Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 53 17.7%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.7%

• Total voters

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
So Hughes thinks Reinbacher will be a #2. So who will be our #1D? Guhle?

Does Guhle have the potential to be a #1D on a championship team?

Because if not, this draft sounds like the perfect draft to get that #1D... just saying...

Look at the Leafs, or even better the Oilers. You can have the best player of this era (McDavid) and another generational forward (Draisatl) but if you don't have that #1D you're not sniffing the cup. :dunno:
I fervently believe our biggest need is a #1 defenseman before a top 6 forward so I'm with you on this one. Not sold on any of our young defenseman to be leading the d core into a championship.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

Because if not, this draft sounds like the perfect draft to get that #1D... just saying...

Look at the Leafs, or even better the Oilers. You can have the best player of this era (McDavid) and another generational forward (Draisatl) but if you don't have that #1D you're not sniffing the cup. :dunno:
Im not sure why people are against drafting: Levshunov/Dickinson/Buium/Parekh/Silayev all of which would be a massive upgrade to our already "near top" D prospect pool. Just smart roster building...

Reactions: Habs7631

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
When you're picking in the top 10, you always factor in the team. These guys are a year or two away from being in your lineup.

If they're special talents you do it. Which is why you'd take Bedard if you were already small up front. Or take Celebrini when all you've done is draft forwards for a decade (Sharks)

You're not gonna pick a LD that's subjectively a bit better than a forward that you need.
What about the BPA Jesuits? If your LD is infinitesimally better than your forward options by 0.1%..."in the top ten, you must go BPA"? Even with 10+ NHL level LDs on the roster.

Hopefully, HuGo agree with your take and adopt a constrained optimization approach. Your last sentence summarizes it nicely, from my standpoint.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
I fervently believe our biggest need is a #1 defenseman before a top 6 forward so I'm with you on this one. Not sold on any of our young defenseman to be leading the d core into a championship.

Im not sure why people are against drafting: Levshunov/Dickinson/Buium/Parekh/Silayev all of which would be a massive upgrade to our already "near top" D prospect pool.

Someone earlier on this thread said we don't have 3 Nicklas Lidstrom and I got a good chuckle.

Seriously, I don't know what Guhle/Hutson/Xhekaj have done for us to not even consider Buium/Dickinson if Demidov and Lindstrom are gone at 5.

Reactions: themilosh

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Im not sure why people are against drafting: Levshunov/Dickinson/Buium/Parekh/Silayev all of which would be a massive upgrade to our already "near top" D prospect pool. Just smart roster building...
Maybe because the only “people” that matter are HuGo and Hughes said they’d draft a Fwd

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Just realising now that there is a near 100 point defenseman in Zayne Parekh that will be available interesting. Smallish blue liner for sure but his insane offensive production has to amount for something...

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
LOL are they bluffing the universe with Buium?
He got the best floor after Celebrini in this draft.
Lock future 1st. liner D.

But haven't you heard LD is a positional strength ?

And by positional strength I mean Guhle might be injury prone, Hutson is yet to be seen what he can do at the NHL level and Xhekaj is most likely a 3rd pairing guy on a good playoff team. And Engstrom...

Gotta go with a forward.

Reactions: Nevins

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013

Our number one is going to be Hutson.

• Wow
Reactions: Miller Time

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For a Club like Calgary, drafting Iginla would be huge.... The feelgood vibes would do wonders for the fan base, almost erasing the pain over the past 2 years.
I firmly believe CGY could well be the Habs’ best trading partner — Habs can rake them over coals as the quest for Iginla could get desperate.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
But haven't you heard LD is a positional strength ?

And by positional strength I mean Guhle might be injury prone, Hutson is yet to be seen what he can do at the NHL level and Xhekaj is most likely a 3rd pairing guy on a good playoff team. And Engstrom...

Gotta go with a forward.
So that's 4. Plus Matheson. Plus Struble. Plus Harris.

I don't see the issue at LD , we'd have to be the unluckiest team in the league to have trouble at that position in the upcoming years.

Just realising now that there is a near 100 point defenseman in Zayne Parekh that will be available interesting. Smallish blue liner for sure but his insane offensive production has to amount for something...
With Hutson already in the pipeline? Just no, bad fit.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Didn't see him play a lot: does he have the defensive game to log #1 minutes? and when was the last time a small defenseman led a team to a championship?
He's still a work in progress but he wants to be that guy and he's always been up to the challenge so far. He's always going to be small but he can also use it to his advantage.

If he's surrounded by other big defensemen his size shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: with that said I wouldn't mind if we draft another defenseman if it's the BPA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad