NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yakemchuk's hockey IQ is low-like so many of our recent picks-and he's one of the oldest players in the draft, which is partially why his stats are so high. Also, his skating is mediocre.

There's a good chance that his high point totals won't translate to the NHL where you have to think at a fast pace. It's once again, a case of our scouts drafting someone for size and "character".
Bullshit on all of that. His raw ability is elite. He also grew very late. He didn't get his points because he is 6 months older. You haven't watched him. Just because a player is an early birthday doesn't mean they are physically fully developed. If anything it sounds like he has way more development to go than most players in this draft. Big players his size are always on a longer curve. He has terrific Edgework and good top speed. Like most big clunky teenagers he still has to develop his coordination. He needs to work on his first few steps. That is a trainable skill. Physical development is not linear. Look at Jack Quinn and Marco Rossi. Almost the same age exactly. One player was one of the least physically developed in their draft. The other was one of the most. You have to do a deeper dive than these blanket statements.

Yakemchum lead the WHL in goals on D but they drafted him for 'character'. Lazy narrative. You can do better.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Sens having Beaudoin ranked really high is not surprising at all. They love size, they love work rate, they love athleticism and he plays a position of high value as well. He's a good player. Not a top-10 talent.

The Sens approach the draft a lot differently than most other teams. There is probably no team that places a lower value on pure skills and hockey IQ than Ottawa. It is what it is.

It's not hard to look at the list of names still available and get a good feel for who they're going to take at 39.
They didn't have him in their top 10. People are going to have to not believe what every persons biggest fan tweets about their favorite player.

You really watched Yakemchuk play and thought they didn't put emphasis on the players skill when they drafted him?

This board.

How many massive d men in the NHL play rd with an edge and have the puck skills to run a pp? I'll wait. One just got inducted to the hall of fame first ballot. This is a Unicorn skillset.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No it wasn't it was a random nobodies tweet that they didn't do you guys are taking as fact. I know for a fact that wasn't considered for a second. They liked the player getting picked in the range he got picked in and likely would have been the pick had they kept the Boston pick. They also looked at trading up to pick him with the 2nd pick. Ya'll are just upset with the Yakemchuk pick and want to sound smart because you haven't liked him for a while.
I’m not upset at the Yakemchuk pick whatsoever. Have stated it multiple times. Not who I’d have picked, but that means nothing. I’m glad to have him on Ottawa.

Siedel isn’t a random nobody…he’s literally called just about every pick, even the gigantic reaches, for the past like 5 drafts before they were made.

Staios himself said himself that the guy they had rated after Yakemchuk, had he been gone, went much later in the draft, so it makes absolute sense they’d have taken hat “we” would see as a big reach or traded back it. Whether it was Beaudin, or a Greentree, or a Solberg, or a Parasek, or a Helenius, who knows. But it seems we weren’t looking at any of the usual guys had Yakemchuk not been there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m not upset at the Yakemchuk pick whatsoever. Have stated it multiple times.

Siedel isn’t a random nobody…he’s literally called just about every pick, even the gigantic reaches, for the past like 5 drafts before they were made.

Staios himself said himself that the guy they had rated after Yakemchuk, had he been gone, went much later in the draft, so it makes absolute sense they’d have taken hat “we” would see as a big reach or traded back it.
The attached screen shots are the top of his feed. He quite clearly has a personal interest in the player. You're stating something that I know wasn't going to happen as fact. You should really stop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240629_073529_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240629_073529_X.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240629_073516_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240629_073516_X.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240629_073510_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240629_073510_X.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240629_073618_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240629_073618_X.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The attached screen shots are the top of his feed. He quite clearly has a personal interest in the player. You're stating something that I know wasn't going to happen as fact. You should really stop.
He loves the player, absolutely. He never mentioned him with any interest anywhere else in the top 20

He also called a load in the first half of the draft, and the past 4. He went 20/20 in 2022, he clearly has info

It also lines up with Staios own words about our next guy being taken later in the draft.

You can ignore it if you'd like, as you said you know more than everyone else, but it makes absolute sense, and is coming from a guy who has called a ton of stuff that coincides with what our GM said post draft

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Who would have guessed that pick ten would have their choice of Silayev, Dickinson and Buium? I was surprised to not hear one of those names at seven, but they all made it to ten, so it wasn't just Ottawa. I personally have barely seen any of them play, so my expectations were set by mostly anonymous people on the internet and weren't worth much. One of the key messages I took from Bob's article was how many players were in the conversation after Celebrini. So many guys had interest high in the draft from one team or another, which made for the interesting night we saw.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
While I don’t like the pic. I strongly disagree with anyone saying thise was another safe pick or “we picked him cuz he’s tough” bs. This is not that if you’ve been begging for high risk high reward then this is your guy. Highest risk in the entire top end of the draft and if he can do in the NHL what he can do in the WHL? Then we have a unicorn

I agree with what you're saying, but.....I don't want us to use a top 10 pick on a swing for the fences. I can see doing that with a late first rounder (especially if we had more than one first round pick) or a later pick. But (potentially) screwing up at the top of the draft....it's hard for an organization to overcome that.

That said, I do think this kid's floor is a third pairing guy in the NHL. Simply being a right hand shot and willing to play hard and having a strong work ethic almost guarantees that for RD. I'm just not sure where his ceiling is.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Wouldn't mid Masse with 39, probably the only Q guy worth drafting
Spencer Gill is a guy I wouldn’t mind out of the Q, either. I’m also a fan of taking a shot at Poirier if he makes it to one of our 4th’s.

As for Yakemchuk, I’m not overly fond of the selection, but I get why they did it. Shores up a massive internal need and he does have potential to be a great player, just needs to reel in his game a bit for me, personally.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Spencer Gill is a guy I wouldn’t mind out of the Q, either. I’m also a fan of taking a shot at Poirier if he makes it to one of our 4th’s.

As for Yakemchuk, I’m not overly fond of the selection, but I get why they did it. Shores up a massive internal need and he does have potential to be a great player, just needs to reel in his game a bit for me, personally.

Another Q guy I like a lot with one of our 4ths is Tomas Lavoie in Cape Breton.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I had meant worth drafting at 39, that was my fault for not being very clear.

There would be another 3/4 guys I'd look at elsewhere in the draft, Gill being one of them

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Buium having the Dobson slide is great for the Wild

Pretty similar drafts with a few similar events, how they end up who knows.

Consensous 1st in Dahlin and Celebrini
Riser taken "surprisingly" at 3rd in KK and Sennecke
Meat and potatos power forward taken 4th in Lindstrom and Tkachuk
Consensous top 3 pick high skilled forward falls a few spots in Demidov and Zadina
Teams passing on Bouchard and Dobson leaving them in the double digits for the slick offensive guy in Boqvist, this year is Parekh over Dickinson, Siliyev and Buium
Sens took the big, mean, meat and potatos with skill type player that many here aren't pleased with
Flyers "reach" 4/5 spots for a smaller tenacious forward in the early teens (13/14) in Farabee and Luchenko
Islanders take the goal scoring winger who doesn't offer much else

Reactions: DrEasy and R2010

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He loves the player, absolutely. He never mentioned him with any interest anywhere else in the top 20

He also called a load in the first half of the draft, and the past 4. He went 20/20 in 2022, he clearly has info

It also lines up with Staios own words about our next guy being taken later in the draft.

You can ignore it if you'd like, as you said you know more than everyone else, but it makes absolute sense, and is coming from a guy who has called a ton of stuff that coincides with what our GM said post draft
It makes no sense that's why a select few of you are ranting and raving about it. Same people who argued yakemchuk wasn't a top 10 pick with me before the draft. Egos appear to be bruised. The behavior after has reflected it.

Everyone knew who the top 13 players were gonna be only one that slid in was luchenko. No one knew the order outside of the top 5. Not hard to predict in general this year other than the order.

Ottawa liked Beaudoin at 25. The also tried to trade into that range to pick him

That doesn't mean they had him 7th. He wasn't in their top 10 either.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BondraTime

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I had meant worth drafting at 39, that was my fault for not being very clear.

There would be another 3/4 guys I'd look at elsewhere in the draft, Gill being one of them
How are you ranking the following d prospects still available?

Charlie Elick, Jesse Pulkkinen, Will Skahan, Adam Kleber, Spencer Gill, Harrison Brunicke, Colin Ralph

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
It makes no sense that's why a select few of you are ranting and raving about it. Same people who argued yakemchuk wasn't a top 10 pick with me before the draft. Egos appear to be bruised. The behavior after has reflected it.

Everyone knew who the top 13 players were gonna be only one that slid in was luchenko. No one knew the order outside of the top 5. Not hard to predict in general this year other than the order.

Ottawa liked Beaudoin at 25. The also tried to trade into that range to pick him

That doesn't mean they had him 7th. He wasn't in their top 10 either.
How do you know he wasn't in their top 10?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Don't know anyting about any of those guys aside from Kleber and Gill, and would have them in that order
Pulkinnen is a 2nd year draft eligible but he seems like he has a unique set of skills.

Elick is a big right shot d man with some skill and phsyicality.

Skahan is supposed to be big and nasty but with more limited offensive upside.

Ralph is another big and physical d

Brunnicke also has size and a bit of skill

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pulkinnen is a 2nd year draft eligible but he seems like he has a unique set of skills.

Elick is a big right shot d man with some skill and phsyicality.

Skahan is supposed to be big and nasty but with more limited offensive upside.

Ralph is another big and physical d

Brunnicke also has size and a bit of skill

Pulkinnen is absolutely wild. If they had more picks id love if they took a swing on him. I like Elick if he falls to them at 39 id love it.

I really wanted Orielly didnt think he would make it to 39 but I was getting excited.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad