NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Just a bunch of whining on here from guys who know nothing about scouting. Not saying all these picks will land, but the amount of people who are sure the Senators made huge errors on their selections today are laughable. You all don't know anything, sorry to say, and if some bust, that doesn't mean you had insight, it means you were lucky on your predictions. We will all just have to wait and see.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Overall, I really like what we did with this draft,

We took a big risk in the second round imo, but if Eliasson pans out he's a bit of a unicorn,

4th round I really liked all our picks,

Yakemchuk may not have been my preference, but there's still lots to like.
Feel the same.
Not sure why we didn't take the big Fin D Jesse Pulkinnen at 39.. He was widely ranked there, played 29 games in Liiga and doesn't seem like so much of a project. Eliasson is younger and more violent .. I guess it was a bit of a swing that he'll turn into something that can play.
4th round without picking it apart at all looks like we got some prospects with some chance.
Yakemchuk.. Lots of attributes to like .. Also at 7OA the opportunity cost is quite high. Let's see how he develops. The offense is there.

No question our scouting team were dialed in on Big and Physical . We can expect Yakemchuk to play a big role and a couple others to be at least close.
Worst case Belleville is going to be just HELL to play against

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Feel the same.
Not sure why we didn't take the big Fin D Jesse Pulkinnen at 39.. He was widely ranked there, played 29 games in Liiga and doesn't seem like so much of a project. Eliasson is younger and more violent .. I guess it was a bit of a swing that he'll turn into something that can play.
4th round without picking it apart at all looks like we got some prospects with some chance.
Yakemchuk.. Lots of attributes to like .. Also at 7OA the opportunity cost is quite high. Let's see how he develops. The offense is there.

No question our scouting team were dialed in on Big and Physical . We can expect Yakemchuk to play a big role and a couple others to be at least close.
Worst case Belleville is going to be just HELL to play against
It's funny, I can't remember which of our scouts said it but they were asked about whether there was a focus on size and they said no, it just sort of happened that the next guy on their list happened to be big. I think it was in the post draft video that talked to a bunch of our scouts.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's funny, I can't remember which of our scouts said it but they were asked about whether there was a focus on size and they said no, it just sort of happened that the next guy on their list happened to be big. I think it was in the post draft video that talked to a bunch of our scouts.
Yes at least a couple scouts said that it just worked out that way but looking in from the outside it sure seems like that is a valued trait

Reactions: Micklebot

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They all said the same thing, It was all the area scouts talking about their picks.

Fargher with Yakemchuk in the W
Flanagan with Ellinas in Ontario
Boeser with Moore in USHS
Janecyk with his patented USHL overage special
Ostberg with Eliassion in Sweden
Ruutuu with Wallineus in Finland

Essentially “Not a focus, just a coincidence”

Every single one was asked the same question about size because of how glaringly obvious is was a big focus.

Nothing wrong with size, whatsoever. The bigger the better. We seem to have it way up on the priority list, and sometimes seems like it may overtake other things that matter.

De Blois needs to be given more to play with, Quebec was very weak this year but he should be given more pull.

We have had zero success, legitimately zero, out of Europe in a decade. That needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes at least a couple scouts said that it just worked out that way but looking in from the outside it sure seems like that is a valued trait
I think they clearly value size, and that might show up in us really devaluing the really small guys to the point that especially lower ranked ones might fall right off our lists, but I suspect us drafting 6'4 guys rather than 6'1 guys, I suspect that was just chance.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So with all these mean big kids that has big bust/project etiquette , who is going to devellop them to NHLers ?Which guy did we devellop internally recently ( not counting guys who delop by themselves aka Tkachuk, Stu, Sandy, Pinto, Greig since they all came well rounded from juinior game / workethic).

Let say few of them makes in big club who is playing pk when they guy take PIM or bad penalties. Sandy and zub are the only guy i can think of and they were average at best.

Let's not add the fact that our top 9 depth will be really thin really soon .Rebuild is far from over we keep sinking the assets. Not a lot of prospects /picks with value to trade in the next 3 years

That's a huge part of the equation. Been saying for years that we needed to pump a lot of money and resources into Bingo/Belleville. Even if the draft picks are mediocre, you do everything you can to help every single one of them to hit their ceilings.

Melynk had started to put a bit of resources into Belleville at the end (perhaps more to invest in a new market to cultivate interest more than anything else), but Andy has to really open up the vault and do a fair bit more. I know we have started shuffling folks around (goalie coach and a few scouts), but I'm hoping this summer that goes into overdrive.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think they clearly value size, and that might show up in us really devaluing the really small guys to the point that especially lower ranked ones might fall right off our lists, but I suspect us drafting 6'4 guys rather than 6'1 guys, I suspect that was just chance.
may be a generality but I think all NHL teams value size and there is nothing wrong with that imo. I am certainly not disappointed with anything concerning the size of the players we selected. I also like physical , high motor players that compete hard,,, and I am sure most NHL teams like that as well.
I was not familiar beyond name recognition with any of the players we drafted beyond 7OA... At this point its no secret I preferred Silayev and he too is a huge.. good skating Unicorn ., Other players like Pulkinnen and Miettenen, even Brunicke I mentioned for the 2nd are also big and physical. The current make up of the Ottawa team can certainly use that.

Reactions: Micklebot

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
We’re not the only team that drafted big players. Might seem that way but lots of organizations are full of big strong players.
And we have to compete with them. That’s the trend of the league.

Last edited:

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
I just watched the video. My takeaway from watching it is that we desperately need to replace our scouting staff lol.

Size was not an emphasis, but when asked what qualities each pick brings to the ice, "oh ya hes a big guy.. he's gonna fill out and be a big strong guy... ya, just a really big tough guy"

Like.. wtf. Who are these guys? I get they're maybe not the best public speakers but have some substance when talking about the prospects.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Size is important, but I think especially as it pertains to defencemen, so is intelligence. They talk about playoffs and these big dmen over and over again, but I think average sized guys like Forsling, Devon Toews, Ryan McDonagh have had some of the best playoff performances outside of the bigger names over the past few years. All so smart.

I have no issue with the Sens drafting these big toolsy guys, but I wonder why that’s about the only type of dman we’ve taken in years. Hamara is the only exception, I think. Maybe they’re jaded because of Lassi and JBD.

I don’t critique Sens drafts because I barely watch these prospects so really I’m way too uninformed to have any strong opinions. But I do question any team that seems to be rigid in a specific player type or philosophy. I think you leave a lot on the table when you get too attached to specific prototypes.

Anyway, I think we need some fresh blood. A lot of these prospects sound intriguing though so hopefully we hit on a few.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Size is important, but I think especially as it pertains to defencemen, so is intelligence. They talk about playoffs and these big dmen over and over again, but I think average sized guys like Forsling, Devon Toews, Ryan McDonagh have had some of the best playoff performances outside of the bigger names over the past few years. All so smart.

I have no issue with the Sens drafting these big toolsy guys, but I wonder why that’s about the only type of dman we’ve taken in years. Hamara is the only exception, I think. Maybe they’re jaded because of Lassi and JBD.

I don’t critique Sens drafts because I barely watch these prospects so really I’m way too uninformed to have any strong opinions. But I do question any team that seems to be rigid in a specific player type or philosophy. I think you leave a lot on the table when you get too attached to specific prototypes.

Anyway, I think we need some fresh blood. A lot of these prospects sound intriguing though so hopefully we hit on a few.
Exactly, well put.

It was the exact same checklist, right down to leagues and scouts making picks.

When you can predict the players they’re going to take, or the leagues and player status’ and rounds to expect them, it’s because you’ve gotten predictable in what you’re looking for. And I’m not saying they’re wrong, but when you’re obviously putting an emphasis on certain things that make predictable players be expected, I’d argue you’re likely leaving a lot in the table because guys don’t fit that emphasis you’re very clearly looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayOn

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
As we all know, drafting 18 year olds is about projecting what they will become and not what they are. The team clearly identified big kids who play an aggressive style and are hoping they evolve into NHL players.

Of course, without the ability to handle the puck, see the ice and make decisions under pressure, they won't survive.

I don't mind the Sens strategy. We all agreed our team was way too soft and way too easy to play against. They now have players in the pipeline that will make us much tougher.

Reactions: aragorn

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
If you're really good, you can get away with being average size or smaller. But how many average sized guys have played on the third pairing of teams with recent success?

I strongly suspect that Staios will put his mark on the amateur scouting staff in the next month or two. Can't see him staying the course with Dorion's team.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why are people so opposed to size, isn't it obvious watching the NHL playoffs that you need a big tough team to win? Edm had plenty of skill including the two best offensive skilled players in the world & a super point producing defenceman & still lost. The 1st rd in the draft is used to pick your top six forwards & top 4 defencemen. After the first rd you are mostly looking to fill the bottom six & bottom pairing & that's usually where you want some bigger players. If you are lucky you get a top six forward or top 4 D after the first rd, but it's not a guarantee & the further down the draft you go the less likely. Some here were more than happy to select Silavey who I thonk was one of the biggest guys in the draft, no one seemed to have a problem if they selected him.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Yakemchuk
Kleven - JBD/Guennette

By drafting Yakemchuk they now have their top 4 filled in although it might take a couple of yrs for him to be NHL ready. Wasn't that what they wanted, a top 4 RD? And they got that. In the 2nd rd they took a big defenceman who is being compared to Silayev who a number of people on here wanted. He's clearly not as good & a long term project but at some point may or may not be a 2nd or 3rd pairing D & is insurance should Kleven leave some day. After that it's anybodies guess as to how these other guys pan out, but it's quite unlikely they are not top six forwards or top 4 D & more likely bottom six & bottom pairing depth.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Listening to the uniformity of the talking points after the draft, and looking at how narrowly we've drafted the last few years, it's time for new blood to get some different perspectives in the scouting room. It's like Dorion assembled a group of 11 scouts who all think the exact same way, and like the exact same things, with no voices in there fighting for or capable of identifying different kinds of good players.

Part of my disappointment after the Eliasson pick wasn't so much with Eliasson the prospect (although I have my concerns at 39), it was that it showed nothing had changed.

Hopefully, now that this draft is behind them, Staois will start to change the dynamic.

Last edited:
Reactions: BondraTime

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Why are people so opposed to size, isn't it obvious watching the NHL playoffs that you need a big tough team to win? Edm had plenty of skill including the two best offensive skilled players in the world & a super point producing defenceman & still lost. The 1st rd in the draft is used to pick your top six forwards & top 4 defencemen. After the first rd you are mostly looking to fill the bottom six & bottom pairing & that's usually where you want some bigger players. If you are lucky you get a top six forward or top 4 D after the first rd, but it's not a guarantee & the further down the draft you go the less likely. Some here were more than happy to select Silavey who I thonk was one of the biggest guys in the draft, no one seemed to have a problem if they selected him.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Yakemchuk
Kleven - JBD/Guennette

By drafting Yakemchuk they now have their top 4 filled in although it might take a couple of yrs for him to be NHL ready. Wasn't that what they wanted, a top 4 RD? And they got that. In the 2nd rd they took a big defenceman who is being compared to Silayev who a number of people on here wanted. He's clearly not as good & a long term project but at some point may or may not be a 2nd or 3rd pairing D & is insurance should Kleven leave some day. After that it's anybodies guess as to how these other guys pan out, but it's quite unlikely they are not top six forwards or top 4 D & more likely bottom six & bottom pairing depth.
Adding yakemchuk makes such a big difference.
It makes things a lot easier to project now rather than taking a LD and then being forced to move chabot and chychrun.
Only time will tell if we passed on a much better player.
We did get a future nhl RD though and he could end up one of the better players from the draft. His offensive skill and physical size is such a great package. The defensive side is not bad like some are worried about and he has plenty of time to improve on it further.
We got a special player.
Cant wait to see how he progresses from here.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Adding yakemchuk makes such a big difference.
It makes things a lot easier to project now rather than taking a LD and then being forced to move chabot and chychrun.
Only time will tell if we passed on a much better player.
We did get a future nhl RD though and he could end up one of the better players from the draft. His offensive skill and physical size is such a great package. The defensive side is not bad like some are worried about and he has plenty of time to improve on it further.
We got a special player.
Cant wait to see how he progresses from here.
Exactly, I don't remember people being this upset when they drafted Phillips & Volchenkov & they weren't exactly perfect. From the combine we found out that a number of WHL prospects named Yakemchuk as the toughest or hardest player to play against, (that's good defensive hockey) isn't that what we want to be harder to play against? Brannstrom couldn't clear the front of the net, but this guy can. Clearing the front of the net is good defensive hockey. Leaning on guys making their life miserable around our crease, is good defensive hockey.

They say his skating is bad, yet Poulin who is highly regarded in the NHL & supposedly a good evaluator of talent who many on here were happy they hired has said he is an elite skater. Yet people tend to believe guys on the internet over the guys actually paid to know this stuff. :facepalm:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What I don’t get about picks like Roger and eliasson is they say “oh we want a player like that”…so just got get him in FA? You’re telling me you cant find a guy to play kinda poor third line minutes and who will take 800k a year to go destroy some forwards ?
Comparing Roger and Eliasson is way off the mark. One was based on a glorified 1 week showcase, the other was scouted fully.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
We have had zero success, legitimately zero, out of Europe in a decade. That needs to be fixed.
Our #1 center was drafted out of Europe.

But outside of Stützle our European scouting has been really bad. Leevi, and maybe Jarventie are the only ones showing promise. It was once a strength for us, so it'd be nice to get back to that.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Comparing Roger and Eliasson is way off the mark. One was based on a glorified 1 week showcase, the other was scouted fully.

How they came to their decision can be different while the reasons they liked the player are the same.

If you go through all the picks round by round, it was a huge draft class. There weren't a lot of guys below 6 foot that were drafted, let alone below 5'10".

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is something that I've seen a fair bit of, there has been some disagreement on the subj of his skating, and while Poulin is the first I've seen to call it elite, I do think the criticisms has also been exaggerated.
His skating is fine, people always try & talk like they are experts on skating, when I watch him he gets up & down the ice pretty quickly, he's not Formenton, but he's not Mark Stone either. He's not graceful, he's more likely to run through you than around you although he does have some dangle to his game. Funny when little guys dangle, people get giddy, when a big guy does it they say he won't be able to do that in the NHL & yet we see NHL guys get beat all the time.
That high up the draft, you pick best player available, not position. You can prioritize positional needs 3rd round any beyond when it's 'best guess' territory.
They were in a position where there were four defenceman left & while most picked the other guys as better players, I didn't see that & thought they were much closer in talent level than people would give credit for. Yakemchuk had a 30 goal season tying a 10 yr old record in the WHL for defencemen, is that not elite talent? He had a 71 pt season again not bad offensive talent for a defenceman on a terrible offensively challenged team where he had to be the offensive catalyst. And he's not a one trick pony, he hits, he fights, he clears the front of the net & leans on players a lot defensively which is good defensive play wearing out your opponent something smaller players can't do.
Yakemchuk is an elite skater compared to dudes Poulin played against. Is what Poulin means ? I don’t know.

Which is how he still think about hockey
Do you think 20 yr olds should be drafting players, guys there own age? Poulin is highly regarded in the NHL or should we be listening to the advise of all the teenaged internet podcasters out there? Is that how we should be running this team by the internet? What are their qualifications for deciding who is an elite skater & who is not?

People seemed to be really happy we signed Poulin & Staois & no more Dorion, it hasn't been one yr & you are already turning on them. I got shit on constantly because people thought I was defending Dorion, now I find myself defending this management team? Who do you want that will satisfy you in management? Keep in mind that it's not just the players who don't want to come to Ottawa but we have already seen a number of coaches don't want to come here either & I suspect in other levels of management.

Reactions: LiseL

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Our #1 center was drafted out of Europe.

But outside of Stützle our European scouting has been really bad. Leevi, and maybe Jarventie are the only ones showing promise. It was once a strength for us, so it'd be nice to get back to that.
That’s my fault, I wasn’t counting Stutzle as that was an automatic pick, my fault for not clarifying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad