GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Talk - Picked 2nd, 18th, 27th, 67th, 72nd, 92nd, 138th, & 163rd Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I find Davidsons blatant disrespect for 2nd round picks interesting lol. They are change in the couches to him, and honestly… I’m not sure that’s not what they deserve. Second round is generally a pretty overrated place to find NHLers when you look into it.
Massive talent drop-off this draft makes the 2nds more expendable, IMO. And yeah, generally they have like a 25% chance to make the NHL. One in four makes it and actually sticks.

Reactions: Pez68

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I find Davidsons blatant disrespect for 2nd round picks interesting lol. They are change in the couches to him, and honestly… I’m not sure that’s not what they deserve. Second round is generally a pretty overrated place to find NHLers when you look into it.

I mean, the Hawks made 5 2nd round picks in the prior two drafts. I think there's value in them but certainly seems like Davidson wanted to move up this year, once to get in a better range and once for a specific player.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
13 to 12 was worth a 3rd to philly, 20 to 18 would've been worth a 3rd if davidson waited until today because you have a direct comp, instead he paid a 2nd for whatever reason
Yea I’m not going to defend him on that one. The only rationale I can think of is that he made that trade to try to up that picks trade value for a player. Necas or McGroarty or whoever. Was always a weird move.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I was really hoping for Ivan but it was inevitable. Hopefully, Levshunov can be what KD envisions. Last two picks kind of unsurpsing tbh. Wing talent still desperately needed.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
It does kinda suck to be out of the 2nd round right now from an entertainment standpoint. First time in awhile I’ll be able to watch day 2

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
for a team that claims to have built out a really good analytics dept they either know something everyone else doesnt about 2nd round picks or they're too aggressive in trade ups and throwing them away, i just don't know how 34 to 27 is worth an entire pick with nothing coming back...like you get a 3rd back or something

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Overall a fine 1st day. I don’t like that we don’t have 50 anymore, and I’m not sure that the difference between someone like Basha and Vanecker is really worth a whole player.

I preferred Demidov and Hage, for the record. But I’m not like kicking and screaming. We’ll see how it plays out.
Absolutely.

People making proclamation about 18 years olds on draft night is beyond over-the-top. Sure, I want all the Hawks draft picks be as easy as Bedard but that is not possible. Outside of Macklin, all the other prospects have serious ??? to work out.

I am also perfectly fine with how the 1st went for the Hawks. If for nothing else the Hawks are collecting tradeable propects.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
They had that elite F sitting there this year (Demidov or Iggy's kid)

This management group has shown no ability to draft high quality talent and will require another #1 pick to prevent mistake from happening
A little bit early to make that proclamation bud. Crack open a PBR and take a Xanax and chill the f*** out.

I had players I wanted them to take as well but we won’t know the results of this draft for a few years at least.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
They had that elite F sitting there this year (Demidov or Iggy's kid)

This management group has shown no ability to draft high quality talent and will require another #1 pick to prevent mistake from happening

This management group's oldest drafted prospect of note is 20 years old. How are you so obsessed with embarrassing yourself?

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
'we want to speed it up'...so they're not high on next year class relative to this one, good to know

I think it's more that they really liked both Demidov and Levshunov and if you think Demidov is in the same tier as a prospect as some of the forwards available at the top of the draft next year, it'd be worth the risk.

It would certainly have put, IMO, undue pressure on the team to ensure next year isn't another lottery pick year. They must have really liked Demidov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad