GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (HFSJ Edition) - Round 1: Fri, Jun 28 4pm PT/7pm ET | Rounds 2-7: Sat, Jun 29, 8:30am PT/11:30am ET

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
There should be an angry reaction on this board.
inside-out.gif

Reactions: DG93

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I wondered to myself today whether there's a gentlemen's agreement for the first pick amongst teams where they take all the time to give teams a chance to start making phone calls. Because I don't know of a league where this ever doesn't haphappen
I think it could be faster, but the TV/radio pundits/talking heads need their dissecting/analysis time between picks, so teams told to go slow and take those full minutes.

It really zooms tomorrow. Like down to 1 minute (from 3 in first) allowed to input selection and get go ahead to announce.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
If they could trade back a couple spots and pick up a 3rd, that'd be a good move.

There’s a couple of teams with two 2nds in nice spots: Carolina (34 + 50), Buffalo (41 + 42), and Pens (44 + 46). Maybe they can get 2x 2nd for Ferraro instead of a first if they make some additions like Bordeleau or taking back some cap dumps?

Also, what good is a 3rd to a Sharks draft table? Probably should just throw our 3rd in with the above trade and ask for a 4th back. The Sharks’d get better results that way :naughty:

Last edited:

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Anyone worried about the Dickinson pick, just watch this availability. He'll be likeable. And he'll be solid. Comes across as sharp. He's also young - 6 days younger than Macklin. He has a chance to be more than solid.

Buium would have been sexier as a pick but this really fits for what they're trying to build.

Can't go wrong at 33 with Chernyshov, Badinka, Kleber, imho.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
PuckMedia thinks that the 48th pick is the correct value to add in order to jump from 14th to 11th. However, that is if you have no knowledge of a specific draft. For this draft, the talent drops off from 11th to 14th, so giving up 42nd pick is worth it. I like it.

Boy, the talent really did drop off considerably past the 12th pick. What a genius move by Grier the day before.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I have a few thoughts. First, what a day. Even being in the car and having my wife read the picks to me off her phone and me explaining to her the significance of some of the picks, it was super exciting. And my wife is no sports dummy - I'd put her ahead of many men on sports knowledge, but she hasn't dived in whole heartedly on the Sharks like I did after we won the lottery. Best moment of the draft is when I realized she thought Eiserman was Yzerman's son as we were waiting on Detroit's pick and we were finally in our condo with the TV on.

Also interested to hear what those of you at the draft thought of the Sphere as a hosting location. From a televised event perspective, I thought it looked incredible and thought the NFL and NBA should immediately move every draft there. But maybe it's different when you're there live.

Like most people on this forum, I was praying hard for it to be Buium. When I saw his highlight package, I just didn't care at all about the size issue and thought this guy is hands down no doubt about it the best defenseman in the draft. But clearly size knocked him down. If you told me he was going to be the sixth defenseman picked, I'd have laughed at you. IMO, some of the teams who took defensemen are going to regret passing on that kid.

I'm pretty pleased with the Dickinson pick though. I never really thought much about Levshunov at all cause I knew there was no chance, but that's why I did the poll on the defensemen and I was surprised Dickinson didn't get more love. I know he's not as flashy as Buium or Parekh were, but I did really like his all around game/size combo and how he skated with the puck. I was willing to go with a boom/bust type pick at 11 if it was for defense, but I really can't see Dickinson busting outside of some sort of unforeseen future physical issue. The Hunters will round out the rest of his rough edges and he'll come to us well-cooked. Can't wait.

Any doubts I had about Grier as a GM after today are done. That was the most masterful draft the Sharks have ever had. He knew right where he had to get to to get the guy we needed and didn't panic move up when things started falling our way. We're in good hands.

What a great day.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Absolutely fascinated to see who we draft at 33. Was not expecting Igor Chernyshov to be there and that must be tempting.

I wanted a bigger, mobile RHD at this pick theoretically but you have to go BPA still with our period of development. Besides, I wouldn't be shocked if a Badinka, Elick, Brunicke type is still there at 53 or more feasibly Adam Kleber.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
So the Hawks traded picks 20, 34, 50, 54 and 61 for picks 18 and 27. What the hell are they doing over there?
The even weirder thing to me is who they picked then. I don't think they were the top guys on board, although Boisvert is very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad