GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread - ESPN , Sportsnet & TVA Sports (Canada) 7:00 - June 28 - 29

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Love the pick.

Risky business. Ok I see you Sweeney

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Scott Wheeler's write up on Dean Letourneau from The Athletic:

Letourneau drew a lot of attention from scouts this season as a towering center who can skate. Believe it or not, I've had staff at SAC tell me he's also closer to 6-foot-7 or 6-8 than his 6-6 listing from NHL Central Scouting, too. His skating, shot and puck control in tight to his body all leap out as unusual for a player his size. He's fluid through his crossovers and comes out of them lighter than you might expect. It can be difficult to project players from the Prep Hockey Conference, but SAC has a track record of developing one or two prospects per draft, and BC did a good job bringing along Jack McBain, another big center who traveled a non-standard path.

When you see him on the ice, his makeup is striking. He's a great athlete for his, with legitimate natural athleticism. When he finishes his checks (which he needs to do more of), he can overpower opposing players at the boards or muscle through in control. Off the cycle, players at the prep level don't engage with him, which allows him to take pucks off the wall and make plays with his good sense on the puck. He plays the flank on his off-side on the PP rather than the net-front/bumper role big men are usually tasked with. He's got some vision, handling and a natural shot. I don't love how passive he can be without the puck, though. There's too much standing around and too much time spent with one hand on his stick. I'd like to see him close out pucks and win them back quicker than he does because he's actually got a good stick when he's around it. I'm not sure he'll make a good penalty killer up levels (which players his size are usually asked to do) without an adjustment to his approach and play style. Those things can be taught, though, and there are definitely some real gifts/tools to work with. There haven't been many forwards his size who've made it (it's more common for a defenseman) but there are some who believe he can get to where Brian Boyle and a couple of others have as a bit of an exception to the rule. And if he's more than that, he'll be a pretty unique player.

He went down to play a couple of games for Sioux Falls in the USHL over the holiday break and didn't look himself in 11 minutes per game, and hasn’t been able to return after SAC’s season ended due to a nagging injury (I know scouts would have liked to see him down there again). I believe he’s on the outside looking in for Team Canada for U18 worlds, as well. The expectation is that he’s going to play next season full-time in Sioux Falls before going to BC. He's going to need some time but there are teams that will get excited about his makeup and consider him in the late-first/early second round (though I know there are some, like me, who’d like to see him be more involved off the puck). He’ll be fascinating to track.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad