GDT: 2024 NHL Draft - (1st Round - 6/28 at 7PM ET and Remainder of Draft - 6/29 at 11:30AM ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Laughton’s not particularly a good hockey player anymore, there should be more urgency on the Flyers end to move him while the league still thinks the opposite. Unfortunately they’re also apart of that group that still thinks he’s good.

It’s pretty much shaping up to be another Simmonds like scenario where by the time they come to realization of this it will be too late.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

So basically (and you should subscribe aha):

They only think Berglund will likely be a 3C if things go well... :laugh: which is fair but a bad way to utilise a 2nd rounder.

Ruohonen seems like Sami Sandell's guy. And the Flyers seem to think he might have more upside than Berglund... which I agree with.
Pautov was picked as Hoodikoff went to ground for him. "Banging the table for him because of the upside"

Molile was a... Bob Murray pick?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Laughton’s not particularly a good hockey player anymore, there should be more urgency on the Flyers end to move him while the league still thinks the opposite. Unfortunately they’re also apart of that group that still thinks he’s good.

It’s pretty much shaping up to be another Simmonds like scenario where by the time they come to realization of this it will be too late.

I think we are already there. There is no urgency to pay for him now when you can get the same thing for cap space in FA. By the time the TDL and its urgency comes around, everyone will be wise.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Final thoughts for now: The Buium snub bugs me and will always bug me, but I’m going to refrain from being too pissed about the rest of the draft for another couple years. I think there is a decent amount of potential in most of these picks, and I can squint and see plausible scenarios for most of them, even if they’re not the most likely outcomes (the most likely outcome is that they all bust, even the ones I wanted in rounds 2+).

I remember being very pleased with the 2015 draft, thinking we had secured our franchise defender in Provorov, top line forward in Konecny when he fell (at least that one worked), and taken high upside shots on David Kase and Cooper Marody. Similar in 2016, picks like Laberge, Allison, Hogberg, and Laczinsky all felt like solid shots at later round talent. Only one of those picks actually worked.

To use David Kase as an example, that felt like a great pick on draft day. And it was a solid bet on an undervalued player, but he’s been as useful as Tyrell Goulbourne, and Kaprizov was taken later that round.

Similar, Wade Allison also felt like a pretty good pick. But you had Filip Hronek one selection later, which would have felt like a total waste on draft day.

I don’t think they did themselves many favors, but I will give this some time before declaring it indicative of a total organizational failure. It could be — and probably will be — but I’ve followed too many drafts to do that today.
When there’s patterns there’s likely causes. I would begin to suspect that our development process is poor. Which makes even the good picks not work out.

Given the Flyers treatment of young players, poor results, and office turnover for a long period of time, I think that’s likely the case.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Can anyone give me a honest opinion on how the Flyers did in the draft? At quick glance, it seems pretty meh, especially our 1st pick

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Flyers have turned into one of the wimpiest, most risk averse franchises in the league. We've known it for years, but it's unrelenting. The Flyers wanting to be like Vegas is a total misunderstanding of what Vegas is philosophically about.

I've been saying for a while now that Vegas is the modern incarnation of the pre-cap Flyers. They give zero f***s about league perception, they're cutthroat, they covet top talent first and foremost. They constantly flirt with the line between ballsy and reckless. They won the Cup last year; they could rest on their laurels. Instead, they're the team that did their homework and took a chance on a possible top 5 talent at #19. It's the type of ELC that could make or break another run, maybe their own Wyatt Johnston. They weren't thinking floor.

The Flyers have zero pressure to win, no recent success, should be leaning into risk.....and they get a tummy ache thinking about their 2029 4th line. They are paralyzed in fear at making any major decisions. Briere is on record saying they don't want their future cap space tied up in multiple stars.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The Flyers have turned into one of the wimpiest, most risk averse franchises in the league. We've known it for years, but it's unrelenting. The Flyers wanting to be like Vegas is a total misunderstanding of what Vegas is philosophically about.

I've been saying for a while now that Vegas is the modern incarnation of the pre-cap Flyers. They give zero f***s about league perception, they're cutthroat, they thirst and will pay anything for top talent. They constantly flirt with the line between brilliantly ballsy and reckless. They won the Cup last year; they could rest on their laurels. Instead, they're the team that did their homework and took a chance on a possible top 5 talent at #19. It's the type of ELC that could make or break another run, maybe their own Wyatt Johnston.

The Flyers have zero pressure to win, have no recent success, should be leaning into risk.....and they get a tummy ache thinking about their 2029 4th line. They are paralyzed in fear at making any major decisions.

"Safe is death."

Most baffling team in the league. People give shit to LA for bad trades. f*** that shit. This is bad. This is full on mismanagement. Even with Michkov, Flyers this coming season will be the Sharks of last season.

Reactions: Magua

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
So if they didnt scare Gauthier off...

1. Theyd have two of the top forward prospects in the league debuting next year.

2. They couldv drafted Buium bc they wouldnt have the Drysdale size excuse and an issue with that agent.

Danny has put himself in a position where he needs Drysdale to have a breakout year and he needs to come out of next years draft with a future 1C.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
So if they didnt scare Gauthier off...

1. Theyd have two of the top forward prospects in the league debuting next year.

2. They couldv drafted Buium bc they wouldnt have the Drysdale size excuse and an issue with that agent.

Danny has put himself in a position where he needs Drysdale to have a breakout year and he needs to come out of next years draft with a future 1C.
Briere's "plan" is obviously to run it back and hope enough teams pass them to move their pick up. Honestly it almost makes me miss the days of a bias for action. Briere does nothing but talk.

Reactions: Adam Warlock

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
"Safe is death."

Most baffling team in the league. People give shit to LA for bad trades. f*** that shit. This is bad. This is full on mismanagement. Even with Michkov, Flyers this coming season will be the Sharks of last season.

The Flyers are some amalgam of Detroit, Ottawa, and Anaheim. They have the deluded nostalgia of Detroit -- an NHL version of Grey Gardens. The Dunning–Kruger effect of Anaheim (mixed with Yzerman). And the annual size queen, roster fit philosophies of Ottawa -- a bottomless pit they can't see.

Reactions: BiggE

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Konecny will be ~31-32 by the time these 3 draft picks in the most unbelievable draft ever are professionals -- good professionals TBD. Trading 3 1sts to get a player who could impact this team 1-2 years from now is a logical timeline. Maybe not the smartest timeline or largest window or best value, but there's reasoning there. Luchanko, Bonk, and Barkey are the key pieces in the near future, while they're exploring selling Farabee and/or Frost more than they are Laughton. If you're not laughing, I'll laugh doubly for you.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Konecny will be ~31-32 by the time these 3 draft picks in the most unbelievable draft ever are professionals -- good professionals TBD. Trading 3 1sts to get a player who could impact this team 1-2 years from now is a logical timeline. Maybe not the smartest timeline or largest window or best value, but there's reasoning there. Luchanko, Bonk, and Barkey are the key pieces in the near future, while they're exploring selling low on Farabee and/or Frost. If you're not laughing, I'll laugh doubly for you.
Key? Or Only.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Key? Or Only.

There's a couple others flirting with being semi-serious depth prospects.....but yes. If we knew how much the Smartest Drafting Team in the NHL valued their present prospect pool, I think we'd have an aneurysm. The Briere quote about Alex Bump "pushing himself into a high-end prospect for us" and their thinking Hunter McDonald is their Brett Pesce is a window into their delusions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad