Votes: 17 5.7%

• Total voters

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I really don't think they take Newhook Catton.
I like him but they will take Demidov/Lindstrom/Iggy/Sennecke imo

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Iginla is about an inch taller than Catton and would be at most 3-5 pounds heavier than him at this point.

I wouldn't write off Catton.
If Basu or Lavoie don’t start talking about him about being in the convo soon you can pretty much write him off. Those two sources.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Basu or Lavoie don’t start talking about him about being in the convo soon you can pretty much write him off. Those two sources.

It's always about the combine, that's when things start to really solidify. We didn't have Leonard in the conversation for our pick until the combine rolled around.

Reactions: skidcells

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Iginla doesn't look small next to Martone, I think we can stop the narrative that he's the same size as Catton.
I really don't think they take Newhook Catton.
I like him but they will take Demidov/Lindstrom/Iggy/Sennecke imo
Catton is a much smarter player than Newhook so I'm not sure the comparison makes any sense. Catton is a pretty clear comparable to Cooley.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Basu mentions 3 names in his most recent article: trading up for Demidov, or staying put and picking one of Lindstrom or Iginla.

If Lindstrom's injury is not serious then I think he gets picked top 5. He might not be available, especially if we drop to 7.

I'm super fine with Iginla, as of now he's still my preferred pick, but Catton, Sennecke, Helenius and maybe Eiserman are also valid options.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
And shooting

Theres no way Catton has a better shot than Newhook.
Newhook couldn't score 50 in the BCHL let alone the WHL. Highs of 19 in the NCAA and 15 in the NHL (on pace for 22).

His shot's fine but not a weapon.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Newhook couldn't score 50 in the BCHL let alone the WHL. Highs of 19 in the NCAA and 15 in the NHL (on pace for 22).

His shot's fine but not a weapon.
Your methodology would have us believe that Gallagher has a better shot than both. Realistically Newhook has shown a much higher quality shot than Catton. With that said there's many things that go into goalscoring as a total skill and production is also another different metric altogether.

Catton has a good amount more goals than Iginla, yet no one would say Catton has a better shot or is a better goalscorer than Tij.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There is a definite sense the Canadiens feel comfortable with whatever draft position they wind up with after the May 7 lottery. With the high demand for impact defencemen around the league and the number of potentially high-impact defencemen at the top of this draft, the Canadiens have long felt they will be well-positioned to add a forward they like.

And make no mistake, the Canadiens will be drafting a forward with their first-round pick. Yes, Hughes said at the end-of-season media conference that if the far and away best player available is a defenceman, they would draft him. But he also framed that scenario as being “forced” to take a defenceman. In other words, it would be a bit of a worst-case scenario and could even lead to Montreal looking to trade down if the draft were to play out that way.

But the Canadiens like a few of the forwards who could fall to them at No. 5 or No. 6 if the lottery is not kind to them. What remains unknown is the extent to which they would be willing to be aggressive to grab Russian phenom Ivan Demidov, who might not make it to their draft slot unless the Canadiens move up to No. 2 in the lottery.

Though the Canadiens were not high on Matvei Michkov last year, there is a sense that their opinion of Demidov is quite different.... .....In fact, a team source said, the Canadiens were able to get some live viewings of Demidov in Russia this season, which they were not able to do with Michkov.

The Canadiens might even be tempted to spend the assets it would cost to move up in the draft to grab Demidov, but there are other forwards they like who would have a better chance of being available at No. 5 or No. 6. If we had to guess, Cayden Lindstrom and Tij Iginla would be among that group......

Whether they move up, stand pat or move down, the Canadiens appear confident they will be able to add a core forward with a skill set they feel they lack in this draft.

- Arpon Basu, The Athletic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad