Votes: 62 15.9%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.1%

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I go back and forth between Sennecke and Catton. Today, I would say edge to Sennecke. I think Catton is going to struggle against pros.

Sennecke is very close to Iggy in a lot of ways but I Iggy gets the edge for his complete game. Both have great shots.

I do like Sennecke's offensive instincts. Great hands in tight spaces for a big guy.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I have been tracking rankings for 10 years and Button's list is no better and no worse than the rest. Its his opinion. And one thing is certain - the concensus rankings always end up to be way off too. I actual like it when Button goes off the norm The other place that is never shy to be bold in their rankings is Hockey Prospect (Black Book). They haven't updated their public rankings since January but at that time they had Levshunov as 12 and Lindstrom at 2.

I like Button's ranking because he pretty often has a few players dead to rights. He really did not like Virtanen, loved Point for example.

Reactions: Saxon and Jabba11

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to Hughes and Gorton discussing with Lapointe, Bobrov and their teams regarding the pros and cons of each prospect they feel strongest about for 5th overall in this draft.

"Fire in the belly today"

IMG_2034.jpeg

"This kids a f***ing winner. He pisses excellence every morning".

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to Hughes and Gorton discussing with Lapointe, Bobrov and their teams regarding the pros and cons of each prospect they feel strongest about for 5th overall in this draft.

"Fire in the belly today"

View attachment 875156

"This kids a f***ing winner. He pisses excellence every morning".
I wish you luck. If all their discussions are like that, someone from the scouting team will vent their anger by squashing the fly on the wall.

• Haha
Reactions: NotProkofievian

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sam Dickinson is still more interesting prospect than Lindstrom, Sennecker and Iginla. Surefire top 1D in the league and will be a future captain. Having him and Reinbacher as 1a 1b D is immense for the rebuild. More than a top 6 winger/2C or a project like Sennecke that comes with high rewards but still high risks.
He’s not a RD, he’s on the left. We’ve got Guhle and Huston there already.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Sam Dickinson is still more interesting prospect than Lindstrom, Sennecker and Iginla. Surefire top 1D in the league and will be a future captain. Having him and Reinbacher as 1a 1b D is immense for the rebuild. More than a top 6 winger/2C or a project like Sennecke that comes with high rewards but still high risks.
+ : Great skater, great shooter, good puckmover, long, well rounded skillset, great stick on puck defending.

- : Not physical, occasional defensive lapses, inconsistent decision making with the puck under pressure, not a good enough playmaker to be a PP1 QB.

He's more Jeff Petry, not what I would consider to be a 1D.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
+ : Great skater, great shooter, good puckmover, long, well rounded skillset, great stick on puck defending.

- : Not physical, occasional defensive lapses, inconsistent decision making with the puck under pressure, not a good enough playmaker to be a PP1 QB.

He's more Jeff Petry, not what I would consider to be a 1D.
I definitely don’t see those as much as you’d described. Of all the top defensemen of the draft, I think he’s the one with the fewest turnovers, even over Leshunov. Physical, I think if you look at his shift by shift, he is definitely physical when time is right to separate player from puck. And he is definitely a good QB on the PP, great slapper, plays the game simple and isn’t afraid of driving to net. Yes, not the best stick handler but we have Hudson for that, and he has a great 1st pass à la Markov, something we’ve been lacking for so long.

And look that the pros you mentioned, those are enough to make him our best LD.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
As far as I’m aware, Tij’s mom is a total bust as an NHL hockey player. Never produced in the playoffs, slight frame, weak on the puck. I expect a mom that’s a farm girl with wide shoulders, strong legs, a mean streak, 1ppg in the playoffs, and can trace her lineage to Charlemagne - I’m not interested in measuring “bloodlines” otherwise.

I hope that's satire.

And I would hope that after the whole Galchenyuk fiasco one would understand that a strong father presence is ESSENTIAL for a high pick playing in this market.

By all accounts, Tij having Jarome as his father IS a factor that needs to be carefully evaluated, and seen as an advantage over other prospects.

You'd also think that 6 years after saying bloodlines are BS when discussing whether or not we should draft Brady Tkachuk, one would stop saying it has no impact whatsoever. It does.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Couple seasons after that Gryba made us realized he didn't have much hands. :nod:

I still blame Rafael Diaz for this. Poor softie was probably hearing footsteps 25 feet away and crapped his pants throwing the puck like a freaking grenade.

That whole sequence should be put on an online encyclopedia on the "Suicide Pass" page.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I definitely don’t see those as much as you’d described. Of all the top defensemen of the draft, I think he’s the one with the fewest turnovers, even over Leshunov. Physical, I think if you look at his shift by shift, he is definitely physical when time is right to separate player from puck. And he is definitely a good QB on the PP, great slapper, plays the game simple and isn’t afraid of driving to net. Yes, not the best stick handler but we have Hudson for that, and he has a great 1st pass à la Markov, something we’ve been lacking for so long.

And look that the pros you mentioned, those are enough to make him our best LD.

Levshunov's a RD, has more offensive talent and is more punishing physically and in front of his own net, if way more inconsistent and raw than Dickinson. They're of different molds, but I'll likely have them back-to-back in my ranking.

If we had to compare Dickinson to a player who I'd consider to be more of the pinnacle of his own style, and a true 1D, it'd be Ryan Suter. I don't think Dickinson's defensive instincts and potential are quite as high. I don't see him as a primary shutdown defender, though he could be a part of a shutdown duo as you pointed out with Reinbacher. But true #1s can carry lesser partners (Komisarek, Gorges, Chiarot) on a top pair and I don't see that in Dickinson's future.

As far as Markov is concerned, he was a savant, and a purely cerebral player. Dickinson's relies much more on his physical tools, and does not have anywhere near the same vision or IQ.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If Demidov or Lindstrom isn't there, I'm pretty confortable with Sennecke at 5. I really like Iginla since the beginning, but Sennecke is also a very very good offensive player, 1st line potential like Iginla with more tools, I think.

Sennecke reminds me of Boldy type of guy and if he can become that type of player, it's a really really good choice at 5.

At this moment my wishlist is:

1 - Demidov.
2 - Lindstrom.
3 - Iginla//Sennecke (pretty equal).
4 - Leshunov. (If he is there, that's a no brainer to me even ahead of Iginla or Sennecke, no doubt).

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Reactions: habsfan891

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

« Je le vois entre les 9e et 12e rangs. Quelques joueurs ont plusieurs forces, mais tu te poses des questions sur leur éthique de travail. Dans son cas, tu élimines tout de suite cette crainte. C'est la question de certains clubs avec (Beckett) Sennecke. Parfois, tu ne le vois pas pendant un match au complet. Avec Iginla, ça n'arrivera pas », a comparé ce recruteur.

There are so many freaking red flags around Sennecke, and I'm growingly sure it's going to be him that's our pick.

I'm rooting for Iginla, but I won't be disappointed for a second if we draft Lindstrom. The guy is a special package.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Levshunov's a RD, has more offensive talent and is more punishing physically and in front of his own net, if way more inconsistent and raw than Dickinson. They're of different molds, but I'll likely have them back-to-back in my ranking.

If we had to compare Dickinson to a player who I'd consider to be more of the pinnacle of his own style, and a true 1D, it'd be Ryan Suter. I don't think Dickinson's defensive instincts and potential are quite as high. I don't see him as a primary shutdown defender, though he could be a part of a shutdown duo as you pointed out with Reinbacher. But true #1s can carry lesser partners (Komisarek, Gorges, Chiarot) on a top pair and I don't see that in Dickinson's future.

As far as Markov is concerned, he was a savant, and a purely cerebral player. Dickinson's relies much more on his physical tools, and does not have anywhere near the same vision or IQ.
By all accounts Levshunov won’t be available to us. If he was… I think we’d take him.

Then we trade up to get Eiserman later. :)

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
All this to say, if we don't get Demidov, we are getting Lindstrom.
Perhaps. But it may well be that Sennecke turns out to be the second best forward of this draft. Think Huberdeau with greater speed.

I can live with any of Lindstrom , Iginla or Sennecke at 5OA. I don’t think Demidov will be available. The hype with respect to this kid is too great, and the pressure associated with such hype on GMs will be too irresistible for them to overcome.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
In the back of my mind I feel like it's inevitable that Demidov and Lindstrom are gone by our pick, then the pack of forwards is wide open between Iginla/Catton/Eiserman/Helenius/Sennecke/etc...

I'm not overly attached to any of those guys and wouldn't mind trading back in that scenario.

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
In the back of my mind I feel like it's inevitable that Demidov and Lindstrom are gone by our pick, then the pack of forwards is wide open between Iginla/Catton/Eiserman/Helenius/Sennecke/etc...

I'm not overly attached to any of those guys and wouldn't mind trading back in that scenario.
There's a high chance Levshunov and Silayev get picked top 4.

I think one of these two will be available but even if they aren't, Iginla is a mighty fine pick.

Last edited:

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
If all top four forwards are gone...I take Levshunov.
It'd be hard to pass on him if he was somehow there at 5. I'm pretty sure the trade value of that pick would sky rocket if he dropped that far, so maybe a team would call with an impressive offer.

Reactions: rochab

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad