GDT: 2024 NHL Draft GDT | [EDM/PHI] FLA 1st '24 (32nd Overall) <---> cond. Edm 1st ('25 unless Top-12, then slides to '26)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Fine by me.

I find it funny that people are bitching that we lost another first round pick in 25 or 26 to get a first round pick this year. What's the f***ing difference, we drafted someone in the first round.

Trade chip for the deadline next year for a rental? Can't do that forever and I think what the Oilers did was much more beneficial as our prospect pool was getting thin.
Those conditions are worse. Now we don’t have our first next year, in a deep draft, to use at the deadline.

Agreed, really hard, and it's basically been two seasons

But in the middle of it, at camp, he showed he was physically mature, and able to skate and think quick enough to play pro, so in a perfect world he goes directly to the AHL to develop anyways.

Lots of drafted prospects are worse off by going back to junior imo, Nurse is the poster boy.
For sure but missing that year can end a prospects chances. Not saying it will but it’s absolutely awful.

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
Those conditions are worse. Now we don’t have our first next year, in a deep draft, to use at the deadline.
Can't keep on trading our first at the deadline for a rental and there's time where those rentals don't pan out.

Addition: Why are we worried about next year's trade deadline in June?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Wait. So what if we trade the 25 first? Are we still allowed to?
Nope. We cannot trade either pick now.

Can't keep on trading our first at the deadline for a rental and there's time where those rentals don't pan out.
Okay but now we don’t have the option. Our next 2 picks are locked into this single prospect. It’s an absolutely baffling move that literally hurts our cup chances. I’d be pissed if I was our new GM. This kid has to be secretly incredible for this to make sense at all.

Addition: Why are we worried about next year's trade deadline in June?
Because we are in our cup window? Why wouldn’t I be thinking of the deadline?

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
He used to be a defenseman until the age of 15. It's definitely an interesting pick. It's a risky move if you ask me. Hopefully it works out.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
so we could be--this is just me being VERY sarcastic...looking at trading a number 13th overall pick for a 32 over all pick? Just saying.

If we miss the playoffs next year? God have mercy on the souls of the mods on this board

But of course you would say something like that, after precious little to say all of last season and deep playoff run

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
so we could be--this is just me being VERY sarcastic...looking at trading a number 13th overall pick for a 32 over all pick? Just saying.

If we miss the playoffs next year? God have mercy on the souls of the mods on this board
Not just that. We now can’t use our next 2 firsts at all for any trades or anything. It hampers this teams ability to make moves for the next year. Apparently we can trade our 26 pick at any time. Either way. It doesn’t feel like a smart move. For JJs sake this kid has to explode this year.

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
Not just that. We now can’t use our next 2 firsts at all for any trades or anything. It hampers this teams ability to make moves for the next year. Apparently we can trade our 26 pick at any time. Either way. It doesn’t feel like a smart move. For JJs sake this kid has to explode this year.
Did you see the post I had w/ what Lebrun said? We can still use or 2026 pick at the deadline.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Yeah I don’t get this trade at all. Nothing against the player, but now we can’t trade at the trade deadline next year. Very strange
I wouldn’t say this is true. If O’Reilly continues developing well, teams may view him as more valuable than a 1st round pick at the TDL.

We’ve seen Reid Schafer traded in lieu of a 1st

Reactions: TB12 and McDoused

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
The trade makes sense if the Oilers really believed in the player. There doesn't have to more to it. If he's in your top 20 you got to make it happen.

5 years we could be wondering how he slid. Still seems risky for magic beans but who knows really.

The way I look at it, if Sam O'Reilly scores like 90 points in 60 games next year, and he was relied on heavily as their defensive star player, that 32 overall pick becomes more like a Top 10-15 pick. So you just got MORE VALUE than keeping the 2025 pick, which IMO would be lower value. And I feel the Oilers were banking on it too.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I think some people don’t get that this is kind of just kicking our lack of first round pick down the road….

In the NBA they are trading firsts to 2030.

Why can we not just keep doing this sort of move in perpetuity ? Someone will always take the pick, and we can just mortgage the future. Once McDrai is gone who cares anyways

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
So we have no draft capital to trade at next years TDL..we'll, hopefully this 18 year old kid gets us closer to a cup...
Well they can always trade future picks.

But I do think this puts more pressure on JJ to put together a more complete team this offseason. Cant rely on next year’s TDL to fill a lot of holes

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Well they can always trade future picks.

But I do think this puts more pressure on JJ to put together a more complete team this offseason. Cant rely on next year’s TDL to fill a lot of holes
From my understanding having a condition of a potential slide into 2026 now ties both 2025 and 2026 1st round picks up until mathematically impossible...a 2027 1st isn't going to hold any real value

• Wow
Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad