Prospect Info: 2024 Kings Development Camp

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Can u elaborate?
It's rare for me to notice anything specific during development camp.

It's a short burst of drills and stretching and the kids are a mix of camp invitees, highly ranked new prospects and overage prospects that for whatever reason have been asked back to another camp.

Most of the drills are working on indiviual skills or feature the players skating in straight lines undefended or shooting and those sorts of things just rarely catch my eye.

What DID catch my eye with Conmy was the battle drills they were running.

I saw a Russell Morgan tweet (I think in this thread) featuruing Ziemmer in the same drill knocking people to the ice. In that same drill... Ryan Conmy consistently outbattled his opponent and came away with the puck.

Even if he got beat to the puck in the initial footrace or was muscled off it by a much larger player he never gave up on the drill and would spin back, catch the guy and strip the puck off him.

It's not a huge deal because it's still just drills at development camp but what I saw was an undersized player use his wits, his legs, his hands and his "testicular fortitude" to dominate and frankly embarrass every single player he was pitted against.

He beat the kids he should have, he beat the kids he shouldn't have and when the matchup featured a higher profile based on the reputation and draft pedigree of the participants he made other guys look worse.

I guess that's my biggest takeaway... he made himself look good and made other guys look bad.

The name that popped into my head was Blake Lizotte but with a much higher presence of strength, tenacity and ability to physically impact/dominate opponents.

TL;DR

With very limitied opportunities to actually do something that resembles playing hockey... he looked better than everybody else I was watching.

Possible exception... Koen Ziemmer who absolutely knocked people around.

AS FOR THE SCRIMMAGE

Unfortunately I was at the end Conmy's team was defending so it was harder to see his offensive impact in the scrimmage from where I was sitting but I heard good things and am not the least bit surprised.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It's rare for me to notice anything specific during development camp.

It's a short burst of drills and stretching and the kids are a mix of camp invitees, highly ranked new prospects and overage prospects that for whatever reason have been asked back to another camp.

Most of the drills are working on indiviual skills or feature the players skating in straight lines undefended or shooting and those sorts of things just rarely catch my eye.

What DID catch my eye with Conmy was the battle drills they were running.

I saw a Russell Morgan tweet (I think in this thread) featuruing Ziemmer in the same drill knocking people to the ice. In that same drill... Ryan Conmy consistently outbattled his opponent and came away with the puck.

Even if he got beat to the puck in the initial footrace or was muscled off it by a much larger player he never gave up on the drill and would spin back, catch the guy and strip the puck off him.

It's not a huge deal because it's still just drills at development camp but what I saw was an undersized player use his wits, his legs, his hands and his "testicular fortitude" to dominate and frankly embarrass every single player he was pitted against.

He beat the kids he should have, he beat the kids he shouldn't have and when the matchup featured a higher profile based on the reputation and draft pedigree of the participants he made other guys look worse.

I guess that's my biggest takeaway... he made himself look good and made other guys look bad.

The name that popped into my head was Blake Lizotte but with a much higher presence of strength, tenacity and ability to physically impact/dominate opponents.

TL;DR

With very limitied opportunities to actually do something that resembles playing hockey... he looked better than everybody else I was watching.

Possible exception... Koen Ziemmer who absolutely knocked people around.

AS FOR THE SCRIMMAGE

Unfortunately I was at the end Conmy's team was defending so it was harder to see his offensive impact in the scrimmage from where I was sitting but I heard good things and am not the least bit surprised.
Thanks. Nice review.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Thanks, Jesse. I saw Russel's clips on X...damn, Ziemmer is a monster. I would not be shocked if he made the team, if someone is a little lackluster. He's pretty impressive. Prince George has a great team and someone on X said (think he was in Prince George and saw their games) that Ziemmer was their best player, when he got hurt. Too bad. By the time he was back for the playoffs, it took him some time to produce and I have a feeling that Parascak top line was rolling and Ziemmer wasn't getting top minutes.

I recall after his draft, Yannetti said he was a big strong kid, but his weight distribution was not right and they were going to get him on the right training plrogram...seems like he has.

''''''Ziemmer zips shots around defenders, pump-faking and toe-dragging to create that little extra space for the release. With perfect timing, he spins off checks and gets open for deflections, rebounds, and flashy in-tight moves. Watching Ziemmer is also an IV drip of (often unpenalized) violence. He throws reverse hits with the puck and crushing hits along the boards without it. Crosschecks, nudges, and non-stop always being in the way are the subtler ways he ensures opponents know he's on the ice. -EliteProspects 2023 NHL Draft Guide''''

I wonder if he's seen that or anyone told him this and said "dude, you're an IV drip of violence'
Kings makeup is changing bigtime...Jeannot, Edmundson, Burroughs, Ziemmer, Lawrence...Woolley.
In size and toughness....just please get some elite top line winger, please.

The way Yannetti and the scouts are getting some talent in later rounds, the Kings should be honestly trying to get additional 4-6 round picks. Some teams will give them up like candy. Um...kind of like how the Kings gave many out.

I wish the rest f management expected as much from themselves and persevered, the way Yannetti does. No, he has not unearthed a late round Kucherov...but he's getting some players that will play and have some impact in later rounds. I watched a lot of Conmy's footage over the season and he was like Cammalleri...about the same size and build..tenacious and around the puck or if he didn't have it, he would sneak into a seam quickly, get a pass and get a great shot off and score some.

Led New Hampshire as a Freshman,..I can see him getting a contract next April. Same with Wright...Connors? I don't see what Yannetti is seeing, 'that both Wright and Connors will play in the NHL'...but sounds good.

Last edited:

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Also, it’s crazy to see the gms and coaches as they walk right by you. I have more respect for those who cover the team and how difficult it might be to ask a tough question in person.

Bergevin is very much present and noticeable.

My encounters with Hoven and Bernstein were really good. They were both gracious and kind. I don’t always agree with them but they gave me more time then they had too for sure.
"Bergevin is very much present and noticable " Here is one of the major problems with this organization

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Nothing major. Sounds like some free agents didn’t want the west coast. Not specifically LA.

I think Kirisonov will be a King next year 25-26 Sounds like he has slimmed down and is pretty fit.

Arty has no takers, sounds like they have been trying.
Guess Kirsanov will slip into the slot occupied by Gavrikov once he departs...as for Kaliyev might as well sign him and keep him as insurance just in case...can't hurt

Dev camp is what it is. Hard to get any real read on players aside from returning guys who should be smoking invitees and just drafted guys. Didnt even notice Greentree in the scrimmage yesterday. Doesn’t mean he is bad.
I can imagine Greentree slotting next to Byfield in a year or two when its time...

Reactions: LAKings88

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Dev camp is what it is. Hard to get any real read on players aside from returning guys who should be smoking invitees and just drafted guys. Didnt even notice Greentree in the scrimmage yesterday. Doesn’t mean he is bad.
Yeah, one thing that took me way too long to figure out is the point of these development camps is for prospects to get better and learn.

A couple drills and scrimmages will never say the whole story, just like a whole game doesn't. But, of course, the more you see, the clearer the picture is.

Like Ziemmer dummying Parker Murray yesterday with reverse hits will tell you that Ziemmer tries to employ that style of play. After a couple, it may also suggest what specifically triggers him to react that way. Does he do it to all players? Or does he seem to change his strategy with players of different sizes? How does he respond when he senses a player near his other shoulder?

NHL viability isn't something that can or should be drawn from these limited viewings. I simply try to use inductive reasoning with smaller sample sizes and what instinctive behaviors resonate with other NHLers. If there are things that someone does a lot and it doesn't work as well at the NHL level, I note it as something that should be improved.

An example I like to give is Jordan Weal. He was fantastic at the junior level, but I saw two things that alarmed me (multiple times):
- while he was willing to check and engage physically, he bounced off players. He couldn't effectively hit
- he stole the puck from the opposition a lot. Like, straight up lifted their stick from behind and stole the puck. That's great at the junior level, but professionals are bigger, more aware, and communicate more.

These were just two things that, as the level of competition improved, he couldn't depend on those skills at that level.

Similarly with Byfield, he used his size and reach to make fly-bys to free the puck and attack on the rush. Scoring off the rush was a critique about him, but in my opinion, that wasn't the issue. The issue was the dependency to poke the puck free. Now that he's grown, he's learned to use his entire body more effectively to free the puck. Which is why I had minimal concerns when he wasn't putting up the points the season before this one.

Anyway, these are imperfect situations and yet we still do the best we can, because (at least for me) it's fun. Your observations are still appreciated. I'd be more worried if you were saying with confidence that A, B, C were NHLers and X, Y, Z were not.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Probably the same reason nobody else has picked him up?
Watch Simontaival score 30 in SM-Liiga...some guys just take a little longer...I bet the conversation went something like...Blake...here's the deal Simontaival...that's not much of a deal...oh well...some GM's see talent and want to develop that talent into a possibly highly skilled guy and some guys sit on their hands and do f*** all...guess which one is Blake but had Kasper been 6-6 he'd be all over him like a dirty shirt

Reactions: JJDrums

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'd assume that a big part of these camps are more about the off ice stuff -- getting to know the guys, them to know the organization, teaching them about being a pro, diet, workouts, etc. That's what i'd expect this to be about. Less about actual on ice development tbh. But i'm 100% speaking from 0% actual knowledge.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I'd assume that a big part of these camps are more about the off ice stuff -- getting to know the guys, them to know the organization, teaching them about being a pro, diet, workouts, etc. That's what i'd expect this to be about. Less about actual on ice development tbh. But i'm 100% speaking from 0% actual knowledge.
Sounds pretty sound actually I bet it is all that

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Bro we are your people, not them, give us some politically correct worded tid -bits.

Put him with Byfield and Fiala straight out of the gate pre season.

LFG.

Get over the bitter feelings Blake, if he bombs again you then will look more justified.

It would be like watching Shaq try and run the fast break for the Lakers. :nod:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Cool experience so far. Found myself sitting in the middle of La staff and players not playing today. Couldn’t tell you who they all are. Interesting hearing them talk about the scrimmage and players. Heard some things too that I likely shouldn’t repeat.

I've heard the same things too. Very candid to say the least when it comes to the eyetest evaluations during these camps. :laugh:

Reactions: LAKings88

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

Jessie and Yanetti conjured this guy up, don't tell me he didn't disappear already?

Doesn't get much more Harry Potter, than Liam Greentree...
It would be like watching Shaq try and run the fast break for the Lakers. :nod:

Not really, that would be Fiala and Byfield on that end.

Both are very good passers and can shoot well at times, if they look him off.

Sorry not resonating with me.

I tried to like it , so what you heard at camp, anyway?

Reactions: kingsfan28

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Looks like we found our whipping boy already. Usually it take until camp for that to happen. :laugh:
When Leaf nation bat shttt crazy does an emergency
Looks like we found our whipping boy already. Usually it take until camp for that to happen. :laugh:
Well....Steve Dangle did an 'instant analysis' with 2 others on July 2nd, about the Kings. I found this a little alarming, as I have only ever seen his Leafs videos where he falls apart and wondered why on July 2nd, he's talking LA KINGS?? Mostly for entertianment and to see that it's not only Kings fans that suffer. This is actually a good 15 minute video and they talk about the Kings moves, the last few years and Blake, Bergevin and the team. Since Edmundson just played for the Leafs, I was curious to see what they said...I was honestly surprised Dangle's initial response to Edmondson at 8:42 "he's fine" WOW. I was expecting him to tear into him and say bad things. Steve is honestly pretty astute and for a fan, has made accurate takes on players. If anyone is going to rip into Edmundson, it's this guy, after a 7 game round 1 loss to the Bruins. I fully expected him to say Edmundson was one of the reasons they lost the series.
This makes me feel a little better. They just talked about the 4 yrs at 3.85M. That he serves a purpose. It's not a total waste of 15 minutes. Dangle is at his most civil and there is no entertainment value in it, though. However, from 11 minutes they rip into all the deals and the demise we all know. It's deflating, lol

It's been a few days and I am trying to remain calm, but the Kings needed several things this offseason and that was: 2 forwards, 1 defenseman and 1 goalie. I was expecting 1 forward to be a 30 goal scorer and the defenseman to be better than Edemundson. I was hoping for size and legit toughness and they got that. Summer not over and while Hoven says they're done...he's only right on generalities half the time. I'm still hoping for a Necas or someone that is a legit scorer and yet, expectations it will be Sprong! lol. I say don't get any B level players from here and go with the youth, over the Sprong, Athanisiou, faux top 6 types.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Jessie and Yanetti conjured this guy up, don't tell me he didn't disappear already?

Doesn't get much more Harry Potter, than Liam Greentree...

Not really, that would be Fiala and Byfield on that end.

Both are very good passers and can shoot well at times, if they look him off.

Sorry not resonating with me.

If you ever saw Shaq run it you'll understand. Shaq at full speed, while his wingers were doing everything they could not to pass him by, hoping he just gets past center court. The crowd loved it though. :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: Surf Nutz

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This idea is very exciting but I'd be worried that wouldn't be great for his development. Don't want to make the same mistake that was made with Bjornfot and Kaliyev.

If he's truly playing out of his mind during training camp, maybe a couple games at the NHL level would be alright. But I'd say he should probably just start in Ontario regardless and if he's really preforming that well in the AHL he can be a mid-season call up.

More likely than not, he could use a full year or two in the AHL

Ziemmer is a RHS, if he’s physically strong enough is he a dark horse candidate?

Ziemmer is reminding me a bit of Simmonds and Clifford. Both made the NHL full time straight out of junior. Clifford in his draft year, Simmonds in his D+1 year.

Similar build and junior stats to those guys. All picked outside the 1st round. All physically mature for their age. Zeimmer did have the injury set back though.

This kid gives the Kings EXACTLY what they want; right shot gritty physical winger with some upside.

I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but it wouldn't shock me if it did. Personally I haven't watched him play enough to have an educated opinion on the matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad