GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft - Day 2, 11:30 AM ESPN+ (Rangers Select EJ Emery)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
At this stage it’s a crap shoot anyways but I laughed out loud seeing this

not ideal...but i like that he's going to nodak, that they recruited him gives me some optimism there's real potential there. at 30, the odds aren't great no matter what. realistically, there's not much depth at d prospect wise so the pick isn't surprising.

personally, would i have preferred a forward who's got legit skill, is a dynamic skater, and serious upside potential? absolutely. i just don't think there's any you could take in this spot where the risk/reward is reasonable.

i would have been happy to see them pick up a couple picks to move down. maybe there was no interest, maybe they really liked the kid, but he's in the org now so hopefully he exceeds all expectations.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
You're going to like Emery. He's one of the most hyper-athletic kids to come out in a while. His lower body strength is absurd. Like a NFL RB, frankly. He's almost unmovable when he's pinning a guy against the boards and he's incredibly powerful in front of the net.

He's a solid pick at 30. Let him cook at ND for 2 years.
thanks!

Actually, I just watched a different highliight package and I have to say, he's very similar stick-wise to K'Andre BUT.... and this is a big difference, once he disrupts the puck, he separates the player and rubs them out along the wall in a more aggressive way than K'Andre ever does. If he can play fast enough with the puck and adjust to higher levels of speed, he's going to be a GREAT pick in a few years. 2 years at UND... and then let's see where he's at...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The thing I like about Emery is the way his lower body works. He's agile as a mothef***er and just laughably powerful. You can really see what he gained from his dad being a pro (CFL) football player. He moves like one and is powerful like one.

Plus his work ethic is through the roof.

He's a high upside guy if he can ever find offense. Like, if he could be a 40 point defender, he'd be a top-pairing guy. His defense and athleticism are that good. If he can't find offense, he'll be a 3/4 defender for a decade plus.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
thanks!

Actually, I just watched a different highliight package and I have to say, he's very similar stick-wise to K'Andre BUT.... and this is a big difference, once he disrupts the puck, he separates the player and rubs them out along the wall in a more aggressive way than K'Andre ever does. If he can play fast enough with the puck and adjust to higher levels of speed, he's going to be a GREAT pick in a few years. 2 years at UND... and then let's see where he's at...

Miller could only dream of having the defensive acumen and lower body strength of Emery (it's why the comparison is so f***ing dumb from ESPN).

Ironically they could be ideal defensive partners.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So now that the pick is in, we can all agree that they absolutely could have traded down but Dolan told them they have to make a pick tonight, right?

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
So now that the pick is in, we can all agree that they absolutely could have traded down but Dolan told them they have to make a pick tonight, right?

I hope not, there were about 300 people left in the crowd when the Rangers finally picked. It’s not like they did any special announcement either like Montreal or Philly.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
The thing I like about Emery is the way his lower body works. He's agile as a mothef***er and just laughably powerful. You can really see what he gained from his dad being a pro (CFL) football player. He moves like one and is powerful like one.

Plus his work ethic is through the roof.

He's a high upside guy if he can ever find offense. Like, if he could be a 40 point defender, he'd be a top-pairing guy. His defense and athleticism are that good. If he can't find offense, he'll be a 3/4 defender for a decade plus.

I don't agree with any of this.....

There are plenty of bonafide top-pairing defensive defenseman who don't sniff 40 points a year.

Second, penciling him in as a Top4d with a long career is awfully optimist. We have Adam Fox and Braden Schneider here already. Will he jump Schneider or someone else? possibly. seems more of a longshot than a forgeone conclusion though.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I don't agree with any of this.....

There are plenty of bonafide top-pairing defensive defenseman who don't sniff 40 points a year.

Second, penciling him in as a Top4d with a long career is awfully optimist. We have Adam Fox and Braden Schneider here already. Will he jump Schneider or someone else? possibly. seems more of a longshot than a forgeone conclusion though.
Looking too far ahead, imo

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There are infinity guys who in their draft year went 3-19-22 141 PIM and made the show.
Not really. Most defensive defensemen in the NHL scored a lot at lower levels and many of the exceptions went very late or undrafted.

I don't care, I hope the kid wins the Norris ten times, but it's a very fair observation that lack of offensive ability is a dismal sign for most prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad