GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Talk - Picked 2nd, 18th, 27th, 67th, 72nd, 92nd, 138th, & 163rd Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I tend to think Hagens is pretty good, better than Demidov..but also makes me think they might be chasing some guys in UFA if they would be willing to do that.
RIght. If they're willing to do something along those lines, makes me think they had a big name FA or two in their crosshairs.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I tend to think Hagens is pretty good, better than Demidov..but also makes me think they might be chasing some guys in UFA if they would be willing to do that.

Certainly hope not. This team needs more NHL bodies but they don't need to take some crazy step next year. Getting Demidov and Levshunov would have been amazing but I think that trade is one that puts undo pressure on the team to perform and on management to ensure they perform that they're not ready for yet.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Certainly hope not. This team needs more NHL bodies but they don't need to take some crazy step next year. Getting Demidov and Levshunov would have been amazing but I think that trade is one that puts undo pressure on the team to perform and on management to ensure they perform that they're not ready for yet.
Is it about a crazy step, or has Davidson correctly identified that Bedard needs legitimate help, something we’ve been screaming about here all season?

The don’t need to be a playoff team next year and they obviously won’t be close to that. But Kyle has probably decided one season is enough of playing third line scrubs on the first line. Hopefully that leads to less blowouts over the season, better efforts, and an ability to score more than 1 goal a game.

Reactions: hockeydoug

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Is it about a crazy step, or has Davidson correctly identified that Bedard needs legitimate help, something we’ve been screaming about here all season?

The don’t need to be a playoff team next year and they obviously won’t be close to that. But Kyle has probably decided one season is enough of playing third line scrubs on the first line. Hopefully that leads to less blowouts over the season, better efforts, and an ability to score more than 1 goal a game.

Bedard does need help. Who are you going to get that isn't going to get some stupid FA contract with term?

Reactions: belfour30

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Bedard does need help. Who are you going to get that isn't going to get some stupid FA contract with term?
You’re very concerned with term. But the cap is expected to go up 8 million over the next two years. We will not be struggling for cap space anytime soon. In fact, we’re struggling to get to the floor right now. And we will be next year when Hall, AA and Donato come off and Murphy is potentially traded.

And then even more come off the year after that. We can more than afford to sign a Teravainen, or a Domi or whoever. It’s probably necessary just to meet the cap floor. Whoever we sign, even if it comes with term, will not screw up the Hawks cap structure at all.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
You’re very concerned with term. But the cap is expected to go up 8 million over the next two years. We will not be struggling for cap space anytime soon. In fact, we’re struggling to get to the floor right now. And we will be next year when Hall, AA and Donato come off and Murphy is potentially traded.

And then even more come off the year after that. We can more than afford to sign a Teravainen, or a Domi or whoever. It’s probably necessary just to meet the cap floor. Whoever we sign, even if it comes with term, will not screw up the Hawks cap structure at all.
we've been hearing about the cap going up a lot since the toews and kane extensions...shouldn't blindly bank on it

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

I am concerned with term, way more than I am with money. Because most of the players on the FA market are approaching 30 and want term and a payday. Why would you want an anchor that you're going to have to pay to trade away in 3-4 years when the competitive window actually opens?

If we can sign Teravainen to a 3-year deal, amazing. Love it. Do it. Will he sign for 3 years?

Domi is the kind of guy you sign for 4-years and then you're paying to move him out in year 3/4 of that deal after he's pushed out of the lineup.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
we've been hearing about the cap going up a lot since the toews and kane extensions...shouldn't blindly bank on it
Unless another pandemic or a world war breaks out, the cap will go up as projected. They called this year would go up by 4 million two years in advance and it did. Like yes the Hawks got screwed that time but it’s not happening again.

I am concerned with term, way more than I am with money. Because most of the players on the FA market are approaching 30 and want term and a payday. Why would you want an anchor that you're going to have to pay to trade away in 3-4 years when the competitive window actually opens?

If we can sign Teravainen to a 3-year deal, amazing. Love it. Do it. Will he sign for 3 years?

Domi is the kind of guy you sign for 4-years and then you're paying to move him out in year 3/4 of that deal after he's pushed out of the lineup.
Do you think players just die at 34 years old? And Max is 29, he’d be 33 at the end of his deal, that’s literally not an issue at all and we certainly wouldn’t have to pay to move him, we wouldn’t have enough young players expiring on ELCs to where we have no cap room.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Boisvert is the problem.

You know who was available at 18?

The players that were ranked 14, 15, 18, 19, and 21.

We picked 22. Which is a generous ranking for Boisvert to begin with.
14th and 15th were Eiserman and Connolly. Would you honestly have preferred either of them?

Reactions: Pez68

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Unless another pandemic or a world war breaks out, the cap will go up as projected. They called this year would go up by 4 million two years in advance and it did. Like yes the Hawks got screwed that time but it’s not happening again.

Do you think players just die at 34 years old? And Max is 29, he’d be 33 at the end of his deal, that’s literally not an issue at all and we certainly wouldn’t have to pay to move him, we wouldn’t have enough young players expiring on ELCs to where we have no cap room.

I don't think they die. I think depth guys like Domi get pushed out of lineups faster than ever and at 32, with the amount of players CHI has coming up in the pipeline, I think it's really likely that he'd be moved before the deal ends and that the Hawks probably need to add to move him. So what's really the point? Overpay in the short-term, that's fine. Avoid term.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

wasn't it more the fact that the canadian economy is so tied to oil is the reason that the cap stagnated?

Reactions: Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad