2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Next 3: Sennecke, Helenius and MBN.
Personally, I don’t think it’s a good idea to take a dman with knee injury history. Isn’t that what happened to Cuma?

I’m not super thrilled with Helenius either.

I say we explore trading Gus, Heidt, 2024 1st, 2025 2nd, to see how far that can get us up the draft board.
I don’t think they will trade Heidt until he at least gets some games in the NHL.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I say we explore trading Gus, Heidt, 2024 1st, 2025 2nd, to see how far that can get us up the draft board.
To what end? That doesn’t get you first overall, and there isn’t even a consensus number 2, let alone top 10 that would make it a strong value proposition. Anywhere 2-15+ you are getting a high potential player with significant question marks this year.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Personally, I don’t think it’s a good idea to take a dman with knee injury history. Isn’t that what happened to Cuma?

I’m not super thrilled with Helenius either.

I don’t think they will trade Heidt until he at least gets some games in the NHL.
Totally get it. Just thought he’d be worth some value in this hypothetical.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
To what end? That doesn’t get you first overall, and there isn’t even a consensus number 2, let alone top 10 that would make it a strong value proposition. Anywhere 2-15+ you are getting a high potential player with significant question marks this year.
Gus has no future here. We can trade the picks; I’m just curious how far that would get us. I wouldn’t mind getting Buium/Dickinson if they’re on the board.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

pick value: 13ov + mid/late 2nd (Gus), late 2nd (Heidt*), and a mid 2nd (next year). Gus only adds value to a few teams ahead of MN that need a goalie with NJD being the only one that really needs a goalie unless they make other moves.

* He only has the value of the late 2nd where he was drafted last year. He had a nice D+1 season so he didn't lose value (like Stramel did), but without being in the NHL it's hard to raise the value much past that. He was at a 1.42 ppg in his draft year and teams passed on him them. Adding another .35 ppg (20p) in his D+1 year is about what's expected.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sennecke is tempting as hell. He is obviously a work in progress, but has great hands, and really good size once he fills out a bit. His skating is a bit clumsy, but again, i think that will be fixed with time, working on technique, and strength. Still isn't bad, though. He will need at least two years. One in the OHL, another in the AHL, before he is ready.

The hands and moves are all there. In some ways he play like a little, shifty guy, but he is at least 6'2" (looks taller than Ritchie, to me. Mckeen's has him at 6'3"), and will probably end up 6'4", as he appears to be less on the mature side physically. Apparently he has grown 5" in the past two years... that's a lot.

Lotta upside. Maybe a taller, less polished Boldy, with potentially better speed?

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
If Montreal doesn't get Lindstrom at #5, I could see them trading the pick as they are pretty loaded on D. Maybe the Wild can do something with the Habs.
That’s what I was thinking. They could maybe use a goalie? Not sure if he’s an upgrade though..

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I'm sure Eiserman would be a blast to watch, but I feel like we'd all be bitching about everything else he does that isn't scoring goals.

It's hard to get 'We need good centers' out of my head. Kind of been beat into my brain for...well, the teams inception.

So, I'm kind of hoping for Helenius or Catton somehow gets far down enough for them to snag.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
There is certainly a consensus 2/3

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I'm sure Eiserman would be a blast to watch, but I feel like we'd all be bitching about everything else he does that isn't scoring goals.

It's hard to get 'We need good centers' out of my head. Kind of been beat into my brain for...well, the teams inception.

So, I'm kind of hoping for Helenius or Catton somehow gets far down enough for them to snag.

It's normally true, and very efficient use of picks. That said, for young players, we now have Rossi, Yurov, Heidt, Bankier, Khusnutidov, Kumpulainen, Stramel, Haight (likely be wing though). Even Ohgren can take a face off or two.

I think the Wild prospect pool is no longer at the point where it's completely starved of talent but at the point where is somewhat deep and it's time to reinforce some of the weaknesses, like defense and goal scoring.

I'm going to watch more of Eiserman. I don't like the idea of picking prospects who fall due to skill-related reasons, but he was considered a top 3 pick even till midway this season. And getting that level of goal scoring skill at 13 in a draft I've been vocally unenthused about, that would be interesting...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There is certainly a consensus 2/3
Really? I don't think so.

In general, let's go BPA. I want the best hockey player, no matter what the position, though obviously you weight RHD over LHD (for us), Center above wing, RHS over LHS, and size, all things being equal.

I see that Lindstrom is ranked way higher than Catton, even though the latter had a significantly better year. I get it, but don't know that I agree with it. There are other examples where size is valued over skill in this draft, like Levshunov over Buium, Silayev over a lot of players(though he was playing the best league against men).

Oh well, we'll sort it out in @Digitalbooya 's poll.

Last edited:

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I'd say we pick Miroslav Satan just for the hell of it. He's one big devil, a 6'7" defenseman.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
My current draft tiers:

Celebrini
-----------
Demidov
-----------
Levshunov
Dickinson
Catton
Buium
----------
Helenius
Lindstrom
Salayev
Yakemchuk
Parekh
Iginla
Hage (edit: moved up from Tier 6)
----------
Eiserman
----------
Greentree
Sennecke
MBN
Chernyshov (edit: added)
----------
Connelly (edit: moved down from Tier 6)
Jiricek
Parascak
Boisvert (edit: added)

Not ranked within tiers. If the top 12 goes as is, I wouldn't be opposed to trading down 1-4 spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: keppel146

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Really? I don't think so.

In general, let's go BPA. I want the best hockey player, no matter what the position, though obviously you weight RHD over LHD (for us), Center above wing, RHS over LHS, and size, all things being equal.

I see that Lindstrom is ranked way higher than Catton, even though the latter had a significantly better year. I get it, but don't know that I agree with it. There are other examples where size is valued over skill in this draft, like Levshunov over Buium, Silayev over a lot of players(though he was playing the best league against men).

Oh well, we'll sort it out in @Digitalbooya 's poll.
I will be shocked if Demidov/Levshunov don’t go 2 and 3.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I will be shocked if Demidov/Levshunov don’t go 2 and 3.
Russian/Belarus players..hmm..not too sure about that. Seems to me it's kinda hard to get them over to NA these days. Lev is already there, so he might be the #2. Don't know anything about him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad