GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
After all the pre-draft talk about trades here and there, I can't feel conflicted about the pick, I'm just happy they made it. I'm pleased that it's Lindstrom too. I think and hope he's going to be a good one for them.

Reactions: Viqsi

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I must say I like these special announcers, Celine Dion, this boxing guy, it's probably a good direction to get some extra buzz going for the league. The weight and height was a nice touch, more of that too please!

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Hoping Lindstrom is 100% healthy which should make him a good player for the Blue Jackets. It strikes me that Demidov with no health questions and a higher ceiling might have been a better pick.

Reactions: tunnelvision

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hoping Lindstrom is 100% healthy which should make him a good player for the Blue Jackets. It strikes me that Demidov with no health questions and a higher ceiling might have been a better pick.
would have been a great pick also but I think this is as much about the other things Lindstrom brings as much as the skill. Lindstrom brings a different balance to the entire lineup and feels as much about roster building as it is simply drafting the most pure skill

Reactions: CannonFire1

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
By the way, since it’s coming up, it’s my opinion that we should almost certainly keep the pick.

1) This applies more to mid-late round, but typically, a pick in the future is “worth a round” (e.g., a 7th round this year is worth a 6th next year; a 5th round this year is worth a 4th next year). It’s not exactly analogous for a 2nd round pick (like, a 2024 2nd is certainly not worth a 2025 1st), but there is more “value” still in a 2024 2nd over a 2025 2nd*

2) The chances of us being worse than we were this year seem very slim to me. I’m guessing we’ll be picking in the low 40s next year. Another reason to keep this year’s pick and give up next year’s.

*I don’t know if people are projecting next year’s draft is better or not, regardless, I feel like: a) those projections are often difficult/inaccurate a year in advance; and b) they typically only apply to the first round anyway.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
By the way, since it’s coming up, it’s my opinion that we should almost certainly keep the pick.

1) This applies more to mid-late round, but typically, a pick in the future is “worth a round” (e.g., a 7th round this year is worth a 6th next year; a 5th round this year is worth a 4th next year). It’s not exactly analogous for a 2nd round pick (like, a 2024 2nd is certainly not worth a 2025 1st), but there is more “value” still in a 2024 2nd over a 2025 2nd*

2) The chances of us being worse than we were this year seem very slim to me. I’m guessing we’ll be picking in the low 40s next year. Another reason to keep this year’s pick and give up next year’s.

*I don’t know if people are projecting next year’s draft is better or not, regardless, I feel like: a) those projections are often difficult/inaccurate a year in advance; and b) they typically only apply to the first round anyway.
Agreed and plus we can easily recoup the second rounder next year (or better?) by trading Provorov

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Okay with Lindstrom if they’re 90% confident in the medicals.

Felt a similar feeling to when it was PLD over JP, but that ended up being the right pick technically… so I’ll trust the scouts and roll with this one.. “hope for the best!”

Sidenote— would love to hear what their assessment was of Demidov. Someone mentioned earlier about CBJ not seeing him play live and/or their ability to sign him.. how much did any of that play into it if at all?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad