Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure about the grittier part, but it was my understanding that the WHL is closer to what the NHL is in terms of style of play. At least, as far as physicality is concerned.

Here’s to hoping the Ducks were one of the two teams that had Sennecke in their top-10 (as per Bob).

Interesting comment about the WHL.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Scott Wheeler says that as the draft is getting closer, he’s hearing Sennecke is firmly in the mix to Anaheim at 3rd overall and that he feels the Ducks are considering him.

That would shake things up quite a bit.

1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Sennecke

That would be ideal. One of Demidov/Lindstrom would be ours.
Demidov is definitely not a Little ball of hate type player

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
My only concern with players like Lindstrom, and not necessarily Lindstrom, just players like him... you have to wonder how guys who dominate juniors with their physical tools and size will do when suddenly they aren't the biggest guys on the ice anymore. Lindstrom is a big boy but there are plenty of 6'4 220 lbs dmen in the NHL today.

If he's dominating mostly due to his size vs his peers, he may struggle to replicate the same style in the NHL. Or maybe not, he could continue to get stronger.

I mean there is concern for translatability for every player whatever the way they dominate

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Fair.

But Lindstrom does not just dominate because of his size and he is still a very big player already by NHL standard.

I have legitimate concerns about his actual talent level. He is big, strong and fast but I haven't witnessed much evidence of high end puck skill or translatable IQ/vision. Health concerns aside I think he is a high risk to plateau as a middle of the lineup complimenary winger like Josh Anderson although maybe a little smarter lol.

The kid could also be a total stud but he will need to show that he has more in his toolbox than out skating and overpowering other junior kids. Perhaps he doesn't need to show other skillsets and is just choosing to keep the game simple. It will be tough to get a good read on him until he turns pro. His size/speed make him something of a Byfield-lite at the same age and despite Byfield clearly being the better prospect it has taken him longer than expected to become an effective NHLer as he relied so much on his physical advantages in junior.

These concerns along with his health concerns scare me enough to avoid him at 5 OA. Among the forwards I already had Demidov, Iginla and Helenius ahead of him before the herniated disc was reported and now I have vaulted Catton and Sennecke past him.....probably Luchanko as well. To be honest I am not totally sure where his free fall would end for me other than the fact that I would take him at 26 lol, but he obviously will not be there.

There is a chance that teams get very strong medical opinions that support a full recovery without increased risk of re-injury in which case he is a top ten pick imo but that will not be available to any of us so I will have to ride my opinion on the matter all the way to the moment of selection.

I have an extremely difficult time envisioning HuGo selecting him with the 5th pick without definitive evidence that his back issues are no more likely to re-occur than any other prospect.

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Or maybe we actually trade down.

Ultimate anti-chad move

I have legitimate concerns about his actual talent level. He is big, strong and fast but I haven't witnessed much evidence of high end puck skill or translatable IQ/vision. Health concerns aside I think he is a high risk to plateau as a middle of the lineup complimenary winger like Josh Anderson although maybe a little smarter lol.

The kid could also be a total stud but he will need to show that he has more in his toolbox than out skating and overpowering other junior kids. Perhaps he doesn't need to show other skillsets and is just choosing to keep the game simple. It will be tough to get a good read on him until he turns pro. His size/speed make him something of a Byfield-lite at the same age and despite Byfield clearly being the better prospect it has taken him longer than expected to become an effective NHLer as he relied so much on his physical advantages in junior.

These concerns along with his health concerns scare me enough to avoid him at 5 OA. Among the forwards I already had Demidov, Iginla and Helenius ahead of him before the herniated disc was reported and now I have vaulted Catton and Sennecke past him.....probably Luchanko as well. To be honest I am not totally sure where his free fall would end for me other than the fact that I would take him at 26 lol, but he obviously will not be there.

There is a chance that teams get very strong medical opinions that support a full recovery without increased risk of re-injury in which case he is a top ten pick imo but that will not be available to any of us so I will have to ride my opinion on the matter all the way to the moment of selection.

I have an extremely difficult time envisioning HuGo selecting him with the 5th pick without definitive evidence that his back issues are no more likely to re-occur than any other prospect.

You make valid points and i agree with many of them.

Tho, to make things pretty simple, a canadian 6ft3 physical centerman who paced for 50+ goals in his draft year is usually a top 3 pick any given year, with every concern you named.(except health concern).

I doubt he would be there at 5 if it wasnt from his health. Now is it the ultimate gift or the poison pill?

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Btw, drafting Helenius is like eating broccoli. I know it’s good for me but I’m not excited about it.
There is no vegetable I would draft in the top 5 tbh. Maybe carrot on a good day.
I love broccoli enough that I would for sure take it #1...but not Helenius. He is more like kale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad