NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I agree the team needs to improve in many areas. However:
We already have 2 backup level goaltenders taking up our allocated goaltending dollars. :)
A top pairing RD is definitely a need, but we will likely get a top 4 RD if we are fortunate to obtain one.
Pinto will be getting the Tarasenko $5M, leaving little for acquiring a 2nd line F.
3rd line RW is Joseph under contract. I think he is acceptable at that position.
4th line RW is McEwen under contract. I thought he looked decent for little while last season.

Yeah I think with all the bottom 6 guys we have like McEwen, Ostapchuk, Kastelic, Boko- Green is going to fall in love with one or two of these guys and they will excel under him and find their NHL footing (kinda like Tocchet and Joshua) - to me Kastelic with his faceoff skill and size and willingness to play a net front game like we saw in the last 20 games is going to be the guy that Green gets the most out of because he’s a lot like Travis was in the NHL a bottom pairing guy who scored huge in junior but made life in the NHL by winning faceoffs, being a good forechecked and keeping momentum away from the other team and creating a bit of momentum for your own.

And for the goalies - I mean Sogaard is a nice package if goalies came off the shelf in the goalie store but he’s never looked good in the NHL, he didn’t look good in the AHL playoffs and he should be dominating, he’s just never impressed in big games even going back to his junior days he’d get lit up in big games and was never a difference maker. I’m not trusting Soaggard with this team. I need something Way better then an AHL goalie who’s coming off a kinda stinky AHL playoffs. I don’t see his timeline working out with this team, we need solid NHL goaltending to help this team get on its feet, we can’t have the goalies and the 18 skaters trying to figure it out at the same time, that was 3 years ago not today.
I’m willing to give Levi an another year or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

this is why Levshunov reminds me of Lidstrom.

Great stick and reach, great breakout and poise, and a simple but a very high hockey IQ offensive game. Knows when to shoot and when to pass and is great at both. the commentator questions his compete as unconsistent but I think docking him too much for that is unfair, he is a 18 year old player playing heavy minutes against players much older while also being asked to carry the offense. What player is going to always be able to go 90-100 percent in that scenario?

All around stud potential. But I guess we won't have to worry about that lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: armani

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sens need help everywhere. They have no top 6 forwards, no top 4 D, no starting goalies and barely any depth guys.

Is this like bad sarcasm? I'm trying to understand what you mean here and coming up pretty damned short.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Great stick and reach, great breakout and poise, and a simple but a very high hockey IQ offensive game. Knows when to shoot and when to pass and is great at both. the commentator questions his compete as unconsistent but I think docking him too much for that is unfair, he is a 18 year old player playing heavy minutes against players much older while also being asked to carry the offense. What player is going to always be able to go 90-100 percent in that scenario?

Unfortunately I think both Silayev and Levshunov will be gone by the time Ottawa drafts 7. I would target one of Lindstrom, Demidov, Dickinson, or Parekh with Ottawa's pick, or target the BPA left from someone picking off the board up top. Lindstrom and Dickinson are safe-ish picks, while Demidov and Parekh have higher ceilings (at least offensively).

Not a bad year to be picking in the top-10. Great to have 3 picks in the top-40 as the list of quality prospects goes downhill very quick. They must pick with #7, but can leverage #25 and #39 as draft capital as well.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Unfortunately I think both Silayev and Levshunov will be gone by the time Ottawa drafts 7. I would target one of Lindstrom, Demidov, Dickinson, or Parekh with Ottawa's pick, or target the BPA left from someone picking off the board up top. Lindstrom and Dickinson are safe-ish picks, while Demidov and Parekh have higher ceilings (at least offensively).

Not a bad year to be picking in the top-10. Great to have 3 picks in the top-40 as the list of quality prospects goes downhill very quick. They must pick with #7, but can leverage #25 and #39 as draft capital as well.
Lindstrom is probably a safe pick, especially at 7, but there are still questions about his health/his back.

His doctor & physio will be releasing a report to all 32 teams which his agent says clears up any doubts... but of course he says that. Not saying there are question marks, but there are definitely question marks as to whether there are question marks... at least for the time being

Reactions: Icelevel and armani

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

The good news for you is one of these guys is guaranteed to be there, assuming Celebrini goes first.

I feel like the most likely outcome as of now is Celebrini, Levshunov, Silayev, Demidov, Dickinson and Lindstrom go in some order 1 through 6, and we are choosing between Buium and Parekh (among others, of course) at seven. I'd be pretty surprised if any of those first six names, with the exception of Dickinson or Lindstrom (if his medicals aren't looking good), are available at seven. Then again, it's the draft, and nobody was expecting Thomas Hickey to go 4th, Blake Wheeler to go 5th, Moritz Seider to go 6th, Tyler Boucher to go 10th (wait, what?), etc.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Demidov isn’t the ideal player but if he falls to 7 they have to take him.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Can’t trade Chabot or Norris.

No reason to trade Brady, Timmy, Sanderson, Batherson or Pinto.

Not trading Giroux. Can’t trade Korpisalo.

There isn’t a lot of money left after that in terms of players you can move to make changes elsewhere. If you move Joseph you can bring in a “pro” for his money. I still don’t fully understand why it seems like they’re considering Zub as an option (at least if Bruce is correct), but I’d guess it has something to do with our inexperience on D.

Trading core pieces isn’t the only way to enhance the culture.
If I remember Bruce's article correctly, it was that there was a lot of interest in Zub at the trade deadline. For me, that doesn't translate to his being on the block unless they're offered something they can't pass up on. For me, that would have to be a good goalie or a physical RD.

Reactions: armani

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
If I remember Bruce's article correctly, it was that there was a lot of interest in Zub at the trade deadline. For me, that doesn't translate to his being on the block unless they're offered something they can't pass up on. For me, that would have to be a good goalie or a physical RD.
It was kind of oddly worded but he said:

Artem Zub has been a steadying influence, but league executives believe teams will kick tires on him and, if Staios wants to make changes, then a trade will be an option.

Wasn’t really talking about the deadline, but I do agree - I think he only goes in the event that upgrades are found elsewhere or via that deal. I am surprised given the circumstances of our RD that he felt it worthwhile to put it out there, but I doubt he’s dealt anyway.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

not the same ball park... highlight reels are no way to evaluate

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It was kind of oddly worded but he said:

Artem Zub has been a steadying influence, but league executives believe teams will kick tires on him and, if Staios wants to make changes, then a trade will be an option.

Wasn’t really talking about the deadline, but I do agree - I think he only goes in the event that upgrades are found elsewhere or via that deal. I am surprised given the circumstances of our RD that he felt it worthwhile to put it out there, but I doubt he’s dealt anyway.
That sounds so dumb I can’t even make sense of it.
He wants to make changes. Ok
We need upgrades on our right d side. Ok
We have one excellent rhd on a good contract.

So of all the things you’re considering, changing zub is one?

Makes no sense and I have to call complete bs. Would be as dumb as any of Dorions moronic moves.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah well that could be the thing with always drafting bpa. You could end up with no RHD in the organization.
I would do cartwheels if this is what Ottawa ends up with.

Demidov isn’t the ideal player but if he falls to 7 they have to take him.
Depends who is there, small skill winger who makes high risk plays. I really dont think I would take him too risky. Unless he is the second coming of Kucherov and they know that you cant miss on a small skill russian winger.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The good news for you is one of these guys is guaranteed to be there, assuming Celebrini goes first.

I feel like the most likely outcome as of now is Celebrini, Levshunov, Silayev, Demidov, Dickinson and Lindstrom go in some order 1 through 6, and we are choosing between Buium and Parekh (among others, of course) at seven. I'd be pretty surprised if any of those first six names, with the exception of Dickinson or Lindstrom (if his medicals aren't looking good), are available at seven. Then again, it's the draft, and nobody was expecting Thomas Hickey to go 4th, Blake Wheeler to go 5th, Moritz Seider to go 6th, Tyler Boucher to go 10th (wait, what?), etc.
Buium is going to go top 5.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
not the same ball park... highlight reels are no way to evaluate

I think that's because you're comparing him to a 30 year old veteran norris mistake free lidstrom.

Lev will never be as good or mistake free as lidstrom but I think maturation will do a lot to calm down his game and that eventually he can be a top minute muncher you can have on your shutdown pair, PP1 and on PK1, much like Lidstrom.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm getting the feeling we're getting Dickenson which would be pretty great tbh, though i really wanted Levshunov.
Agreed. If I had to guess it would be Dickenson or Parekh. Think that Staios leans on his OHL connections to get deep intel. Both should be there when they pick. I actually think there's a pretty distinct top 6.

Celebrini, Levshunov, Silayev, Buium, Demidov and Lindstrom. Lindstrom could slip due to his injuries and same with Demidov (Russian uncertainty, size, position, style of play) but the first 4 are all getting picked top 5 I am very confident.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Are there betting odds on the draft?
There will be, not for another few weeks or so. Good place to make a killing with certain guys that are undervalued. I've used Bet365 the past few years.

Not sure I'd take a Buium top 5 odds, his O/U will probably be set at 6.5 or 7.5 I'd imagine, but will be hammering the Sennecke and Solberg draft slot over/unders early with a lot

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
There will be, not for another few weeks or so. Good place to make a killing with certain guys that are undervalued. I've used Bet365 the past few years.

Not sure I'd take a Buium top 5 odds, his O/U will probably be set at 6.5 or 7.5 I'd imagine, but will be hammering the Sennecke and Solberg draft slot over/unders early with a lot
As in Sennecke/Solberg to be drafted ahead of predicted?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah well that could be the thing with always drafting bpa. You could end up with no RHD in the organization.
Every individual has biases on what they value or not. BPA is in the eye of the beholder. BPA would differ past Celebrini for teams as well.
Pronman and Wheeler like who they like. In the case of Greentree ; 25 is a fair bit below where we normally see him ; Vanacker is a more debatable pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad