2024 NHL Draft Thread | No Picks, No Problems

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Think we did pretty for a team not having any early picks. Still unhappy about the lIndholm deal, cuz I don't think we are going to sign him.'

Oh well, still a B+ in my opinion. decent draft .

Reactions: dez

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Got some good upside forwards considering we didn’t pick until almost 100 players in and even Alcos seems like a decent bet to become something down the road. Last pick is the real mystery box, though.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Beauty, my top 2 picks Patterson and Romani. Can't say I've been this accurate ever. Really like what we've done with limited picks.

1719691318375.png
1719690989630.png

1719691063379.png

1719691559943.png

Basille Sansonnens - 6'4" 198 lbs.
1719691804113.png

Really not a fan of Elite Prospects way of displaying player stats. Prefer Hockey DB for size, visibility, info, and viewing straightforwardness. Not even on hockey database though.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
LMAO.

Pronman gave the Canucks draft a D.

I swear every single year, that dude just gets more and more clueless about prospects.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
It's actually swiss for Song Sung Blue by Neil Diamond - everybody knows that

I went over to a friend's place a few days ago for a movie night. He'd made cookies, and although he hadn't made them for the occasion I probably ate 6 or 7. They were oatmeal raisin, and they were amazing. They had pecan chunks for a bit of crunch, although I didn't even notice the flavor of them. The cookies tasted buttery, but when I remarked on this he told me he used -- get this -- coconut oil.

You wouldn't have liked these cookies, or at least would have been too determined not to eat them to find out, but I'm telling you about them anyway because I know you'd want me to be happy.

Reactions: I am toxic

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Gotta say, at first glance I'm quite happy with the draft selections this year, given their pick capital. And especially relative to last year.

There's a clear throughline with the forward prospects, targeting guys with encouraging junior production profiles and offensive skills. However, the drawback for them all being deficient skating, hopefully something they can improve. Patterson's skating does seem to be starting from a better place.

I like the Alcos pick as well. EP had him rated decently high, and he's a big, mobile, physical, RD. Those kinds of players can project to play games through physical tools alone.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Gotta say, at first glance I'm quite happy with the draft selections this year, given their pick capital. And especially relative to last year.

There's a clear throughline with the forward prospects, targeting guys with encouraging junior production profiles and offensive skills. However, the drawback for them all being deficient skating, hopefully something they can improve. Patterson's skating does seem to be starting from a better place.

I like the Alcos pick as well. EP had him rated decently high, and he's a big, mobile, physical, RD. Those kinds of players can project to play games through physical tools alone.

I'm still evaluating the draft and so haven't formed a strong opinion yet, but it seems like they drafted forwards almost exactly as I would prefer to draft them lol: Intelligence and production, less about tools (skating/size).

And sure enough, they're recent tendency for Dmen is also on display for the Alcos pick. Not sure about going in the opposite direction for dmen, but it's fine given the position of the pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: arttk

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
It seems the Canucks concentrated on players that had skills that were hard to teach but also had deficiencies that they could teach and improve upon. I think this draft is where we will see the affect of the Canucks organizational coaching depth they have been striving for.

They have amazing depth of knowledge in foward, defense, mental toughness, goaltending, peak fitness, lifestyle and even how to have a long career as an NHL depth player. There isn't a single category of player that these prospects might become that doesn't have a coach/mentor with real NHL experience.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think the draft projects to be one of the worst drafts in recent memory so I'm fine with the shift in priorities.

Otherwise, I would be curious at the change in direction in terms of the forwards. At least at the NHL level, Rutherford is known to acquire forwards for their skating abilities. We did so here notably with Lafferty and Mik. Drafting forwards whose skating is an issue seems inconsistent with what the team has been looking for at the NHL level. With that said, the forwards (minus Lekkerimaki) that we have drafted under Rutherford/Allvin (very small sample size) haven't looked very good so I'm all for a change in approach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad