2024 Kings Prospect Rankings Post Mortem Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
As always, I want to begin by saying thank you to everyone who participated in the past couple months. Even if you didn't vote, maybe you wrote a comment, or just wanted to take time to learn more about the prospects. The offseason is long, so those who indulge me are always appreciated.

With the rookie tournament next week, we have a list of the unscientific and completely subjective list of top Kings prospects. As mentioned in all the polls, this includes only players who are eligible for the Calder Trophy this year. Because of the fewer draft picks and some players not being re-signed, the list has shortened quite a bit. So, even if someone "moves up" in the newer list, it may just be there are fewer players they're up against.

Along with just passing time, I always find these lists interesting for a few reasons. People use completely different criteria, and hopefully with enough votes, there's some semblance of players standing out and getting picked regardless of the differing criteria. We're not scouts, so some of it gets based on observation, sometimes by what media gets shared (whether it's highlights or articles).

Below is the list. How much does the list align with yours? Do the "risers" and "fallers" surprise you?

I guess the other thing to check. Do you all like the criteria that's used or would want to do things differently with future polls (e.g. listing all the prospects from the get go, present them differently aside from the "prospect roster", etc)?

Ranking2024 Poll2023 PollDifference
1​
Liam Greentree, LWBrandt Clarke, RDNA
2​
Koehn Ziemmer, RWAlex Turcotte, CPlus-6
3​
Hampton Slukynsky, GFrancesco Pinelli, CPlus-15
4​
Akil Thomas, CAlex Laferriere, RWPlus-9
5​
Erik Portillo, GMartin Chromiak, RWPlus-5
6​
Kirill Kirsanov, LDSamuel Fagemo, RWPlus-6
7​
Carter George, GJakub Dvorak, LDNA
8​
Jakub Dvorak, LDKoehn Ziemmer, RWMinus-1
9​
Ryan Conmy, RWKirill Kirsanov, LDPlus-13
10​
Francesco Pinelli, CErik Portillo, GMinus-7
11​
Samuel Helenius, CSamuel Helenius, CPlus-0
12​
Jared Wright, LWKenny Connors, CPlus-16
13​
Martin Chromiak, RWAkil Thomas, CMinus-8
14​
Andre Lee, LWAatu Jamsen, LWPlus-12
15​
Aatu Jamsen, LWKasper Simontaival, RWMinus-1
16​
Jared Woolley, LDJack Hughes, CNA
17​
Kenny Connors, CJacob Moverare, LDMinus-5
18​
Otto Salin, RDHampton Slukynsky, GPlus-1
19​
James Reeder, RWOtto Salin, RDNA
20​
Matthew Mania, RDMatthew Mania, RDPlus-0
21​
Angus Booth, LDKim Nousiainen, RDPlus-4
22​
Kaleb Lawrence, LWRyan Conmy, RWPlus-10
23​
Jack Sparkes, RDTyler Madden, CPlus-4
24​
Jack Hughes, CCole Krygier, LDMinus-8
25​
Cole Krygier, LDAngus Booth, LDMinus-1
26​
Tyler Madden, CAndre Lee, LWMinus-3
27​
Bulat Shafigullin, LWJack Sparkes, RDPlus-7
28​
Jared Wright, LW
29​
Taylor Ward, LW
30​
Juho Markkanen, G
31​
Ben Meehan, LD
32​
Kaleb Lawrence, LW
33​
Braden Doyle, LD
34​
Bulat Shafigullin, LW

Biggest Risers:
Jared Wright (+16)
Hampton Slukynsky (+15)
Ryan Conmy (+13)

Biggest Fallers:
Jack Hughes (-8)
Martin Chromiak (-8)
Francesco Pinelli (-7)

Looking forward to another discussion about prospects before the rookie season and tourney!

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Obviously it lacks an elite prospect (or two) but I don’t think it’s all that bad a list. Kirsanov and Dvorak are solid prospects on the left, whilst I’m high on Ziemmer and Greentree. If both can improve their skating a notch or 2 then they will be solid players. With Helenius, Lee and Wright we have some good bottom 6 size and Conmy has serious upside. Throw in the goaltending and a few interesting wildcards and it probably becomes a fairly underrated group.

Whilst my expectations for the King are measured I’m certainly more interested in things this pre-season. We have some fascinating prospects plus the potential emergence of Clarke, Thomas and Turcotte. Byfield brings a definite excitement factor plus the team should have more bite. So I certainly think things will be more interesting if nothing else.

I’m hoping to see someone throw a spanner in the works and kill it at rookie camp. Does Greentree show more than anticipated or is Ziemmer ready before we anticipated? Those are the two I think may surprise. Maybe Greentree gets a game or two before going back to junior? Likely? No. Possible? Maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I feel like the general risers and fallers we nailed collectively, not a ton of surprises there...though Wright rising so much is a little shocking.

Had a little chuckle thinking "poor Madden he must have fallen so hard" but we were clearly justifiably hard on him last year too

Reactions: tigermask48

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I feel like the general risers and fallers we nailed collectively, not a ton of surprises there...though Wright rising so much is a little shocking.

Had a little chuckle thinking "poor Madden he must have fallen so hard" but we were clearly justifiably hard on him last year too
Madden and Hughes were arguably the biggest beneficiaries of a smaller pool as far as minimizing their fall. I didn't want to use any overly complex math to have a perfect system to measure differential in ranks.

But Madden was 11 spots from the bottom last season, and only one spot from the bottom this season. So, you could argue in a way he fell 10 spots. Hughes was 18 spots away last year versus 4, so he arguably fell 14 spots.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I thinkguys like Kirsanov and Thomas benefitted from some of the graduations. As much as I like Kirsanov and his potential, its hard for me to justify having him ahead of George and Dvorak when we still don't know where Kirsanov stands in terms of coming over. He may or may not have been coming to Dev camp, but Dev camp is one thing and actually coming to training camp and signing a contract is another.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
It's a weak asset list. Only 6 or 7 skaters who look to have realistic NHL potential (none above scoring depth or role spots) and 3 goalies which are nearly impossible to project accurately. Not too difficult to see why most rankings have the Kings pool in the bottom third of the league.

Bright side is the volume of recent graduates who will be playing in progressively more important roles. But, if you look at it as an asset list and not as a prospect pool, there is very little there that would be of interest to a trading partner to support the active roster.

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I thinkguys like Kirsanov and Thomas benefitted from some of the graduations. As much as I like Kirsanov and his potential, its hard for me to justify having him ahead of George and Dvorak when we still don't know where Kirsanov stands in terms of coming over. He may or may not have been coming to Dev camp, but Dev camp is one thing and actually coming to training camp and signing a contract is another.
I believe Kirsanov did show at dev camp but didn’t skate due to injury. So it does at least show positive intent but as you say he needs to sign first.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I agree with this. And Kirsanov is definitely a question mark.

I believe it was last year after he was traded in the KHL that he still wants to play in the NHL. It's just been difficult because fitness has been an issue.

If he's willing to play in the AHL, I definitely think there's a fair argument of him over Dvorak. If he doesn't, I think Woolley and Booth could quickly supplant him in the LD depth chart.

It's a weak asset list. Only 6 or 7 skaters who look to have realistic NHL potential (none above scoring depth or role spots) and 3 goalies which are nearly impossible to project accurately. Not to difficult to see why most rankings have the Kings pool in the bottom third of the league.

Bright side are the volume of recent graduates who will be playing in progressively more important roles. But, if you look at it as an asset list and not as a prospect pool, there is very little there that would be of interest to a trading partner to support the active roster.
I do think there are a few who could be role players if not NHL regulars. Like, Sparkes or Lawrence with size and meanness alone wouldn't be too different from other depth No. 7/No 13, especially if the league starts swinging back to grit.

While I don't have expectations, I do have hope on players like Conmy and Reeder, who have other elements instead of scoring ability.

Of course I won't go over every player on this list. I am definitely lower on Chromiak and Pinelli. I just don't think they've shown to be more than good junior-level players.

I keep going back and forthbetween Ziemmer and Greentree. I might still be higher on Ziemmer because of his ability and potential to impact the ice up and down the lineup. Greentree just has superior vision, and I'm worried Ziemmer's skating and injury will be a bigger setback for him.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
As always a big thank you to KP for running these every year.

Agree with the general consensus here, seems to be a weak list but it's also mostly accurate at capturing where guys are currently at.
There's a few guys I'd move around in spots, but nothing egregious, I would have 5, 6, 7 be George, Portillo, Slukynsky in some order, but I can live with where they fall in the list as it is.

Poor Shaf finishing bottom of the pool two years running. Wonder if that becomes a trend since the Kings will maintain his rights indefinitely, although I guess the age factor gets him in a year or two.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It's a weak asset list. Only 6 or 7 skaters who look to have realistic NHL potential (none above scoring depth or role spots) and 3 goalies which are nearly impossible to project accurately. Not too difficult to see why most rankings have the Kings pool in the bottom third of the league.

Bright side is the volume of recent graduates who will be playing in progressively more important roles. But, if you look at it as an asset list and not as a prospect pool, there is very little there that would be of interest to a trading partner to support the active roster.
Agreed. There doesn't appear to be much there but, hey, Blake's best prospect pool in the league two years running hasn't produced much so it probably doesn't matter anyways.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Obviously it lacks an elite prospect but I don’t think it’s all that bad a list. Kirsanov and Dvorak are solid prospects on the left, whilst I’m high on Ziemmer and Greentree. If both can improve their skating a notch or 2 then they will be solid players. With Helenius, Lee and Wright we have some good bottom 6 size and Conmy has serious upside. Throw in the goaltending and a few interesting wildcards and it probably becomes a fairly underrated group.

Whilst my expectations for the King are measured I’m certainly more interested in things this pre-season. We have some fascinating prospects plus the potential emergence of Clarke, Thomas and Turcotte. Byfield brings a definite excitement factor plus the team should have more bite. So I certainly think things will be more interesting if nothing else.

I’m hoping to see someone throw a spanner in the works and kill it at rookie camp. Does Greentree show more than anticipated or is Ziemmer ready before we anticipated? Those are the two I think may surprise. Maybe Greentree gets a game or two before going back to junior? Likely? No. Possible? Maybe.

"bad" is relative. I don't think we hate these guys or anything. There are some good wild cards in there. But you have to compare it to all the other teams and when you do that, that's when you'll see how 'bad' it is.

It's lacking. Bigtime.

Reactions: tigermask48

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
There is only one poster here that really seems to be qualified to compare all 32 teams prospect pools.

That said the King need QB to continue and other young players to have cumulative and or individual progress.

Not sure how flattering and fair jive in the same sentence but I get the sentiment.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
"bad" is relative. I don't think we hate these guys or anything. There are some good wild cards in there. But you have to compare it to all the other teams and when you do that, that's when you'll see how 'bad' it is.

It's lacking. Bigtime.
There really should be two or three other recent first round talents in that mix.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
There's just no real top end talent there at all. There's a bunch of serviceable pieces to put a team together and some potential diamonds in the rough on there.

But there's no one that you look at and go "yeah, that's a surefire NHLer in a couple years" and that is what stands out.

Contrast that to years ago and you watched a guy like Lewis and went "not sure I see the skill there that made him a 1st rounder, but the instincts away from the puck and work ethic are there, he can at least play a bottom 6 role."

I love Hammer and George as prospects but I can't honestly see either being a surefire NHL goalies.

Same with Greentree, Dvorak, and Ziemmer, significant question marks attached to all 3.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

It's lacking. Bigtime.
Fair enough…. I’m trying to be positive so I can enjoy something this season 👃

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad