GDT: 2024 NHL Draft GDT | [EDM/PHI] FLA 1st '24 (32nd Overall) <---> cond. Edm 1st ('25 unless Top-12, then slides to '26)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The bolded is really why I don't really feel much either way and don't know how anyone could be excited or disappointed here. They have a ton of late picks, most amount to nothing. O'Reilly and Vinni seem promising
It’s true. Don’t like the scouts current method of pushing for overagers late in the draft as it points to a flawed methodology period, but at the end of the day the likelihood of any of those pics ever being anything was low to begin with.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The bolded is really why I don't really feel much either way and don't know how anyone could be excited or disappointed here. They have a ton of late picks, most amount to nothing. O'Reilly and Vinni seem promising

Exactly, I used to follow the draft super closely years ago but this is the least I’ve followed prospects heading into the draft.

That’s why I put that caveat in the message, I simply didn’t care enough nor have the time to do deep dives on prospects this year.

Some good qualities with O’Reilly from what I’ve read and I’ll watch some tape on him when I have chance.

Of course I hope some of these guys pan out but on paper not a lot to be optimistic about. Again, lots of late picks but hard to get excited about late round overagers with underwhelming stats for overagers.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm trying not to be mad at this draft because I don't know these players very well but it doesn't look great at first look.
It was good. Other than the coke machine, the rest were great. O'Reilly and Nicholl both fell to us thankfully. Vinni was a great pick too. Berry may be on the same development route as Max Wanner

Exactly, I used to follow the draft super closely years ago but this is the least I’ve followed prospects heading into the draft.

That’s why I put that caveat in the message, I simply didn’t care enough nor have the time to do deep dives on prospects this year.

Some good qualities with O’Reilly from what I’ve read and I’ll watch some tape on him when I have chance.

Of course I hope some of these guys pan out but on paper not a lot to be optimistic about. Again, lots of late picks but hard to get excited about late round overagers with underwhelming stats for overagers.
WIlliam Nicholl and Bauer Berry. Those late picks by us were fantastic

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IMG_5114.jpeg

Draft summary.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
That's an interesting take. I really liked the O'Reilly pick. The others, not so much. Clattenburg is definitely an odd choice at that spot. He almost seems like a guy you could just sign as an overage FA.

Like the Wakely pick, no idea about the rest of them. Pretty mixed for Pracey's first go at it as director of amateur scouting but to be fair they had little to work with given where the team is at.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I wouldn't mind signing Ruslan Gazizov as an UDFA.

Surprised he didn't at least get picked with something late. He played on the second line in London with O'Reilly quite a bit. He'd be an injection of skill for Bako next year.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all to increase the number of comrades in Bakersfield, make it a softer landing spot when courting Beryozkin and Yevseyev.

Reactions: McDNicks17

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

From watching the interview, I have more confidence in Pracey than Wright but that’s not really saying much in a vaccuum.

Time will tell on the draft. I think grading a draft or doing a winners/losers is a waste of time.

The first two picks seem fine and the rest is who knows. Which I guess makes some sense because 5 picks after round 5 isn’t all that likely to pay off. Does seem like the organization in generally love their overagers and it hasn’t really seemed to be working. Least we didn’t have any picks like previous years which were really obscure.

Overall though, can’t say I feel all that confident about Praceys first draft. Like always, I would love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
One of the drafts of all time.

Most prospect people are giving this class a C grade and I think that's about right.

O'Reilly, Vinni, and Wakely good picks.
Sundin and Nicholl decent picks.
This is the first time I have ever heard Bauer Berry's name in any capacity whatsoever so I'll say decent there too.

Clattenburg is the complete head scratcher. It's a 5th, so whatever, but I really can't see how anyone else would be tripping over themselves to draft a 19 year old forward with 29 points in 60 games.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sucks not being able to see video on a lot of these later round picks. Oh well, I love the O Reilly pick. So if Pracey brings the heat in later rounds like round 1, I’m happy.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Why so many overagers? It'd be one thing if they were productive overagers at least but two of them can't buy a goal.

As for the Sam O'Reilly thing, I'm actually of the opinion that it's okay to use 1st round draft picks yourself as a contender b/c the first round pick in question could potentially develop and be far more valuable than a generic 1st round pick come deadline time. I don't know enough about the player himself to comment on whether this will be the case for him tho. Hopefully Pracey isn't the next Stu McGregor/Tyler Wright, let's just put it that way.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I wouldn't mind signing Ruslan Gazizov as an UDFA.

Surprised he didn't at least get picked with something late. He played on the second line in London with O'Reilly quite a bit. He'd be an injection of skill for Bako next year.
from the highlight reel I concur, took for granted he was already drafted

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

If that is true then he reached the expiration date right on schedule. 3 years seems to be his best before date. Hopefully we can move him and Campbell out creating 10M in cap space. If they can do that before the free agency deadline give JJ the keys to the city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad