Prospect Info: 2024 Nashville Predators Rookie Camp/Showcase

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Is it too much to have a thread dedicated to this? Rookie Camp starts tomorrow.

"All six of the showcase’s games will be broadcast live on NashvillePredators.com with Willy Daunic, Chris Mason, Hal Gill, Pete Weber, Max Herz and Jay More providing commentary on a rotational basis."

1725967721088.png

1725967692932.png

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It's pretty light on "invites"... in general, it seems the modern model tends more towards doing this for the summer/post-draft development camps these days, while training camp/rookie camp whittles the list down significantly. Of course, it's also a reflection of our improved prospect depth that we don't really have room for a long list of invites.

So the main "unknowns" on the rookie camp roster are Nychuk and Armstrong.

I guess for fans of certain overage junior scoring sensations out there, I will point out that Nychuk had a very nice overage WHL season with 71 points on defense a couple of years ago. And is already under contract to Milwaukee and likely to play for Atlanta. But that's what a big scoring junior season gets you (see: Sward, Matier case files).

Armstrong is actually the only true "invite" therefore. He played with Molendyk last year, so I don't doubt they took notice while keeping tabs. He is a big body who had a solid overage season on a good team, 34 goals is decent, and he had a good playoff run. If he's the one guy from the summer camp that they opted to bring to this, then he must have made an impression?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It's pretty light on "invites"... in general, it seems the modern model tends more towards doing this for the summer/post-draft development camps these days, while training camp/rookie camp whittles the list down significantly. Of course, it's also a reflection of our improved prospect depth that we don't really have room for a long list of invites.

So the main "unknowns" on the rookie camp roster are Nychuk and Armstrong.

I guess for fans of certain overage junior scoring sensations out there, I will point out that Nychuk had a very nice overage WHL season with 71 points on defense a couple of years ago. And is already under contract to Milwaukee and likely to play for Atlanta. But that's what a big scoring junior season gets you (see: Sward, Matier case files).

Armstrong is actually the only true "invite" therefore. He played with Molendyk last year, so I don't doubt they took notice while keeping tabs. He is a big body who had a solid overage season on a good team, 34 goals is decent, and he had a good playoff run. If he's the one guy from the summer camp that they opted to bring to this, then he must have made an impression?
Looks like easton Armstrong is on the roster for the Atlanta Gladiators (ECHL) affiliate. Wonder if theyre trying to keep him close to our development group because they see something in him. Maybe work him up to AHL next season if things work out

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Who is someone you think could grab some attention in this showcase, aside from some of the expected guys like ZLH, Kemell, or Svechkov.

I think Ufko is getting overlooked and could surprise in this game.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Who is someone you think could grab some attention in this showcase, aside from some of the expected guys like ZLH, Kemell, or Svechkov.

I think Ufko is getting overlooked and could surprise in this game.
G - Chrona - i think many see him as just a throw in fron the Askarov trade. Maybe he is but im hoping he stands out in a positive way

F - Schaefer and Lind

D - Ufko and Gibson

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
G - Chrona - i think many see him as just a throw in fron the Askarov trade. Maybe he is but im hoping he stands out in a positive way

F - Schaefer and Lind

D - Ufko and Gibson
I hope you are right about Chrona...I watched his interview yesterday, big 6'6" smiley Scandinavian netminder. Maybe we can get lucky again, but his numbers last year don't make it seem like he's got a career path forward. Fingers crossed for a late bloomer who just needed the right coaching and a fresh look.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I wanna see if Molendyck keeps rolling or was last season just a fluke
Agreed. I expect him to show well, but it will be almost impossible to displace someone and earn a spot this year. I think they also know he still needs to add bulk and just grow his body. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets some games to start the year before being sent back to juniors.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I hope you are right about Chrona...I watched his interview yesterday, big 6'6" smiley Scandinavian netminder. Maybe we can get lucky again, but his numbers last year don't make it seem like he's got a career path forward. Fingers crossed for a late bloomer who just needed the right coaching and a fresh look.
Hard to tell with how big of a mess the sharks organization is at the moment. Im not expecting a NHL starter out of him but if he can turn in a NHL backup that'll be a win for us considering our current situation with the forever contract Saros has.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Hard to tell with how big of a mess the sharks organization is at the moment. Im not expecting a NHL starter out of him but if he can turn in a NHL backup that'll be a win for us considering our current situation with the forever contract Saros has.
Yeah, I don't have any real predictions for or against on Chrona. His numbers were a bit below the other two goalies the Barracudas used last year. But then he did get 9 NHL games. San Jose and their farm were both abysmal, so not too much to see there. Just getting NHL games can't be too bad a thing? Even on a tanking team that was intentionally hoping to lose hockey games? :dunno:

Denver has always been a strong defensive team, so I probably wouldn't read too much into great NCAA stats. There are lots of goalies who put up those kind of numbers in college hockey and aren't really NHL prospects.

All in all, not much we can say before we start to see him play. The one thing I'm optimistic about is that we have strong goaltending coaches, so if he does have any real potential, he's going to maximize his realization of it under our coaching group. :crossfing

Last edited:
Reactions: herzausstein

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If Chrona can even turn into a solid backup I think that would be a pretty big win. FWIW his save percentage wasn't far off of what Wedgewood put up last season albeit there are so many differences between their situations I'm not sure that's particularly meaningful but interesting nonetheless.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If Chrona can even turn into a solid backup I think that would be a pretty big win. FWIW his save percentage wasn't far off of what Wedgewood put up last season albeit there are so many differences between their situations I'm not sure that's particularly meaningful but interesting nonetheless.

I got Chrona fighting for starter with Murray. His AHL stats are similar to Murray but Murray had a much better team.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
It’s hard to judge him based on his numbers with the Sharks since they were basically a firing squad for a goalie. Under a better structure in Milwaukee it would certainly help his development

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean Korn worked his magic and got Lindback into a position that we got a 2nd round pick for him. If he gets anywhere close to that you take it all day long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad