GDT: 2024 NHL Draft GDT | [EDM/PHI] FLA 1st '24 (32nd Overall) <---> cond. Edm 1st ('25 unless Top-12, then slides to '26)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I would think that the Oilers can’t trade their 2025 or 2026 1st rounder at the deadline next year because both are already part of conditions of this trade b
Yeh that's what I would think too. Like it puts a lock on those assets. But I haven't seen confirmation yet.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well couldn’t they always trade a conditional 26-27? Whichever one is still available next July?
Yeh I guess. Just a 26 first is worth less than a 25 first. But also, if something good comes up we could also still trade Sam O Reilly ala Reid Schaeffer.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
But of course you would say something like that, after precious little to say all of last season and deep playoff run

I enjoyed the ride but I was not getting my hopes up. We went only as far as McDavid took us. With both him and Leon injured? Too many people around here were crushed by the loss--I like the ride but something killed me this season..

Next season will be interesting to see what changes happen. The fact we going in with the same goaltenders slighly concerns me. We need to use Pickard more then we did this season. Skinner can only handle about 40 to 45 starts a year but that is a growing trend for starters

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I really have only one whinge about this trade. The pick was 32 in a draft that is not considered that deep. We do not know where the 1st rounder we traded for him will be but the fact it is just top 12 protected is annoying. Unless we win the cup we are looking at trading say 25th overall for a 32 pick? This just frustrates me. Next draft is projected to be deeper. No idea about 2026

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hmm Pracey pretty much laid out his whole plan on Gregor's show:

"...we also need to sorta get players that we think might be sorta undervalued or efficient or perhaps we like them better than the industry evaluation... so we can identify those players and create situations where were looking at trade scenarios if players fall in certain areas of the draft"

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I enjoyed the ride but I was not getting my hopes up. We went only as far as McDavid took us. With both him and Leon injured? Too many people around here were crushed by the loss--I like the ride but something killed me this season..

Next season will be interesting to see what changes happen. The fact we going in with the same goaltenders slighly concerns me. We need to use Pickard more than we did this season. Skinner can only handle about 40 to 45 starts a year but that is a growing trend for starters
Too many people on a board specifically for Oilers fans were bummed when we lost the cup by a goal after mounting a historic comeback?

Maybe this just isn’t the place for you.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pracey's process sounds thorough as f***.

Also like that he realizes that drafting for need can be dangerous. I've always liked BPA over Need, doesn't matter what round you are drafting in. Just take the BPA.

Reactions: McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I really have only one whinge about this trade. The pick was 32 in a draft that is not considered that deep. We do not know where the 1st rounder we traded for him will be but the fact it is just top 12 protected is annoying. Unless we win the cup we are looking at trading say 25th overall for a 32 pick? This just frustrates me. Next draft is projected to be deeper. No idea about 2026
Sure. But think about it like this. The trade doesn't get made UNLESS the player they liked was there. So coming into the draft whether it's weak or not weak becomes irrelevant when you know the exact guy you want and get him.

We have a good idea how competitive we will be in the future. Decent bet to make. We have no idea if we will like any players in 25 or 26 as much as we like Sam now.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Next season will be interesting to see what changes happen. The fact we going in with the same goaltenders slighly concerns me. We need to use Pickard more then we did this season. Skinner can only handle about 40 to 45 starts a year but that is a growing trend for starters

Sounds like someone that didn't really watch the games. I understand if that's the case given the time zone difference. McDavid was sublime and deserved the Smythe, but it was a team effort to get there. Godly PK, timely depth scoring, Bouchard producing at a HOF level were all major contributing factors. They ran out of gas having to push the entire season and coming back in 3 of 4 series. I don't know how anyone can feel that one player carries a team deep in the playoffs anymore. (Maybe a goalie at times, but even otherworldly goalie performances don't win Cups on their own.) This isn't the NBA.

Skinner isn't going anywhere and Pickard as a depth option was a solid bet. It doesn't mean they can't pick up another option to compete for the #2 spot. Nurse - Ceci were a bigger issue than Skinner was, outside of his headcase issues vs Van at least. Skinner was great in the other series.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I would think that the Oilers can’t trade their 2025 or 2026 1st rounder at the deadline next year because both are already part of conditions of this trade b
They could trade a conditional 2025 or 2026 first, with the condition that the other team gets our 2025 first if it doesn't go to Philly, or our 2026 first if the 2025 does go to Philly.

The problem is the condition, as I saw it was that Philly gets our 2025 first unless it is in the top 12, in which case it goes to 2026. Two main issues:

(i) Unless something catastrophic happens, we're not picking in the top 12. For all intents and purposes, Philly has our top 12;

(ii) If for some reason something catastrophic DID happen, there's no way we would want to give up that first rounder. We're not giving up a potential top 12 pick next year in any deal.

To me it pretty much means the 2025 pick is off the table.

Reactions: nabob

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In general, they could trade the 2026 pick but it would usually be conditional on the Oilers owning the pick. Moreover, by next years deadline it should be clear that the the 2025 pick will not be top 12 so even if it is conditional the team getting the pick will know that the conditions are pretty much moot. At least that had better be the case otherwise the team has bigger problems than this issue. And the condition on this pick is actually a bit unusual in that it actually permits the Oilers to trade the 2026 pick without conditions. In that case, the Flyers get the 2025 pick automatically.

(See post 186: This is better presentation of my argument. )

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The difference between a #32 in one draft and a #25 in another is pretty much negligible in the abstract, even if one draft is viewed as deeper. In this case the added value comes from the fact that the player you pick as an extra development year under his belt. And I suspect that the Oilers see O'Reilly as being even more mature than a typical very late first rounder. This is important because they will probably need cheap internal options sooner than later.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Basically all depends on how he develops that Willis tweet in his stats at evens compared to Cowan is intriguing so I kind of like it. 2026 pick still free to trade. Basically if we had him in the teens we hypothetically got value compared to 26-32 pick next year. Lost some value in deadline flexibility if he doesn’t develop. Then the f he isn’t traded gained a year of development and hopefully he is a cheap serviceable player that takes cap pressure away in 2 years compared to a guy selected next year even same player 2 years away we bough ourselves a year development

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
That's the one red flag I also have on this deal. I have a buddy who was scout for the Ducks and his first draft he couldn't believe that when they were picking in the 100s that they still had players ranked in the 30s on their list. He wanted to trade up and get them. Then by year 3 he realized that this happens every draft. I worry this is a rookie GM getting affected by the same thing.
If not, then I like the idea of being aggressive and jumping to get your guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00