Votes: 12 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 62 15.9%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.1%

• Total voters

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Reinbacher would have gone ahead of Parekh, because teams are reluctant to draft smaller primarily offensive dmen no matter how good they are. But he'd go behind the others, IMO.

Reactions: Saxon and montreal

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This is true. However, there are many things we know that would strongly point to Iginla being the preferred pick of many people inside the Habs organization.

- Hugues said it's unlikely to be a LD, and we picked a RD last year. With Reinbacher, Mailloux, Barron in the fold, are we really picking Parekh or Yakemchuk? I doubt it.

- Among the forwards, I think only three are being discussed. Habs are looking for some size/physicality/strength, and you are not finding this with Catton. Sennecke is interesting, but he's a beanpole and aside from the echo chamber of the Habs board (and Grant McCagg), nobody really thinks he is in contention for 5th overall. If the Habs would have slipped to 7th at the lottery, then maybe Sennecke may have been an option if all three of Demidov, Iginla and Lindstrom would have been taken. However, we are drafting 5th, and one if not all three of Demidov, Iginla or Lindstrom will be available at our pick.

- Habs met multiple times with Iginla during this season. Iginla played in the Boston area where Hughes coached, so he knows him well. St-Louis and Lecavalier battled with Iginla's father for years, including in a Stanley Cup final. They know the value of the Iginla family traits (strength/being relentless/competitiveness/amazing shot/high IQ). Iginla scored 47 goals with an average supporting cast, and was the best player on his team (by far) during the postseason, while being 17 years-old. Then, he went to WJC and was a difference maker in the the last two games of the tournament, taking away the goal medal from a stronger American team.

- Lindstrom played 30ish games last year. It's not event clear if he will be able to take part in the combine due his injuries. Are we really going to take a chance on a player without having seem him compete in meaningful games? I doubt the Habs will take this chance with players like Iginla and Demidov potentially available. NHL managers do not like taking risks with decisions that could cost them their jobs.

- Demidov is an exciting, highly-skilled player. What are the chances that he is going to be there at 5? If he is there, can he play the grinding game required to succeed in the NHL, especially in the playoff? Who do you want in game seven of the Stanley Cup final, Laine or M. Tkachuk?

To me, it's fairly obvious why many people inside the Habs organization think Iginla is the pick. We are only ~30 days before the draft. I think the team has a very good idea at this point who the pick is likely going to be.
If everybody we like is gone at 5. Ignila or we trade the pick. Will get a ton.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not sure how such things get out but I remember Brian Wilde last year in March 2023 on TSN690 telling us then that he had "inside" info about who the Habs really liked for last years draft and that Hab fans would really not like the pick.

He didn't give a name at the time but a couple of days later admitted the player he was talking about was Reinbacher and it turns out he was right since the Habs did draft him and he wasn't kidding when he said a lot of Hab fans wouldn't like the pick and we know that was also true.

The year before his sources told him it was Wright. So take it all with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Not sure how such things get out but I remember Brian Wilde last year in March 2023 on TSN690 telling us then that he had "inside" info about who the Habs really liked for last years draft and that Hab fans would really not like the pick.

He didn't give a name at the time but a couple of days later admitted the player he was talking about was Reinbacher and it turns out he was right since the Habs did draft him and he wasn't kidding when he said a lot of Hab fans wouldn't like the pick and we know that was also true.
In March, Habs were months away from their scout meeting where they make their final draft rankings right before the draft. In other words, Wilde took a guess based on ice rinks scouting rumors, what players agent are saying* and the team needs. Just like he predicted Wright the year before.

This year for the Habs, we have multiple names being brandished depending what happens at 2-4. Hughes said himself they won't take a LHD and will try to trade down if a definitive BPA LHD falls at #5. They aren't hiding they want a forward and size either. So it's pretty easy to guess the options...

*example: Columbus being high on Silayev comes from Silayev/his agent.

Reactions: Leto

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Who is everyone's target for the Winnipeg pick?

Connelly for me.
MBN was my dream, but he'll be gone by that point. Luchanko I'd be very happy with, I see a very pro projectable player there. Maybe not all that sexy, but he does it all and he's a true natural center in every aspect. Hage, Boivert and Bacha are all great possibilities too. Masse might have an outside chance, I really think he's better than what he's been showing this season.

Last edited:

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
What's the deal with Surin?
I haven't really watched him but those that do swear by his feistiness, competitiveness and physicality while thinking that he might peak as a middle of the lineup winger

I love everything about that and for a late first, I'm all over him

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
One way that could spell a nugget of truth is if the Habs had Iginla ahead of Demidov and Lindstrom in their preliminary rankings (pending further intel) coupled with a firm belief that none of the 2-4 teams would consider him.

Fun to speculate but makes you wonder how stuff like that might even get out if true with the way Hughes keeps things close to the vest. Remember how surprised most were when the Habs chose Slaf — this pick is likely going to be as uncertain to predict.
completely agree. But as people have mentioned, it's early and minds' change. I always get a kick out of my friend's random texts to me.
I think you're right when you post that Tij might just be ahead of those guys...
based on the number of interviews they had with him, Demidov being Russian, Liindstrom injury history etc (relax, everyone I'm just speculating)

HuGo had such a giant smokescreen going with the Slafkovsky and Reinbacher picks, so who knows?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Iginla would be a fine pick, no issues there IMO. Probably an easy sell to the media/fanbase too, I definitely don't see a repeat of the Reinbacher meltdown if they go with him .

Reactions: Gustave

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
In March, Habs were months away from their scout meeting where they make their final draft rankings right before the draft. In other words, Wilde took a guess based on ice rinks scouting rumors, what players agent are saying* and the team needs. Just like he predicted Wright the year before.

This year for the Habs, we have multiple names being brandished depending what happens at 2-4. Hughes said himself they won't take a LHD and will try to trade down if a definitive BPA LHD falls at #5. They aren't hiding they want a forward and size either. So it's pretty easy to guess the options...

*example: Columbus being high on Silayev comes from Silayev/his agent.

I expect this is how some folks predict who a team is interested in (ie McCagg, Pronman etc). And NHL teams use the same logic when trying to predict where someone will get drafted. The list gets more and more narrow as the season goes on and you look at where scouts are traveling, what rink invite lits they are on, who's families they are meeting with etc. I'm sure its not too hard to figure out if your in the scouting community

Reactions: morhilane

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Iginla would be a fine pick, no issues there IMO. Probably an easy sell to the media/fanbase too, I definitely don't see a repeat of the Reinbacher meltdown if they go with him .
I think going with a forward, any forward, will prevent that.

Lindstrom Iggy Sennecke Catton, all will be welcomed with open arms.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
With the Culture mantra, I’d put those odds at about 0%.

I’d stay away personally, but whatever at 26 in his case. My pick is Poirier but now that he’s not at the Mem Cup, his lack of exposure will let him slide at the Colorado 2nd RD pick I reckon.
Who is everyone's target for the Winnipeg pick?

Connelly for me.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
With the Culture mantra, I’d put those odds at about 0%.

I’d stay away personally, but whatever at 26 in his case. My pick is Poirier but now that he’s not at the Mem Cup, his lack of exposure will let him slide at the Colorado 2nd RD pick I reckon.
He didn't even get an invite to the combine. There's a real possibility he might slide all the way to the third round, a la Dumais. Teams don't seem all that intrigued, even if he does get ranked pretty high on a few amateur lists. At the very least, he could be around for our second round pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad