GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Talk - Picked 2nd, 18th, 27th, 67th, 72nd, 92nd, 138th, & 163rd Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I wouldn't be mad if they would have stayed put at 20 and 34 and got the same guys.

I feel like they punted on 54 and 61 for no reason.

I'm bummed they didn't double down on another RHD with #27

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pez68 and Malaka

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks might've been trying to pull the ole CJ Stroud/Will Anderson and send CBJ a pick that ends up in the 8-12 range next year if they didn't spend a lot of money to improve the roster...very much a fired for sure if it doesn't work out move

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Absolutely.
Why? Esierman has walhstrom all over him, ironic the Isles are double dipping here. Did you want Wahlstrom that year, inwas a total no on him when many here wanted him.

(Always say I wasn't buying the Hughes hype though which was my mistake)

Cole dropped rightly for being a 1skill guy and had higher numbers because he had the benefit of playing with our future #1 pick next year Hagens.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Hawks might've been trying to pull the ole CJ Stroud/Will Anderson and send CBJ a pick that ends up in the 8-12 range next year if they didn't spend a lot of money to improve the roster...very much a fired for sure if it doesn't work out move
If they pulled off that trade, yeah they would've gone HARD in free agency.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
You clearly don't travel enough
Quick Brave browser AI query revealed:

"Based on these statistics, it appears that around 11-23% of Americans have never traveled outside their state, and around 40-63% have never left the country."

Source: Percentage of americans who travel outside their state

So there's a 1/4 chance most American users haven't left their birth state, and 1/2 chance American users haven't stepped foot outside the US.

Decent odds to back up your wager. My personal experience made me LOL at that user and similar "Chicago is le bad" type takes. Even in Illinois, I'd take Chicago over Joliet. Outside of Illinois, I'd take Chicago over Pensacola or Baton Rouge. On terms of states I'd take Illinois over New Mexico or southern Arizona and Texas. I won't even mention other non-North American countries that I've been to.

Chicago is perfectly fine. You just have to have a world view that's wider than a razor slit.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
If there's a guy they like in the mid-2nd round (like say in the 50s) do you think 67+72 would be enough to move up?

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Can't deny a little disappointment as I would probably have gone different directions with each of the picks. Not that I don't like the players, but I would have been more excited with others.

Was a big fan of Demidov all season obviously. I love Levshunov though so this one doesn't sting all that bad.

Boisvert has some really eye-catching traits. I don't see him as some can't-skate-doesnt-give-a-damn player at all (the fact that this regime picked him should also point in that direction). Would have preferred Hage or Eiserman though as they have higher upsides with fewer questions imo. But Nodak is a good program for a kid like Boisvert to go and learn to round out his game. He could be a really useful player even if he's probably not a star.

Vanacker I know relatively little about. I like what I've read and it'll be cool to see what he can do if he's healthy next year. I am kind of partial to Chernyshov and he was still on the board and I don't like the asset management angle to this move. But it's hard to get too precious about that with how many picks this team has made (and still has to make in the next couple of years)

I'd give the day like a B- or C+. A bit of a let down but not a franchise-crushing disaster or anything.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
If you piece together a few pieces of information:

75-90% of free agents have their destinations.

Columbus didn’t take a hawks unprotected 1st plus more (!) for 4 OA.

I think a reasonable person could conclude there’s some reason for optimism going in to FA.

Also the Demidov guys I mean, Davidson offering our unprotected 1st is a hell of an offer to get him. We tried to end up with both.

Reactions: Muffinalt

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
gonna be real, if Demidov didn't exist or the Hawks picked 3 and Demidov was off the board, I'd be thrilled with Lev.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Quick Brave browser AI query revealed:

"Based on these statistics, it appears that around 11-23% of Americans have never traveled outside their state, and around 40-63% have never left the country."

Source: Percentage of americans who travel outside their state

So there's a 1/4 chance most American users haven't left their birth state, and 1/2 chance American users haven't stepped foot outside the US.

Decent odds to back up your wager. My personal experience made me LOL at that user and similar "Chicago is le bad" type takes. Even in Illinois, I'd take Chicago over Joliet. Outside of Illinois, I'd take Chicago over Pensacola or Baton Rouge. On terms of states I'd take Illinois over New Mexico or southern Arizona and Texas. I won't even mention other non-North American countries that I've been to.

Chicago is perfectly fine. You just have to have a world view that's wider than a razor slit.
Chicago isn't even the worst in violent crime per capita in its own state. Rockford and Peoria are both worse, as is I believe East St. Louis, IL. Chicago also doesn't even crack the top 50 cities(or might even be 100) for violent crimes per capita in the US. The whole "Chicago warzone" nonsense is 100% pushed by the media, and then perpetuated by people who have never even been here.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
Chicago isn't even the worst in violent crime per capita in its own state. Rockford and Peoria are both worse. Chicago also doesn't even crack the top 50 cities(or might even be 100) for violent crimes per capita in the US. The whole "Chicago warzone" nonsense is 100% pushed by the media, and then perpetuated by people who have never even been here.
Hence my post. Chicago is fine, there's so many worse places to be. Chicago is a huge city. Like seriously huge. Suburbanites don't realize how big it is despite living on its outskirts. Just avoid like 4 or 5 neighborhoods where all the crime is consolidated and you'll never ever have a problem. Yet Chicago suburbanites, who live at the edges yet never venture in because "muh crime statistics" have no idea what Chicago (with the exception of neighborhoods you can count on one hand) is like. It's all "Chicago is le bad lol XD amirite?"

Seriously, Chicago is fine.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hence my post. Chicago is fine, there's so many worse places to be. Chicago is a huge city. Like seriously huge. Suburbanites don't realize how big it is despite living on its outskirts. Just avoid like 4 or 5 neighborhoods where all the crime is consolidated and you'll never ever have a problem.
:thumbu:

AD(the poster who made the claims) is also in Texas, if I'm remembering right. Where Dallas, Amarillo, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Lubbock, Houston, and Beaumont all clock in with similar or higher violent crime per capita than Chicago. And Only Dallas, Amarillo, and San Antonio are around the same as Chicago(virtually identical, actually). The rest of those are WAY higher than Chicago.

Big cities have a TON of people, which means there will be more crime, but as you said, most the crime is consolidated to specific neighborhoods/areas that are easy to avoid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez68 and Mrfenn92

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
:thumbu:

AD(the poster who made the claims) is also in Texas, if I'm remembering right. Where Dallas, Amarillo, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Lubbock, Houston, and Beaumont all clock in with similar or higher violent crime per capita than Chicago. And Only Dallas, Amarillo, and San Antonio are around the same as Chicago(virtually identical, actually). The rest of those are WAY higher than Chicago.

Big cities have a TON of people, which means there will be more crime, but as you said, most the crime is consolidated to specific neighborhoods/areas that are easy to avoid.
And none of those cities have the equivalent and density of museums, the festivals, the street vendors, the restaurants, the aquarium, the planetarium, the pier, the shopping, the dining, the movie/tv production, the incredible universities, or anything that even holds a candle to anything that Chicago has. Their opinion = discarded.

Give me Chicago all day over the majority of elsewhere. It's not without its problems, don't get me wrong. But the problems are super easy to avoid, and everything else is stellar.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I will say Davidson is light years better than Flyers braintrust

Also, Drysdale shoulder is shot and he was awful for Flyers (And was struggling so much Ducks gleefully moved him at first chance)

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I don’t understand how there are so many fans here defending our 1st round and bashing those who are upset with the selections.

We passed on Demidov(in itself bad enough, you ALWAYS take the best available talent regardless of position of need when it’s this high of a pick) and then were gifted a chance at some redemption with Eiserman at #18(cant believe he was still available there…) only to then pass on him too….for someone underwhelming none the less. Did we even need to trade up to 18 to get this guy??

Look I’m all for trying to be positive and patient with the rebuild process and who knows what’s going to happen in the years to come….but there’s no way you can POSSIBLY sit there right now and tell me the Hawks/KD had a good 1st round. And what amplifies this is how important this draft was/is to our organization at this particular point in time.

We can’t be passing up on talents like Demidov at #2 and Eiserman(at #18?!?!?!?) and then think we’re doing our very best to build a contender around Bedard. Just one miss of that caliber is bad enough for a single first round. To have multiple misses(in terms of passing on best available talent) like that in one 1st round is abysmal IMO. We need to be MUCH better in the upcoming rounds and the next 2-3 drafts after this one. Hopefully the overall strength in #s and the sheer volume of 1sts and 2nds accumulated by the 26/27 season will be enough to make up for this years 1st round setback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad