GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread | 11:30 AM EST | NHLN/ESPN+

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Guarantee that 4.3 he supposedly ran .. isn’t comparable to the lazer timed they use at the combine .. Great that he’s a great athlete , I’d be more curious what he’s able to do these days , post back
At the absolute worst it's like a high 4.4 or 4.5

Like I said it's not the biggest deal, there's a reason the NHL doesn't have players do that in the combine, id be more interested in his 3 cone drill times.

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
I went on Tankathon the other day to quickly check up the draft order and was bummed out seeing Surin and Badinka mock drafted right ahead of Columbus at #34. They are my two of my favourites for that pick.

I am all for this! Especially since I don't really get their goalie pick last year. Columbus' good goalie prospects (Greaves and Ivanov) are below the magic 6 ft barrier, so I guess it would be nice to have one above that too.

Something that stuck with me from this interview was that Backstrom said Strahl has been calling him for tips and advice since they first met. Seems like a player truly dedicated to improving.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I choose to use this as further confirmation of my belief that Pronman is completely batshit f***ing insane.
I like Pronman because whether or not you agree with him, I feel he explains and defends his thinking. That said, Demidov at 8 is quite the glaring outlier. On the flip side I feel like he was the first writer I heard pumping up Sennecke and seemed a bit ahead of the curve. Now everyone loves Sennecke. So...it goes both ways.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I like Pronman because whether or not you agree with him, I feel he explains and defends his thinking. That said, Demidov at 8 is quite the glaring outlier. On the flip side I feel like he was the first writer I heard pumping up Sennecke and seemed a bit ahead of the curve. Now everyone loves Sennecke. So...it goes both ways.
According to Will at Scouching, Pronman is the one guy to really pay attention to , as he goes by what’s he’s hearing from actual front offices , not necessarily how scouts slot players ..

On a separate note , I’ve seen various mocks now listing Demidov and Sennecke as center / wing … Sennecke was pretty obvious he Could be a center with his skating , playmaking , edge work etc, but now that the word is out that Demidov is nearly 6ft 1 and close to 200 lbs , many are saying he may be a center at NHl level ….. Pretty interesting when you think that the 4 players we are really enamored by Demidov, Sennecke, Lindstrom and Inginla all are seen by teams that may end up a center … Lindstrom who played center almost exclusively…some have said could be Power Forward in NHL at worst case … anyway, just an observation

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
According to Will at Scouching, Pronman is the one guy to really pay attention to , as he goes by what’s he’s hearing from actual front offices , not necessarily how scouts slot players ..

On a separate note , I’ve seen various mocks now listing Demidov and Sennecke as center / wing … Sennecke was pretty obvious he Could be a center with his skating , playmaking , edge work etc, but now that the word is out that Demidov is nearly 6ft 1 and close to 200 lbs , many are saying he may be a center at NHl level ….. Pretty interesting when you think that the 4 players we are really enamored by Demidov, Sennecke, Lindstrom and Inginla all are seen by teams that may end up a center … Lindstrom who played center almost exclusively…some have said could be Power Forward in NHL at worst case … anyway, just an observation

Yeah, I want Demidov significantly more than any other player. It would probably be a miracle if he fell to us and we took him at this point, but holy shit, that play/pass at 1:45 in the video was legitimately McDavid level vision. Insane. I truly don't understand how he actually may fall past 2.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not saying there’s a right or wrong way to feel, just sharing my own experience.

But I’m exhausted of this topic. I’m excited about new young talent, just tired of the speculation.

To be frank, I feel the same about the coaching search, the Laine trade business, the Elvis topic, the RFA contracts, the Rimer replacement…

I realize this is how it goes for a crappy team that fires people. I realize I might be spending a little more time thinking about these things because I’m on a message board. But no I don’t need to touch grass. I’m good with having a life.

I’m just ready, as a fan, to move beyond the speculation phase of this off-season.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Sick mitts, but I still worry about his skating at the NHL level. Maybe his elite skill can overcome that fear for me should we pick him, but it's something that concerns me - admittedly, I'm not a skating coach or expert :)

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Sick mitts, but I still worry about his skating at the NHL level. Maybe his elite skill can overcome that fear for me should we pick him, but it's something that concerns me - admittedly, I'm not a skating coach or expert :)
the reassuring things i've read about his skating are that:
  • his skating stance/posture is still really good (gets low to the ice)
  • the straight-line speed is just okay
  • his skating, right now, projects to be NHL average
  • his hockey sense + skill make him so good at slowing down the game that it may not matter
  • whatever technical issues he has are fixable
basically he's not a bad skater, he's just not a burner like some guys are. but the technical stuff is correctable and he'll likely get faster as he fills out his frame + adds lower body strength.

his season ended two months ago and he weighed in at about 15-20 pounds heavier than teams expected, which is a good sign that he will be able to add strength and good weight as he matures.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
the reassuring things i've read about his skating are that:
  • his skating stance/posture is still really good (gets low to the ice)
  • the straight-line speed is just okay
  • his skating, right now, projects to be NHL average
  • his hockey sense + skill make him so good at slowing down the game that it may not matter
  • whatever technical issues he has are fixable
basically he's not a bad skater, he's just not a burner like some guys are. but the technical stuff is correctable and he'll likely get faster as he fills out his frame + adds lower body strength.

his season ended two months ago and he weighed in at about 15-20 pounds heavier than teams expected, which is a good sign that he will be able to add strength and good weight as he matures.

I think the extra weight is a sign that he's close to done in terms of filling out. He might be done now at 192 lbs. I'd bet that is "good weight", as in almost all muscle.

I didn't think he needs to get much stronger. He plays a strong game. He can give and take hits pretty well. He wins a good number of battles.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad