Votes: 10 3.4%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 55 18.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.8%

• Total voters

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Your methodology would have us believe that Gallagher has a better shot than both. Realistically Newhook has shown a much higher quality shot than Catton. With that said there's many things that go into goalscoring as a total skill and production is also another different metric altogether.

Catton has a good amount more goals than Iginla, yet no one would say Catton has a better shot or is a better goalscorer than Tij.

You're overselling Newhook by a significant amount here. There are plenty of players with elite speed + shot that have terrorized Junior level opponents. Even complete boneheaded ones like Emerson Etem or Jake Virtanen. if Newhook's shot was as good as you claim the results would speak for themselves.

And while that methodology is far from flawless, no one scores 54 goals by accident. If you want to claim it's due to "scoring ability" rather than "shot", fine. But there is more to shooting than pure velocity.

I think intensity isn't something Sennecke lacks, if anything he's known to play with an edge and being competitive

It wasn't intended to be a negative. Just a comment on skill package.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The game I play is trying to figure out who will be the bust/disappointment in this next top 10. There are always a few of them.

Like I said, I didn't have much games watched with Lindstrom but I do wonder if he is the power center star or the bust/disappointment in this draft.
Question marks everywhere….

Is Levshunov a defensive liability?
Is Catton too frail for NHL playoffs?
Is Lindstrom a donkey disguised as a unicorn?
Will Demidov’s knee hold together?
Is Iginla the real deal after his showing at U18’s?

That my friend, is up to the Scouts to sort through and make a decision!!

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
The game I play is trying to figure out who will be the bust/disappointment in this next top 10. There are always a few of them.

Like I said, I didn't have much games watched with Lindstrom but I do wonder if he is the power center star or the bust/disappointment in this draft.
Usually a defenseman without top end skill or a forward with below average playmaking/IQ and no fallback game.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
He's inconsistent with it. He's alot like Musty was last year, though maybe not as much swings.

He's growing into more consistency from day 1 of the season. He's not learning the same thing that Musty (STILL) needs to learn, ie. the Kovalev problem: somedays he just doesn't want to play.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
He's growing into more consistency from day 1 of the season. He's not learning the same thing that Musty (STILL) needs to learn, ie. the Kovalev problem: somedays he just doesn't want to play.

Wonder how Oshawa fans would compare him to Dal Colle.

That example is always my fear with players who rely so much on 1-on-1 handles and have a longer release on their shot.

Reactions: badfish

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes I agree for sure. It's still a point of somewhat concern though.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yes I agree for sure. It's still a point of somewhat concern though.

I don't think it is if he's growing into it. Jeff Carter (my comparable for Sennecke) had some of the same roads when his body grew. Sennecke gained a lot of length over the past two years, and that can play a lot on your energy level and coordination, making you look sluggish.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
There is a definite sense the Canadiens feel comfortable with whatever draft position they wind up with after the May 7 lottery. With the high demand for impact defencemen around the league and the number of potentially high-impact defencemen at the top of this draft, the Canadiens have long felt they will be well-positioned to add a forward they like.

And make no mistake, the Canadiens will be drafting a forward with their first-round pick. Yes, Hughes said at the end-of-season media conference that if the far and away best player available is a defenceman, they would draft him. But he also framed that scenario as being “forced” to take a defenceman. In other words, it would be a bit of a worst-case scenario and could even lead to Montreal looking to trade down if the draft were to play out that way.

But the Canadiens like a few of the forwards who could fall to them at No. 5 or No. 6 if the lottery is not kind to them. What remains unknown is the extent to which they would be willing to be aggressive to grab Russian phenom Ivan Demidov, who might not make it to their draft slot unless the Canadiens move up to No. 2 in the lottery.

Though the Canadiens were not high on Matvei Michkov last year, there is a sense that their opinion of Demidov is quite different.... .....In fact, a team source said, the Canadiens were able to get some live viewings of Demidov in Russia this season, which they were not able to do with Michkov.

The Canadiens might even be tempted to spend the assets it would cost to move up in the draft to grab Demidov, but there are other forwards they like who would have a better chance of being available at No. 5 or No. 6. If we had to guess, Cayden Lindstrom and Tij Iginla would be among that group......

Whether they move up, stand pat or move down, the Canadiens appear confident they will be able to add a core forward with a skill set they feel they lack in this draft.

- Arpon Basu, The Athletic.
To trade up to 2 is going to be expensive

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
We’re picking in a nice spot. I’m more excited than recent years because I see a lot more variety in the options we’ll have

I'm sold on too many guys :slaugh:

Yes even some LD's

1000000685.png

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Few Predictions for the Draft based on what people have been talking about on here:

Bobrov probably likes Helenius; he's a Bobrov guy. Plays the game the "right way", you'd be reaching for a slightly obscure European, Johnny all-around without anything elite, etc. Wouldn't be shocked at all if we took him, because he's the player I want least in that spot. :laugh:

I think Catton is going to pull a Benson from last year and fall down the draft a little bit. NHL scouts seem wary of his player profile.

Sennecke is going to go way higher than predicted. Wilde retweeted McCagg that Habs were interested in him, and possibly even at 5. Now, McCagg is an idiot, but I think he has Scout contacts, so I wouldn't be shocked about this, and Wilde predicted Reinbacher last year. McCagg just did a podcast where he said it wouldn't shock him if Sennecke went top 3 this year. Again, generally an idiot, but he talks to scouts, so........

I think the top 4 in the draft will probably be some combination of:
Cel.
Dem.
Lev.
Lind.

We'll likely grab someone outside of that. Best option is probably Parekh, but then what do you do for forwards?

I find Iggy hard to predict. Is he a first liner? I think it'll be a cold day in Hell before we draft Catton or Eiserman.

In the unlikely event of Sennecke at 5, how would you guys take that? Seems like Iginla is the other reasonable option that they'd actually like if they don't reach that far.

Reactions: Kent Nilsson

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Few Predictions for the Draft based on what people have been talking about on here:

Bobrov probably likes Helenius; he's a Bobrov guy. Plays the game the "right way", you'd be reaching for a slightly obscure European, Johnny all-around without anything elite, etc. Wouldn't be shocked at all if we took him, because he's the player I want least in that spot. :laugh:

I think Catton is going to pull a Benson from last year and fall down the draft a little bit. NHL scouts seem wary of his player profile.

Sennecke is going to go way higher than predicted. Wilde retweeted McCagg that Habs were interested in him, and possibly even at 5. Now, McCagg is an idiot, but I think he has Scout contacts, so I wouldn't be shocked about this, and Wilde predicted Reinbacher last year. McCagg just did a podcast where he said it wouldn't shock him if Sennecke went top 3 this year. Again, generally an idiot, but he talks to scouts, so........

I think the top 4 in the draft will probably be some combination of:
Cel.
Dem.
Lev.
Lind.

We'll likely grab someone outside of that. Best option is probably Parekh, but then what do you do for forwards?

I find Iggy hard to predict. Is he a first liner? I think it'll be a cold day in Hell before we draft Catton or Eiserman.

In the unlikely event of Sennecke at 5, how would you guys take that? Seems like Iginla is the other reasonable option that they'd actually like if they don't reach that far.
If Catton is still there at 12+ like Benson Hughes better be on the phone immediately

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
So Arpon is just repeating what some of us have said since January lol. Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla. He is just missing the late riser in Sennecke. This was always very predictable.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
The famous Berkly Catton interview.

This guy is a student of hockey little details and put efforts to improve is game...wow!!

Catton has been my #3 behind Celebrini and Demidov for most of the year, and this just makes me even more committed to that.

I think this kid is the choice at 5 / 6 if he's still there. I like Lindstrom and Iginla too, and will be plenty happy with either of them... but I want Catton just that much more lol

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Question marks everywhere….

Is Levshunov a defensive liability?
Is Catton too frail for NHL playoffs?
Is Lindstrom a donkey disguised as a unicorn?
Will Demidov’s knee hold together?
Is Iginla the real deal after his showing at U18’s?

That my friend, is up to the Scouts to sort through and make a decision!!
Lets play for fun, IMHO:
  • Levshunov is a decent all-around defensive back, what he lacks is initiative and reaction speed.
  • Catton is not too frail for the NHL playoffs until lhe makes it there to show he can't handle it.
  • Lindstrom's lack of activity in the second half of the season makes him a higher risk, not less talented or a unicorn.
  • Demidov's lack of competitive play against tough oppositions and his country being at war with NATO makes him a bigger risk, not more injury prone.
  • He's the real deal: One tournament does not define a player.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If we ever got Lindstrom and Sennecke in the same draft without trading any of Suzuki, Dach, Slaf, Caufield, Reinbacher or Guhle, I'd be ok if Youppi made the rest of our picks.
Without the Lindstrom and Sennecke picks, wasn't that the only page in Bergvin's playbook every draft year?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Catton has just confirmed to Anthony Martineau and Marco D'amico that he is now at 5.11 175!!

Btw Damico said that Suzuki was at 5.11 175 the day of his draft and 190 at 20 years old...now he is at 212.

Catton will be at 185 to 195 I guess at his prime !!! ..with his IQ....Catton is a no brainer at all
LOL! That highlighted part reads like a putdown of Catton's intelligence. But I know what you meant, just found it funny.

• Haha
Reactions: jaffy27 and vokiel

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
It is obviously between one of Demidov, Lindstrom or Iginla.

Written black on white.

These three have a clear edge over the others but not necessarily in terms of skills, but in terms of fit. (Players profile, what managements value, etc.)

If none of them is there at 5, then Levshunov is. So not really a big problem if you ask me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $3,470.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated: