NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Wasn't Jarventie projected to have a higher ceiling at the time, and the prototypical swing for the fence boom or bust type pick?

In some ways Jarventie is an example of what people are criticizing, although the jury is still out on the outcome. He was a toolsy prospect who wasn't an effective player. In his case, he was this maddeningly passive player, and that really only started to change this past season.

That's really the crux of the issue people I think are having with this scouting staff. At times they seem indifferent to whether a guy is actually good. Ben Roger is perhaps the most glaring example of this recently. In theory, who doesn't love a 6'5" RHD with mobility? Except he wasn't any good, and it was clear from his first development camp.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Didn't people also lose their minds when we picked Jarventie in the second? There's no pleasing some of you donkeys

For the record, I'm not defending the picks at all. I fully gave up on internet talent assesment after being humbled into the earth by shouting from the rooftops that Cowen was absolutely going to become a game breaker back in the day
Sounds like you’re the donkey

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The fourth round picks seem great, no issue with those. I just hate how this team has handled the 2nd round on the last 4 years. We’ve missed out on so mcuh great talent because of our size fetish.

Even as great as the Kleven pick was, he was picked because of his size and UND connection. Look at who was picked right after. A guy who we desperately need right now but now, but of course he didn’t fit the profile of the same 2nd rounder we take every year.
Okay we don’t know if the kleven pick was great. It’s trending fine right now.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
When HF posters are right about a pick, you never hear the end of it, but never a peep when they are wrong, which happens sooooo much more frequently. That's the thing though, HF doesn't need to worry about the repercussions of missing,

I can't believe we reached on a guy with 3rd liner upside like Pinto when potential stars like Kaliyev, Afanasyev and Brink were on the board...

Zadina's like the fifth most mentioned player on this board.

• Haha
Reactions: Agent Zub

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
We’re currently on version #30 of “remember Tkachuk over Zadina?”. I feel like I’ve heard this about out every quesionabke move we’ve made the last 6 years.
And Ben Rogers is the other side of that coin. The crapshoot nature of the draft is like Christmas here because no matter what happens someone will have a gotcha moment and be able to pretend like they're not just a nerd with a keyboard

You’re crashing out. It’s just hockey, go touch some grass.
I'm at a rest stop in BC right now stretching my legs. The manufactured outrage points in the off season are funny to me

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
And Ben Rogers is the other side of that coin. The crapshoot nature of the draft is like Christmas here because no matter what happens someone will have a gotcha moment and be able to pretend like they're not just a nerd with a keyboard
How can you say it’s just a crapshoot when some teams are objectively better at getting impact players than others? Losing out on superior players because they’re a couple inches shorter than you’d like doesn’t make it a crapshoot.

Reactions: DrEasy

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I had two guys I preferred to Yakemchuk, and wish Ellison gave us a bit more to be excited about… not so sure about Wallenius… but I quite like what we did in the 4th round.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
How can you say it’s just a crapshoot when some teams are objectively better at getting impact players than others? Losing out on superior players because they’re a couple inches shorter than you’d like doesn’t make it a crapshoot.
Which teams are consistently smashing home runs on their late round picks?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Pinto, Soogard, Ostapchuk and Kleven in the past 5 years seems pretty good to me? I'm not even trying to be a dick, but which teams are hitting a noticeable amount more than that?
I don’t really see that much upside in Ostapchuk yet. Kleven is ok but we passed on a much bettee player in Faber (but was smaller than Kleven). Pinto was 5 years ago.

Montreal, Anaheim, and Dallas are teams that have done really well in the range in recent years

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Sens scouts just make it look like a crapshoot lol

4 straight drafts and barely any of the players can play

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
So with all these mean big kids that has big bust/project etiquette , who is going to devellop them to NHLers ?Which guy did we devellop internally recently ( not counting guys who delop by themselves aka Tkachuk, Stu, Sandy, Pinto, Greig since they all came well rounded from juinior game / workethic).

Let say few of them makes in big club who is playing pk when they guy take PIM or bad penalties. Sandy and zub are the only guy i can think of and they were average at best.

Let's not add the fact that our top 9 depth will be really thin really soon .Rebuild is far from over we keep sinking the assets. Not a lot of prospects /picks with value to trade in the next 3 years

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
We arent the best drafting team in the league, not by a longshot lately, but the general approach has identified some guys who are tracking well that were dismissed or undervalued by many (including at the very top of the draft).

There is a lot of valid criticism levied against this scouting group, but it can get a little overbearing at times, especially on draft day when there is a lot of story still to be written
Pinto, Soogard, Ostapchuk and Kleven in the past 5 years seems pretty good to me? I'm not even trying to be a dick, but which teams are hitting a noticeable amount more than that?
Pinto absolves a whole lot of sin, but the flip side of that coin is Roger, Sokolov, Tychonick… with Nordberg looking very precarious and Jarventie and Sogaard far from sure things.

We’ve also been mediocre with picks between 10-30 or so, with the exception of Greig: Boucher, Thomson, JBD (and Bowers if you go a bit farther back, but we got Formenton and Batherson that draft, so…).

I agree that we’re not a uniquely horrible drafting team, and things definitely
get overblown because of Dorion’s horrid asset management, but our last few drafts are looking pretty weak in their own right

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I give them a solid B for this draft.

Yakemchuk is a safe bet to be a top-4 D
The tall Swede is a gamble but one I would wager on (maybe not at 39) but if he develops...watch out. He'll be a fan favorite ala Volchenkov
The 4th round I have zero issues with. Three forwards who are expected to have a surge in production/ice-time. I am expecting one of them to become a solid bottom-6er

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad