly two, at the very bottom. Any GM can build a great farm if they suck for long enough. Pens did it. They sucked year after year and acquired top picks like sid/malkin/fluery/Whitney/Staal as top five picks 5 years in a row. Thats not amazing GM work. that's prolonged sucking.

A great GM would see this summer and next summer as the chance to deploy big cap on quality vets. Now that the draft is over, they can pencil in Eklund, Zetterlund, Smith, Celebrini, Graf, and likely two of Musty/Haltunnen/ Bystedt/Edstrom/CHernyshov/Afansyev/Guschkin/Bordy/other to be in the linup. That's likely 7 to 9 forward roster spots filled over the next 2 years and for the foreseeable future. That means they need 3 top end free agent forwards to fill out the forward roster forever. Figure 7M per = 21M of additional cap for forwards.

On D: Dickinson and Mukh are likely. Thrun perhaps too. Here is where the sharks need to invest in FA's or trades. figure signing 3 good vet D for 7M per and thats 21M too.

Thats 42M in added cap space for 3 top line vet forwards and 3 top line vet D.

The rest of the forwards are the aforementioned ones that sum up to just 10-20M total mostly on ELCs.

The D too would be largely ELC/Filler and cost just 5M.

Add in 6M for goaltending and your total cap hit is just 72M (not including Vlasic or Granny who are short term fillers)

This is why I think its time now for grier to start bringin in high end vets in their late 20's for 7 year deals. They wont be able to add this much UFA talent in one summer. They need to start accumulating quality vet guys now in my opinion. Having an army of ELCs is a massive boon but its completely wasted the talent you bring in is Walman and Goodrow. They dont have to tank again and waste the first year of smith and eklund and graf's seocnd ELC year and possibly Mack's first ELC year too. Losing those super cheap years with a garbage roster that tanks hurts. Put in the quality guys and lets shoot to make Playoffs this year.

We have a cupboard stocked enough, lets get some wins!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad