Votes: 10 3.4%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 55 18.6%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.8%

• Total voters

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Lol 16 year old Iginla’s season being the real deal.

Sennecke has much more chance to be a flash in the pants, a hot streak,etc because he has not prooved it for a long time. It all could be a simple fact of getting hot in the playoffs. That’s a big risk to take when you fell in love with a late riser ala KK in U18.

Iginla was good from day 1 and kept getting better during ALL year + playoffs. That ain’t a late riser but a steady riser all year long.
Sennecke was ranked near Iginla on Bob's list mid-season. NHL scouts clearly evaluated both of these players and their projection as similar. And both continued on their great trajectory, no reasons for one to stay behind just because you don't like the look of his stat sheet.

They are different players anyway, I personally would go with Sennecke. But I'm edgeworks biased. :laugh:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Or it’s just a hot streak?

Iginla’s complete season + playoffs ain’t just a hot streak.
It's not just a hot streak. He has been on fire since January and he propelled his team up the standings and since then has been arguably the best player in OHL playoffs even though he's in his draft year. He's also figuring out how to play in a body that grew 5 inches in two years. He has so much room to keep on improving.

This is what development is all about. This is what NHL scouts/GMs want to see. They're not picking in a fantasy pool and going with proven commodities. They're basically trying to forecast which 17-18 year old will be the best player in 4-5 years. Upward trajectory and room for more development are big pluses.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Exactly and the draft combine + complete interviews haven't even happened yet. Still too early to predict anything.
Plus, Beaudoin has no clue what he's saying most of the time.
Exactly. Martineau said that they met Catton already. No one know eho they will pick..no one..

Reactions: Ozmodiar

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Sennecke production:

Last 45 games: 64 points. 1.42 PPG (97 point pace)

Last 25 games: 42 points. 1.68 PPG (114 point pace)

Yeah, that’s exactly the type of offensive progression I want to see from a draft eligible.

For comparison sake, Shane Wright had 26 points in his last 20 games (1.3 PPG) while being surrounded by far better players and people were clamouring to take him 1st overall.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I was doing the Tankathon, and kept getting the 2nd Overall pick, which gave me pause. I really don’t care about getting it. After 1st, it kind of doesn’t matter where we pick, barring going 7th which would suck.

I feel like the lists will be so different this year (if you compare to last year where 1 to 4 were above and beyond the rest) that we will probably get our guy at 5 or 6. Am I reading this wrong? Have at it.
2ND overall guarantees Demidov, are you kidding? It's an absolute must the Habs puck in the top 2 if they can

Iginla is as much of a riser and you want the habs to take him.
He's only a riser because he played 4th line on a juggernaut at 16.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Iginla is as much of a riser and you want the habs to take him.

Again, Iginla produced on a high level since DAY 1 of the season and kept getting better. That’s not the definition of late riser. He climbed the standing steadily during the year.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I'm not taking anyone to their word, two years ago by now most of the people close to the team had us taking Wright
If you read Basu’s articles about the draft it’s easy to read between the lines. Like when he was saying he wouldn’t be surprised if Slaf was the pick. It meant he knew they were preferring him.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Again, Iginla produced on a high level since DAY 1 of the season and kept getting better. That’s not the definition of late riser. He climbed the standing steadily during the year.

Sennecke was a honorable mention in Bob's pre season rankings and Iginla wasn't.

Then they were 3 spots apart on his mid season rankings.

They're both late risers, you just have an issue that one took longer to start producing. But only one of them had a massive growth spurt that explains why it took time.

Sennecke profile is like Dach and Slafkovsky. Not Kotkaniemi.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
We still don’t know where Mckenzie will have him.

Sennecke also got better during the year and be much higher on Mckenzie’s list.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I mean it’s like Slafkovsky, what’s his elite quality? It’s simply being as good as he is in all aspects of the game while being the size he is. Sennecke is the same, there’s really no negative with him other than defensively.
In essence, the projection is puck protection and shot will be elite. Remains to be seen if that's the same projection for Bennett.

Mind you, I don't hate Senecke at all. Never appeared in my top 10 I made here but was always in my top 15. And I will have a final list of a top 32 before the draft....But I don't see how he can be in my top 10.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
But he didn’t really get better.

Iginla

First 40 games - 55 points (1.38 PPG)
Last 35 games - 44 points (1.26 PPG)

Sennecke

First 40 games - 39 points (0.98 PPG)
Last 37 games - 51 points (1.38 PPG)

It’s very obvious who got better throughout the year.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I absolutely hate when people want to draft junior player solely based on their size as it skews their real impact when they start playing against full grown professional men as they struggle to keep up with them. You want to draft the player based on their hockey ability but in the case of Sennecke at least it makes sense as he still has so much room to grow in term of strength and power (he is still weak) which bode very well for his projection as you would expect him to eventually get stronger and more dominant physically.

I prefer Sennecke hockey IQ and his hands over Lindstrom. Physically, they are not comparable though, Lindstrom hits like a truck and he is very direct. In term of scoring I would also prefer Lindstrom because his release is very quick and that will translate well to the pro.
In term of upside, if Sennecke develop well physically and he is receptive to learn than his upside is very significant. Sennecke if anything has been sleeped on, not what I would call a flavor of the month. That being said, he might not become a superstar player either, my projection for Sennecke would be a similar player to Mark Stone and Lindstrom to Brady Tkachuk. Both valuable but in different ways.

Reactions: KFlint

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
2ND overall guarantees Demidov, are you kidding? It's an absolute must the Habs puck in the top 2 if they can
Call me crazy but I think he’s there at 5. The knee thing will knock him down a peg.

Have you seen his skating stance?? He’s got the Bure knees. He’s shredding them with every lateral movement. I’d draft him don’t get me wrong but he’s got an obvious issue there. It’s his greatest force yet very hard on the body to skate that way.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I absolutely hate when people want to draft junior player solely based on their size as it skews their real impact when they start playing against full grown professional men as they struggle to keep up with them. You want to draft the player based on their hockey ability but in the case of Sennecke at least it makes sense as he still has so much room to grow in term of strength and power (he is still weak) which bode very well for his projection as you would expect him to eventually get stronger and more dominant physically.

I prefer Sennecke hockey IQ and his hands over Lindstrom. Physically, they are not comparable though, Lindstrom hits like a truck and he is very direct. In term of scoring I would also prefer Lindstrom because his release is very quick and that will translate well to the pro.
In term of upside, if Sennecke develop well physically and he is receptive to learn than his upside is very significant. Sennecke if anything has been sleeped on, not what I would call a flavor of the month. That being said, he might not become a superstar player either, my projection for Sennecke would be a similar player to Mark Stone and Lindstrom to Brady Tkachuk. Both valuable but in different ways.
If Lindstrom is gone at 5/6th, would you pick Sennecke over Catton/Iginla?

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Hypothesis question here.
If you could choose either have only one of those players: Demidov, Catton, Lindstrom or Iginla
OR
Have 2 of those players: Connelly, Helenius, Eiserman or Sennecke.

What option would you choose ?

For example: Demidov vs Helenius + Eiserman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad