2024 NHL Draft Thread | No Picks, No Problems

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Used the sim. I took (C) Riley Patterson in round 3, (C) Anthony Romani in round 4, Huge Swedish defenseman (LD) Gabriel Elliason in round 6. However I was very tempted to take Miroslav Satan Jr. Then I took a (LW) Nanaimo kid Jamie Heslop with the other 6th. Finally a (RD) Jack Bodin 6'4 211 and 12 points in 46 games with Orebro Jr. Surprised that Romani was there in round 4. His stats are jumping out at me.

View attachment 881092
View attachment 881093
View attachment 881094
View attachment 881095
View attachment 881096

Well. I'm happy. I would have taken Patterson in round 3 back on June 12th. Is this Romani kid still around? I'm curious why he's not got any hype around him. He scored 58 goals and 111 points in 68 games.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
It's honestly riskier for small market teams to draft NCAA Americans than it is Russians at this point.

McGroarty is the latest example in a long line.
I think it's less "small market" and more "somewhat undesirable" Canadian cities, and organizations that like to slow cook their prospects.

Gauthier (Philly) and McGroarty both wanted guaranteed NHL roster spots. Winnipeg and Philly don't do that. They slow cook their prospects and readily send them to the AHL if they feel they need to go there.

If an organization values AHL development time and doesn't do "guaranteed" NHL roster spots, they probably shouldn't draft NCAA players in the first round, at least for the time being.

Edited to add: This is also why I wasn't surprised that Philly traded with Minnesota so that Minnesota could take Buium.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think it's less "small market" and more "somewhat undesirable" Canadian cities, and organizations that like to slow cook their prospects.

Gauthier (Philly) and McGroarty both wanted guaranteed NHL roster spots. Winnipeg and Philly don't do that. They slow cook their prospects and readily send them to the AHL if they feel they need to go there.

If an organization values AHL development time and doesn't do "guaranteed" NHL roster spots, they probably shouldn't draft NCAA players in the first round, at least for the time being.

American college athletes from wealthy families are perhaps the most entitled people in the entire world

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
American college athletes from wealthy families are perhaps the most entitled people in the entire world
If more Canadian players start taking the NCAA route, either through choosing to play in the BCHL/AJHL/USHL etc or through CHL players being allowed to play in the NCAA, I can almost guarantee this will start happening with them too.

The one thing that gives me pause on that is how deeply entrenched Canadian hockey culture is. Hockey culture is like this in general, but especially in Canada, things are very "team first and team only, be happy with the team that chooses you, be a cog in the wheel, do not place too much emphasis on your personal autonomy and desires".

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I am just loving this draft, no wasted picks so far

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Not sure how much you've traveled, but the entitlement wealth brings is pretty common across all cultures. Generally speaking, those with strong systems of hierarchies tend to be the worst.

Reactions: Caspian

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'm surprised he wasn't picked Earlier, also didn't think we'd take any more high offense forwards this draft but probably had him ranked way higher and couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad