GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

5:20-9:40 the relevant segment there.

Based on recent discussions Marek has had, he predicts Levshunov will go to Chicago, Buium to Ducks ( :damnpc: ) and Lindstrom to CBJ.

Friedman thinks the draft starts at #4 in terms of action, there are teams who believe CBJ is motivated to do something big. He comments on the Lebrun report that PHI was indeed interested to move up, CBJ wanted picks 12, 32 + COL 1st '25 for 4OA which was too much for Flyers but CBJ and PHI will have talks again today at the draft. He's guessing there is a third team involved.

Col 1st next year is probably close to a 2nd round pick.

We asked for 32 + ~27 to drop down from 4 to 12? That's not enough.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022

5:20-9:40 the relevant segment there.

Based on recent discussions Marek has had, he predicts Levshunov will go to Chicago, Buium to Ducks ( :damnpc: ) and Lindstrom to CBJ.

Friedman thinks the draft starts at #4 in terms of action, there are teams who believe CBJ is motivated to do something big. He comments on the Lebrun report that PHI was indeed interested to move up, CBJ wanted picks 12, 32 + COL 1st '25 for 4OA which was too much for Flyers but CBJ and PHI will have talks again today at the draft. He's guessing there is a third team involved.

Friedman mentioned that he thought a third team might be involved and guessed that it might be Carolina with Necas.

All in all, I have a hard time seeing a scenario where Columbus moves down and I don't hate it. I just don't see the sense in it. They need high-quality core pieces going forward.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
12 hours to go

The swap with Philly needs to hurt, they're a divisional foe and a kid we'll be playing six times a year for a decade, 12 and both firsts next year. Maybe Philly can swing a trade to get up to 8 or 9 and then trade us that one?

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I feel like you can't go past 9. At 9 you are still getting one of TJ Iginla, Senneke, Catton, Yakemchuck or Buium. The only way I go to 12 is if I get both picks unprotected next year and they take salary. The idea of having to deal with the repercussions of giving them a tandem of Michkov and Demidov has got to cripple the rest of their roster/rebuild timeline for at least a couple of years. Honestly, I would be talking to the flames as 9+28 if this type of move is really in consideration as we might be able to package 28 with 36 to jump back up and grab Adam Jiricek or someone who starts to fall like Cole Eiserman,

Reactions: squashmaple

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

4. Columbus Blue Jackets: Cayden Lindstrom, C, Medicine Hat (WHL)​

I’m not a doctor, and I don’t play a doctor either. All I can say is that several NHL teams have significant concerns about Lindstrom’s back injury — he had a disk herniation during the season. It doesn’t mean they are concerned to the point they wouldn’t draft him, or not draft him high, but that’s a major discussion point for any team in the mix for him. My understanding, though, is that teams have been assured by doctors he is generally healthy and can play, and it’s more about the long-term risks of drafting a big kid who has had back problems. I think Columbus is high on this player, and if the doctors clear him he’s the favorite to go at No. 4. If they don’t, then it gets interesting. Sennecke and Silayev seem to be the most common names suggested here as alternatives by other clubs. I think they like Demidov a lot but I don’t think he’s their favorite option at No. 4.

First its teams have cleared him. Now there’s some scouts with long term concerns. Yikes

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022

First its teams have cleared him. Now there’s some scouts with long term concerns. Yikes
If a team like Montréal or Utah really likes him, I'm sure they are quick to express concerns. On that note, what I found interesting there is that he offers Silayev or Sennecke as alternatives "suggested [...] by other clubs."

Reactions: CBJx614

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Hope we trade with Utah , grab Sennecke .. especially if he can play center . The long term part with the back beyond my comfort level , especially with scouts saying Sennecke has higher ceiling than Lindstrom

Reactions: Toe Pick

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
“Could be” they arrest Jarmo Kekalainen in connection with the malfunction of the Bellagio fountain when it’s discovered the reason for the malfunction is the bodies of Pierre-Luc Dubois and Patrik Laine have been shoved into the underground water works.

“Could be” Bettman cancels the draft for spots 2-12 and gives all of those players to Columbus. Later, footage from “another angle” shows Don Waddell with his right arm up the back of Bettman’s suit coat. Bissonette says on Spittin Chiclets, “I thought Gary was surprisingly unshaky there.” Elliott Friedman is fired for making a “Weekend at Gary’s” reference. In a last-ditch effort to save his job, Friedman says he meant performing artist The Weeknd, who actually was a guest of the commissioner’s for the draft.

“Could be” the club announced it is dropping the nickname “Blue Jackets” in an overdue acknowledgment that the name was indeed based on the white-man-turned-Indian-chief story and not some cockamamie yarn about Civil War uniforms. “What about the Penitentiary jinx?” Scheig asks and Mike Priest scolds him for perpetuating this other piece of nonsense because the Pen was like where the park and condos are located, not where the arena was built, closing the diatribe with “you dolt.” In a corresponding move, Waddell names @KallioWeHardlyKnewYe Special assistant to the GM.

“Could be” the organization has shipped the cannon to Vegas in secret and is threatening to quote “lay waste to the strip” unless the league goes back and has the team win the coin flip instead of the Wild, meaning it could be a literally “explosive day.”

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
“Could be” they arrest Jarmo Kekalainen in connection with the malfunction of the Bellagio fountain when it’s discovered the reason for the malfunction is the bodies of Pierre-Luc Dubois and Patrik Laine have been shoved into the underground water works.

“Could be” Bettman cancels the draft for spots 2-12 and gives all of those players to Columbus. Later, footage from “another angle” shows Don Waddell with his right arm up the back of Bettman’s suit coat. Bissonette says on Spittin Chiclets, “I thought Gary was surprisingly unshaky there.”

“Could be” the club announced it is dropping the nickname “Blue Jackets” in an overdue acknowledgment that the name was indeed based on the white-man-turned-Indian-chief story and not some cockamamie yarn about Civil War uniforms. “What about the Penitentiary jinx?” Scheig asks and Mike Priest scolds him for perpetuating this other piece of nonsense because the Pen was like where the park and condos are located, not where the arena was built. In a corresponding move, Waddell names @KallioWeHardlyKnewYe Special assistant to the GM.

“Could be” the organization has shipped the cannon to Vegas in secret and is threatening to quote “lay waste to the strip” unless the league goes back and has the team win the coin flip instead of the Wild, meaning it could be a literally “explosive day.”
@Viqsi @CBJWerenski8 should we give any of these rumors its own thread?

• Haha
Reactions: Viqsi

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

“Could be” Bettman cancels the draft for spots 2-12 and gives all of those players to Columbus. Later, footage from “another angle” shows Don Waddell with his right arm up the back of Bettman’s suit coat. Bissonette says on Spittin Chiclets, “I thought Gary was surprisingly unshaky there.”

“Could be” the club announced it is dropping the nickname “Blue Jackets” in an overdue acknowledgment that the name was indeed based on the white-man-turned-Indian-chief story and not some cockamamie yarn about Civil War uniforms. “What about the Penitentiary jinx?” Scheig asks and Mike Priest scolds him for perpetuating this other piece of nonsense because the Pen was like where the park and condos are located, not where the arena was built, Caplin the diatribe with “you dolt.” In a corresponding move, Waddell names @KallioWeHardlyKnewYe Special assistant to the GM.

"Could be" something ridiculous...:ha::help::sarcasm::skeptic::cool::rolleyes::confused:
:dunno::facepalm:...:DD
"

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
tired: cbj trades the 4th pick for necas+ and signs him to a long-term deal

wired: cbj trades the 4th pick + sillinger for 12 + konecny and signs him to a long-term deal

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I'm all for trading back but honestly not past 7. That leaves multiple good players in this tier of "who's going where" nonsense.

Ultimately I highly doubt a move gets done. These things always require overpayments and teams rarely do that.

If it's Lindstrom, fine, I dont love the long term prospects but would accept and hope for the best.

Reactions: ViD

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

“Could be” Bettman cancels the draft for spots 2-12 and gives all of those players to Columbus. Later, footage from “another angle” shows Don Waddell with his right arm up the back of Bettman’s suit coat. Bissonette says on Spittin Chiclets, “I thought Gary was surprisingly unshaky there.” Elliott Friedman is fired for making a “Weekend at Gary’s” reference. In a last-ditch effort to save his job, Friedman says he meant performing artist The Weeknd, who actually was a guest of the commissioner’s for the draft.

“Could be” the club announced it is dropping the nickname “Blue Jackets” in an overdue acknowledgment that the name was indeed based on the white-man-turned-Indian-chief story and not some cockamamie yarn about Civil War uniforms. “What about the Penitentiary jinx?” Scheig asks and Mike Priest scolds him for perpetuating this other piece of nonsense because the Pen was like where the park and condos are located, not where the arena was built, closing the diatribe with “you dolt.” In a corresponding move, Waddell names @KallioWeHardlyKnewYe Special assistant to the GM.

I did the research.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm all for trading back but honestly not past 7. That leaves multiple good players in this tier of "who's going where" nonsense.

Ultimately I highly doubt a move gets done. These things always require overpayments and teams rarely do that.

If it's Lindstrom, fine, I dont love the long term prospects but would accept and hope for the best.
How often are prospects not long term prospects? Not very often

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I mean to be fair, look at Florida, they only have a handful of drafted guys, the rest have been trade and FA acquisitions..

A top 5 pick seems like a legitimate building block though.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I mean to be fair, look at Florida, they only have a handful of drafted guys, the rest have been trade and FA acquisitions..

A top 5 pick seems like a legitimate building block though.
They bought low on many high picks and also had a lot of luck like the Tkachuk situation, hard thing to replicate. Most other Cup winners drafted their core and filled in the blanks which Florida still kinda did, they just had more blanks. If they never got a guy like Barkov at the top of the draft things would look wildly different for them right now

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad