2024 Main Training Camp Thread (Update 10/06: Cooley, Schwindt & Pelletier waived) 27 players left in camp: 3G, 8D, 16F

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I’d claim Brannstrom in a heartbeat. Brings a different skillset than the 5 dmen we have queueing up for a spot on our third pair
Nah. Brannstrom looks to be a bust at this point in time. This is 3 times this summer teams are willing to let him walk for nothing (I am including the trade to the Canucks because that 4th was to eat that LTIR contract.)

Means both Honzek and Klapka have made the team with Pelletier and Schwindt on waivers. Klapka was the obvious choice for 4RW spot so it makes complete sense. Next question is does Honzek continue to force management into playing him or does he get his 9 game cup of tea then sent down. Personally think he gets sent down to start November but he’s surprised everyone up to this point.

One step closer to the dream 4th line of Lomberg-Pospisil-Klapka.
It means it's likely one of them made it, there is still 1-2 cuts remaining (probably one), if everyone waived is reassigned or claimed.

full waivers list for today

Full list:Brown, Bussi, Patera, Sweezey, Viel (BOS)Clague, Reimer, Rousek (BUF)Cooley, Pelletier, Schwindt (CAL)Josian Slavin, Smith, Suzuki (CAR)Phillips (CHI)Dries, Holl, Lagesson, Rafferty, Snively (DET)Brown, Caggiula, Lavoie, Rodrigue (EDM)Copley, Fagemo, Studnicka (LA)Del Gaizo (NASH)Bowers, DeSimone, Foote, White (NJ)Bolduc, Engvall, Fasching, Foudy, Hogberg, Hutton, Karlstrom, Skarak (NYI)Robertson (NYR)Gaudette, Jenik (OTT)Aho, Imama (PIT)Schuenemann, Tucker (STL)Goncalves, Santini, Ylonen (TB)Murray, Rifai (TOR)Villalta (UT)Brannstrom (VCR)Aston-Reese, Laczynski, Rondbjerg (LV)Shepard (WASH)Anderson-Dolan (WIN)

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Suzuki getting waived is on par with Pelletier getting waived.. taken within a couple picks of each other,
Well at least Wolf made the team. That was the one thing I was really worried about
You need to get out of your own head sometimes. Cooley has never been more than an AHL backup, he was never going to make the team.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Nah. Brannstrom looks to be a bust at this point in time. This is 3 times this summer teams are willing to let him walk for nothing (I am including the trade to the Canucks because that 4th was to eat that LTIR contract.)

It means it's likely one of them made it, there is still 1-2 cuts remaining (probably one), if everyone waived is reassigned or claimed.

full waivers list for today
I mean I think it’s extremely obvious Coronato is the final cut. Klapka earned the spot, and it makes way more sense to have Coronato top line in the A than a “play most nights” 4th liner.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The Flames did this to themselves. They signed Mantha and Lomberg which left like 1 4th line roster spot available to compete for. Then Pelletier got beat out by Honzek, Klapka and both had better camps.

Reactions: badi

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The Flames did this to themselves. They signed Mantha and Lomberg which left like 1 4th line roster spot available to compete for. Then Pelletier got beat out by Honzek, Klapka and both had better camps.
Create competition in camp to winnow out who can actually cut it? Why is it the Flames fault that Pelletier is trending to be in the 1/4 first rounders who never make it?

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I mean I think it’s extremely obvious Coronato is the final cut. Klapka earned the spot, and it makes way more sense to have Coronato top line in the A than a “play most nights” 4th liner.
Probably, but there are more possibilities. With the combination of 4 waiver exempt players on the roster still, a potential IR placement and no games until Wednesday... Our official opening roster may not be the same as it is Wednesday.

Because of that flexibility, we could claim someone off waivers and then waive someone else tomorrow. In theory we could Bolduc... then waive Hanley tomorrow and then reassign him Tuesday and bring a waiver exempt guy back up.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Probably, but there are more possibilities. With the combination of 4 waiver exempt players on the roster still, a potential IR placement and no games until Wednesday... Our official opening roster may not be the same as it is Wednesday.

Because of that flexibility, we could claim someone off waivers and then waive someone else tomorrow. In theory we could Bolduc... then waive Hanley tomorrow and then reassign him Tuesday and bring a waiver exempt guy back up.
…so the long way of saying Klapka and Honzek made the team instead of my short version?

I agree we could snag a defenseman off the waiver wire, and have to send down Klapka with Coronato until Hanley can hit the waiver wire, but there’s zero chance we grab a forward after prospects just had great camps and whoever is sent down is immediately brought back up when Hanley clears/gets claimed. There’s a 99% chance Klapka and Honzek made the team so I don’t see what this back and forth is for?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Sucks but you could see this is what was coming for Pelts. Played camp like he was scared of getting injured again. Personally would have been alright keeping him as the 13th fwd but the reality is he needs to be in the AHL getting his game back.

Maybe he gets claimed but I wouldn't bet on it. Even the bad teams have plenty of bubble guys with potential.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
I find it funny so many people (more so CP and twitter) are losing their mind over Pelts being on waivers saying how great of a prospect he is and how he will get claimed, such bad asset management, yet he was a complete no show in camp. He had the inside track to make the team because of multiple factors, waiver eligible, he is older so he should be more developed and yet I've seen people want to keep him because of his waiver status which means he would make the team over guys who out competed him.

I'm not saying he's a bust (yet), but he came in and didn't show anything to the organization.

In the chance he gets claimed does anyone legitimately believe he is anything more than a 35-40 point guy at his peak? Flames added 2 guys who I think have a much higher upside in this past draft in Basha and Gridin, they have Coronato and Honzek who are both better and had better camps. That's 4 top 9 wingers right there, team already has Zary and multiple other wingers. I'd also put Stromgren and Misa as better prospects with more upside (Strogrem similar offensive potential, but he is a big guy who can grind it out on the 4th line).

Would it suck to lose him, yes, do I think it's a big loss? Not even a little. People have to overlook draft pedigree, if he was a 4th rounder no one bats an eye.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

Rooney and Pelletier play different positions. Rooney is our only pure #4C they have to be looked at independently. And I'm saying this as probably the biggest Pelletier fan on here... I'm seething, but trying not to meltdown like with Solo lol
Keeping Rooney is expected due to our center depth. The lack of logic is keeping 8 defensemen. What the hell is Hanley still doing there?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Pelletier wasn’t good so this isn’t surprising, but it’s unfortunate the team was in a position in which 11/12 of the fwd positions were already decided before the start of camp.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
From a value/skill stand point I think we can make centres work without Rooney between guys on the team and Hunt/Morton.

But honestly it's probably best for Pelletier to go somewhere a coach can help his find the tenacity and confidence he showed in last year's camp. The Wranglers are a good place to do that, he's not going to be benched or out of the lineup nearly as quickly as if he were competing with a full NHL team for ice time.

Hopefully for his sake if he is claimed he goes somewhere he can get some kind of insulation and a push to find his old self.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
From a value/skill stand point I think we can make centres work without Rooney between guys on the team and Hunt/Morton.

But honestly it's probably best for Pelletier to go somewhere a coach can help his find the tenacity and confidence he showed in last year's camp. The Wranglers are a good place to do that, he's not going to be benched or out of the lineup nearly as quickly as if he were competing with a full NHL team for ice time.

Hopefully for his sake if he is claimed he goes somewhere he can get some kind of insulation and a push to find his old self.

They really only had two options with how he performed at camp.

A) Keep him up as a 13th fwd and rotate him in with very limited playing time and hope it just clicks magically and he takes off. Could easily have resulted in having to waive him anyway a month from now. Not really ideal for the player or team.

B) Waive him now before the season starts and rosters are still being set around the league with most teams having little in the way of injuries. Hope he clears and gets lots of ice with the Wranglers to find his game again, possible first or second recall if he does that.

Ideally he would have played his way on to the team but that didn't happen. Out of the options they were presented IMO they chose the least bad one.

Reactions: SaintMorose

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I would love to be a fly on the wall when decisions were made on who to keep and who to send down. I really don't understand a few of them (ie. keeping an 8th dman in Joel Hanley) and I'm sure there will be more baffling ones to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad