• Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
In my 20+ years on HF Boards, I have never seen a prospect so unanimously despised as a possible selection for our club leading into a draft more than Brady Tkachuk. 95% of the posters on the Habs board were convinced he’d be nothing more than a bottom six grinder. We collectively wanted “skill.” Many posters had anxiety in the weeks leading into the draft at the thought of us drafting him. :laugh:

2nd is Louis Leblanc. Ugh, we all knew it was coming and many of us were not impressed in the slightest.

3rd is David Reinbacher, but mainly because everyone knew it would mean no Michkov.
I agree. Everyone thought Brady would just be a grinder and didn't have much upside. He only scored 8 goals in his draft year.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
For the record though, no one wanted Tkachuk at the time for a myriad of reasons. You'd be hard pressed to find a poster who was actually all about taking him.
I don't disagree as I was one of them lol. It doesn't mean that we weren't wrong to value the age difference (along with many other factors) so much.

Not directed at you, but I can't stand this "well this board didn't want this player anyways" argument. Why is the input of people who leisurely watch clips/read reports on prospects being compared to professionals with unlimited resources who have devoted their careers to do this full-time? Shouldn't the comparison be made to the professionals of other teams on the same playing field as opposed to a hockey board? Not to mention that when a pick that was frowned upon during draft time doesn't work out, a bunch of excuses come up such as "his development was ruined, the better options weren't popular on here, he had to overcome injury, there were valid concerns to skip on this player since other teams have done it...etc". However, when that frowned-upon pick does work out, the posters that weren't a fan of the pick get ridiculed because the other player they wanted ended up being worse and all of a sudden, none of those excuses I mentioned are valid in this scenario.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I don't believe McCagg has a source telling him this for one second lol. He has a draft prediction pool that costs $5 to enter and the winner gets $200. He's mentioned he only has 18 entries and doesn't wanna pay out of pocket, and now he magically has a source leaking the top 6 order. Poor old Grant is just trying to drive as much traffic as possible to his page to avoid losing money from the draft pool :laugh:

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I don't believe McCagg has a source telling him this for one second lol. He has a draft prediction pool that costs $5 to enter and the winner gets $200. He's mentioned he only has 18 entries and doesn't wanna pay out of pocket, and now he magically has a source leaking the top 6 order. Poor old Grant is just trying to drive as much traffic as possible to his page to avoid losing money from the draft pool :laugh:
Definitely wouldn't put that past him. Also not the most outlandish prediction at the end of the day though.

Reactions: dinodebino

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I don't disagree as I was one of them lol. It doesn't mean that we weren't wrong to value the age difference (along with many other factors) so much.

Not directed at you, but I can't stand this "well this board didn't want this player anyways" argument. Why is the input of people who leisurely watch clips/read reports on prospects being compared to professionals with unlimited resources who have devoted their careers to do this full-time? Shouldn't the comparison be made to the professionals of other teams on the same playing field as opposed to a hockey board? Not to mention that when a pick that was frowned upon during draft time doesn't work out, a bunch of excuses come up such as "his development was ruined, the better options weren't popular on here, he had to overcome injury, there were valid concerns to skip on this player since other teams have done it...etc". However, when that frowned-upon pick does work out, the posters that weren't a fan of the pick get ridiculed because the other player they wanted ended up being worse and all of a sudden, none of those excuses I mentioned are valid in this scenario.
Yeah no problem, all good!

I wasn't really using it as an argument, I just wasn't sure if you were coming at with an air of "remember back when you guys did a dumb thing? Good times." But you included yourself in the follow up so I see that's not the angle you were taking. Not trying to invalidate the thought behind your argument, for sure.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Problem is odds don't move on insider knowledge but rather on money flows. Demidov gives the worst odds, therefore he is our most probably pick, because he is probably the player in which there is the most money at 5.

Don't think it mean more than that.

Bookie will adjust the odds in function of the money flow to edge their position.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
What's the closest comparable? I'm afraid of Goldenhands' witchery so I want to see the upside and make my peace with it. The next Koivu?

Lundell+

Right.

You need clutch players not necessarily 50 goal scorers or 80 assist guys. See Matthews and Marner vs a guy like Verhaegue.

You need grit, size and mobility. If you can’t get to the front of the net you won’t score garbage goals.

But you also need high percentage shooters. You just can’t depend on them for everything.

Look, I know Dutch players like Dutch Gretzky are the best, but I think we need something else here.

Reactions: overlords

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Problem is odds don't move on insider knowledge but rather on money flows. Demidov gives the worst odds, therefore he is our most probably pick, because he is probably the player in which there is the most money at 5.

Bookie will adjust the odds in function of the money flow to edge their position.
I know that's how it works but something was super weird the day of the Slaf draft the way it shifted hard towards Slaf. I was reading everything and the consensus really didn't change much up until the selection. Almost everyone still thought we were taking Wright. Maybe a few massive bets from people who had inside information on our pick?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
1000005246.jpg

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Hey guys does anybody here remember which year Bob McKenzie was predicting almost every single pick on Twitter right before the pick was made?

I was looking for an article or tabs about that but can’t find anything.

It’s probably this thread from 2021 where he predicts the first 16 picks.

Reactions: GREMLIN

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal

Yup, I've repeated it numerous times in here but don't take betting odds moving as if the line managers have more knowledge than we do of who will go where. They post an initial list a couple weeks or months prior to the draft and move it from there based on the $ that comes in. The probability of profit % on markets with 4 runners or above is so high they don't even have to worry who's picked where if it's traded properly. I posted and moved prop markets for Sports Interaction on a couple different drafts, it really has no meaning at all.

Reactions: Dick Duff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad