HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Habs took the riser in Slafkovsky in 2022. Did the same with Reinbacher in 2023. It’s not out of this world they keep the same approach
It is funny how we can almost unanimously decide we want a guy at 5 who most everyone had ranked 15-20 a couple weeks ago

Reactions: Troyp

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
It is funny how we can almost unanimously decide we want a guy at 5 who most everyone had ranked 15-20 a couple weeks ago
Fans do not follow prospects closely and even if they did, have no idea how to project them in the pros and compare them throughout different leagues (OHL, NCAA, NTD program, Europe, etc).

Most opinions are based on websites or TSN experts (the latter having no idea how to scout either). These websites are sometimes several months late with respect to risers.

The only reliable list is Bobby Mac final one.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Fans do not follow prospects closely and even if they did, have no idea how to project them in the pros and compare them throughout different leagues (OHL, NCAA, NTD program, Europe, etc).

Most opinions are based on websites or TSN experts (the latter having no idea how to scout either). These websites are sometimes several months late with respect to risers.

But it also shows how little independent thinking there is, at least in the armchair community. At least Grant is able to put out original thoughts.

Everyone else just keeps their list the same as McKenzie with +/- 5 variance in the rankings

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Pronman has gotten close with his mock drafts as well. Not his personal list.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Last year, before the U18, no one would have believe Leonard was considered at 5

People just don't like names that come in late and challenge the view they've had of the draft for a long period of time.

I'm not even sure Sennecke goes top 10 let alone top 5 but he's making noise and we will see just how loud it gets.

Progression is always better than stagnation.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I think people (certainly fans, but scouts too) get way too invested in certain names that they have been following for a while, expecting them to be picked at certain spots.

When I look at the forward group as it currently stands with an open mind, I'm seeing a lot of different possibilities. After Celebrini and Demidov the field is way open.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think people (certainly fans, but scouts too) get way too invested in certain names that they have been following for a while, expecting them to be picked at certain spots.

When I look at the forward group as it currently stands with an open mind, I'm seeing a lot of different possibilities. After Celebrini and Demidov the field is way open.

I just try to get comfortable with all the options that could be there.

Watching Iginla Sennecke Eiserman Helenius over the last bit to see if I can.

Helenius didn't.
Eiserman provides a quality, I wouldn't love it but I'd understand it.
Sennecke might have the highest upside but the floor is murky.
Iginla high floor but giving me complementary scorer vibes rather than puck dominant play driver.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I'm intrigued by Sennecke but I hope we aren't overrating or overprotecting based on a strong playoffs the way JG did with Kravtsov. I'd definitely feel a lot more comfortable drafting any of Demidov, Catton, or Lindstrom and at least one of them should be there for us.

Wouldn't touch Eiserman short of the WPG pick, and barring a trade up to ~11/12 wouldn't go for Iginla or Helenius either.

Reactions: atrud66 and Deebs

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I'm intrigued by Sennecke but I hope we aren't overrating or overprotecting based on a strong playoffs the way JG did with Kravtsov. I'd definitely feel a lot more comfortable drafting any of Demidov, Catton, or Lindstrom and at least one of them should be there for us.

Wouldn't touch Eiserman short of the WPG pick, and barring a trade up to ~11/12 wouldn't go for Iginla or Helenius either.
Sennecke is a solid player, he's just not a guy that should be picked where we are picking.

Reactions: Rozz

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I saw a lot of potential in Sennecke. Would not upset at all if the Habs choose him.

Do you know if Sennecke used his body to hit/separate players from the puck?

He's very lanky still as the growth spurt is recent, so right now he uses his skating, hands and anticipation mostly but he does not shy away from contact and the hope would be as he gets used to his frame and bulks up he would use it more. Kinda like Dach

I like Iggy more than Sennecke

That's fine just that they belong in the same convo.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
He's very lanky still as the growth spurt is recent, so right now he uses his skating, hands and anticipation mostly but he does not shy away from contact and the hope would be as he gets used to his frame and bulks up he would use it more. Kinda like Dach

That's fine just that they belong in the same convo.
I agree they're in the same tier, I just don't agree that we should be looking at that tier barring a trade up from the WPG pick or down from our pick.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Do you know if Sennecke used his body to hit/separate players from the puck?
To add to what WTK said, he was a puck hound who played the body before his growth spurt. This season he had to deal with coordination, balance and strength issues after growing too much too fast and that part of his game became less effective. So he moved to other tools to deal with it. He needs to fill out his new body and he's not exactly aware he's 6'3 yet.

On some other note, Sennecke might have looked like bambi on ice earlier this season, but he was 4th at the Kubota CHL top prospects skating combine. He also used to be a dmen and play both wings.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Why not? If Iginla is in the convo than he also belongs.
Many have no clue just how skilled Sennecke is and how everything's been coming together for him since the new year. This isn't just a short term playoff streak. We're in month 5 of very dominant play.

He may be the 2nd best puck handler in this draft class (I'd probably put Demidov #1 for puck skills).

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I just try to get comfortable with all the options that could be there.

Watching Iginla Sennecke Eiserman Helenius over the last bit to see if I can.

Helenius didn't.
Eiserman provides a quality, I wouldn't love it but I'd understand it.
Sennecke might have the highest upside but the floor is murky.
Iginla high floor but giving me complementary scorer vibes rather than puck dominant play driver.
Fair, but it's not like you can't say similar things about Lindstrom and Catton.

Those are the 6 guys "in the conversation", right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad