GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft - Day 2, 11:30 AM ESPN+ (Rangers Select EJ Emery)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
In what way did he clean house?

I don't recall that at all

I try to keep up, but I have a job also lol

Some thing may slip through
Gordie Clark, Nick Bobrov, Kevin Maxwell & Chris Morehouse are all gone which was basically the braintrust of Gorton/Sather's scouting staff.

I was just f***ing with you about keeping up...I know nothing about prospects, but we all laughed when Gorton hired Bobrov in Monteal.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
Did you just try to correct someone but listed Robert Bortuzzo's AHL All-Star nod?

Everyone knows the real future star of that 2011 AHL All-Star team was Lawrence Nycholat :sarcasm:

You'd be delighted if our 1st round pick puts up something like 74 pts in 560 games?

Yes. Yes I would be delighted if our 30th overall pick ends up playing 560 games in the NHL and is a notable enough player to gain an all star nod (regardless of the actual validity of all star nods), I'd be well and truly over the moon. This is all ignoring the fact that Emery is a much better prospect than Bortuzzo ever was, the comparison is nonsensical fear mongering from people who've clearly never seen the player.

Other 30th overall picks for context, 75% of them have had a career anywhere close to Bortuzzo had.... so yeah gimmie Bortuzzo or whatever you guys are crying about.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I mean Gordon and Bobrov were the ones with the keys on the Lias and Kravtsov picks. Would be very silly to blame Drury for that
Bobrov killed us with the lias/krav picks….
As the head euro scout his word carried a lot of weight….
Those were the first 2 drafts after the rebuild/retool and sell off of some of our beloved guys.
To miss on 2 top 10 picks back to back years is crippling….
Chytil not ever being able to play a full season is also a killer.
Getting Cuylle for Lias was great, but Cuylle isn’t someone anyone expects to go top 10 OA.
I hate bobrov for that.
This entire board was debating who they wanted. Half wanted Walstrom and the other have wanted Dobson , both were there ripe for the taking and we pick krav.
The isles quickly scooped up the other 2.
Thank god Walstrom never panned out, cause that would have been the only thing worse then not having a RD of
Fox
Dobson
Schneider
Right now….

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
You'd be delighted if our 1st round pick puts up something like 74 pts in 560 games?
Picks like this are akin to taking a Guard in the NFL. Not the sexiest, nor will their stats ever wow you, but you need these types of players on your team. The organization has no D depth in the system, so if this kid makes the team in 3-4 years & contributes, it's a huge win.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Gordie Clark, Nick Bobrov, Kevin Maxwell & Chris Morehouse are all gone which was basically the braintrust of Gorton/Sather's scouting staff.

I was just f***ing with you about keeping up...I know nothing about prospects, but we all laughed when Gorton hired Bobrov in Monteal.
Late July '22... makes sense.

I tend to work A LOT through the summer (just finished a month straight). I def missed this.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Not defending him.

I said you don't know if he's right or wrong yet.

Maybe it's my fault for being a NYR fan & having lived through the McIlraths, Lias', Krapsovs over the years when there were actual players sill on the board.

I have ZERO faith in our front office, ESPECIALLY when it comes to drafting.
After top 10 picks, NYR has actually been on point when taking D in the ladder stages of the 1st Rd.
Skjei/miller/schneider are all NHL regulars
Lundkvist is a nhl player, but never took that next step, we were lucky to get a 1st back for him.
Either way, this is a new regime and scouting staff.. I can’t only rate them to what they have taken so far, and I haven’t been really disappointed in them since Drury/his guys replaced gorton and his.

Reactions: Riche16

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Picks like this are akin to taking a Guard in the NFL. Not the sexiest, nor will their stats ever wow you, but you need these types of players on your team. The organization has no D depth in the system, so if this kid makes the team in 3-4 years & contributes, it's a huge win.
Agreed. NFL Draft - Every year, we see picks #20-40 become core pieces to the upper echelon teams of the league. This is the same concept.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
ALERT ALERT
OP notes coverage round 2 on "ESPN"
I went to record and ESPN has something else

= 1 of 2 things:
1) It actually is on ESPN and some programming idiot effed up
or
2) It is not on ESPN but instead on ESPN + or whetev they call that

separate pay for channel if so,
pls do keep a live thread for round 2

thnx
bern
Someone at ESPN traded youth for vets 10 years ago and now they're paying the price. Should have listened to Bern.

Reactions: bernmeister

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Sure. Our scouts are always the smartest guys in the room but this dude is the clown.

Listen, I don't know shit about the kid but folks that criticize us for going off the board have been right 99% of the time.

Obv I hope youre correct & he is a CLOWN

Unfortunately, history shows our scouts & management are the clowns.
This pick is NOT off the board though. It’s pretty much right in line. Except for Bacon. Hahahahaha. NYR aren’t the outliers here, this clown is.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
If his value is in his ability to hold other teams off the board, then yes. I’d be delighted. You know goalies don’t score either… hahaha. The bottom line is he isn’t being drafted for points, he’s being drafted for PREVENTING opposition points. If he ever develops ANY offense it’s a bonus as long as he’s doing what he was actually drafted to do. DEFENSE.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Emery was in the mold of Drury picks: not exciting but solid players. He'll be a piece in 2027 or 2028.

I'd like to see them try and take some centers who have skill today. If they can add another pick, not a bad time to look into a goalie again in the later rounds (only if they can add a pick).

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean, at the 30th overall pick? That's actually a successful draft pick, I would say. I wouldn't be thrilled or even happy, but 560 NHL games and a Cup win is quite the successful career.
I think people have unrealistic expectations for what you're going to find at #30. Look back to 2000, the #30 picks:

Brad Lambert
Zachary Dean
Mavrik Bourque
John Beecher
Joe Veleno
Eeli Tolvanen
Sam Steel
Nick Merkley
John Quenneville
Ryan Hartman
Tanner Pearson
Rickard Rakell
Brock Nelson
Simon Despres
Tom McCollum
Nick Ross
Matt Corrente
Vladimir Mihalik
Andy Rogers
Shawn Belle
Jim Slater
David Steckel
Jeff Taffe

I mean there are some good players there like Nelson, Pearson, Rakell, Hartman. But there are also a lot more guys who were marginal players or who didn't make it at all. If you find a guy who is an NHL regular for several seasons at #30, that's pretty good. Of course we all hope for the home run (I guess here that's Nelson) but the expectation should be a lot lower.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The last defenseman we picked late to much derision was Brady Skjei, who also barely scored in juniors and early in college as well.

I watched McDonagh close when he and Stepan played together in college. Brendan Smith was that teams go to offensive damn. McDonagh scored at the NHL level not because of any instinct, but pure skating and mobility.

Frankly we should have used Yandle over McDonagh on PP1 but he made it work is my point. Guys find offense in the NHL by finding space and athleticism is auspicious towards that end.

This ain’t to say this kid will score 30 points. But I assume they’ve had him focusing very heavily on the defensive side and that more offense will come with time and experience.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
boring ass pick , but we were really left with complete scraps at 30. Would have rather packaged the pick with a player to get someone who could help now , but whatever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad