2024 NHL Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
xavier veilleux defenseman.
I’m actually a tad familiar with him because he was teammates with my favorite player in the draft Boisvert.

He’s known as a smart calm 2way defenseman. Hes a really good passer.

Heading to Harvard NCAA

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Very happy with our draft
Agreed. First 3 picks weren’t cute. Smart and don’t over think. All 3 could be important players for the organization one day.

Goalies are a crap shoot. You can never have too many. In the middle rounds I’m not gonna cry.

xavier veilleux another smart good skating defenseman who can be developed. Solid draft.

That trade with CHI was a home run.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
IMG_7696.jpeg

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Islanders basially get a B+ imo

PROS
-Eiserman, two goalies, and a very good centerman

CONS
-Could've had another center over another LHD in round 6, Lennox is not ranked highly

Reactions: scott99

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
So you are admitting you are trolling?

Nope. I'm admitting just what I said - That some here cannot tell if I'm serious or joking so they should assume that I'm joking so they relax and live longer.

Thanks for playing, "How to emulate Trollstomper." We have some lovely parting gifts for you.

*So there's no confusion....I'm totally joking by the way. :sarcasm:**

(**Emoji added to further cement this fact)

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Very happy with this draft - picked up an extra pick and ended up with a player in the first round they'd have been happy to get at 18. Kept all the picks to restock a very barren cupboard, and seemed to make decent choices overall. Still lots of work to do with the roster, but this type of approach to the draft was sorely needed, in my view.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Nope. I'm admitting just what I said - That some here cannot tell if I'm serious or joking so they should assume that I'm joking so they relax and live longer.

Thanks for playing, "How to emulate Trollstomper." We have some lovely parting gifts for you.

*So there's no confusion....I'm totally joking by the way. :sarcasm:**

(**Emoji added to further cement this fact)
People take this forum way too seriously. Back in the JT days I had a poster threaten me as I thought the islanders should trade him as he didn’t want to sign an extension. Haven’t seen him much since JT left as I was proven right that he would leave.

Reactions: periferal

scott99

May 13, 2005
Islanders basially get a B+ imo

PROS
-Eiserman, two goalies, and a very good centerman

CONS
-Could've had another center over another LHD in round 6, Lennox is not ranked highly
I was going to post the exact same grade, very good draft, B+. I liked every pick. Excited to see Eiserman (the better Yzerman) and Chuck Bednarik at BU, interested to see if Pulkkinen comes to the U.S. (he said he wasn’t sure yet), looking forward to seeing the goalie’s progress, Gamzin has one year left on his contract, so he’ll be 22 when he comes over, and there will be 1 year left on Varlamov’s contract at that time, perfect timing.

Reactions: Osakahaus

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I like the Eiserman and Bednarik picks. I'm fine with goalies - if there aren't any skaters that the scouts think are top notch, then better to use a couple of darts on goalies.

I love the Pulkkinen pick. Watching his videos he seems like a good skater with good skill for a huge guy, and he seems to have a very low panic threshold. Honestly, too low sometimes where he'll put a move on a guy who's right on top of him. But it's easier to dial that back than go in the other direction. I'll be interested to see how he develops against better competition.

Reactions: Potvottier

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Poirier at 115 would be the cherry on top

I'll write more later as I was involved with family stuff and the European Cup all day yesterday, but had I been watching live, I'd have said that with the selection of Eiserman, there was no need for Poirier.

They fill the exact same organizational slot. One is a lefty shot and one of the youngest players in the draft. The other is a righty shot.

Still really like Poirier and truly believe they'd have targeted him in Round 2, but with Eiserman falling into their laps, they could take one of their other faves.

Reactions: Potvottier

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
With no trades to clear out space - it tells you Isles are bringing back their players or it wasn’t going to take an asset to move them out.

My preference right now would be to get cheap 6th D man and spend the remaining cap hit on a top 6 F.

Something like Wahlstrom for Heinola
Qualify Holmstrom and Heinola at .875
Run a 22 man roster and give Arvidsson just shy of 4.

There was the Rosner quote about how the team is re-upping Wahlstrom and that they would be looking for a return if they were to move him.

In any case, yes, using all 6 picks and making no moves seems like it means they're bringing things back with tweaks. Not written in stone, but it did look like any significant moves would require the usage of these first 3 picks as tradeable assets.

With buyouts taking place, I mean, it sure does look like a Skinner would be one of those candidates for signing with someone real cheap in order to be part of a successful outfit that's going for it.

When the RFAs and Reilly are re-upped, there really won't be a lot of dough to play with on the free market.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Something tells me Bednarik is going to be a fan favourite and a player that will win a Mr. Islander award in the future. I thought Eiserman was the pick of the draft for the Isles, but more I read into Bednarik makes me think he may be the one.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Can never have enough goalie depth and none of our recent picks have taken the next step so makes sense at this point

Actually, goalie depth can be a problem, to a degree, if you're not able to get them the ice time and minutes they need.

In addition, as has been touched upon over the considerate history of particularly these boards, one basically doesn't even need to draft goalies because they generally take so long to become an actual topic for your team. In addition, your organization generally has to spend a good amount of hands-on time in the process.

We also continually see goalies coming out of the college ranks and from Europe as fairly finished products in their mid-20s when they can just be signed and go to work.

This said, the Gamzin pick looks like a bit of an inside job (Naumovs) while Gidlöf was actually considered by one or two of the well-known prospect pundits to perhaps be the best goaltender available in this draft. From what I've seen, the size and athleticism combination looks seriously promising.

Snow running the rest of the draft? Back to back goalies. This one’s another giant. Big Swede. Only 18.

Interesting when we drafted Koskinen he was 21 and then we took 18 year old Nilsson. Same thing today.
Interesting with Lennox Tikkenen and Skarek

Never liked the Lennox pick myself. Just too little info to work on during that pandemic period.

This draft tells me they don't now either.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I was going to post the exact same grade, very good draft, B+. I liked every pick. Excited to see Eiserman (the better Yzerman) and Chuck Bednarik at BU, interested to see if Pulkkinen comes to the U.S. (he said he wasn’t sure yet), looking forward to seeing the goalie’s progress, Gamzin has one year left on his contract, so he’ll be 22 when he comes over, and there will be 1 year left on Varlamov’s contract at that time, perfect timing.
also makes our goalie depth 100 times better, and Namurovs makes Gamzin a much nicer pick in reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad