2024 Islanders Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Only a practice match, but have to be happy with that.
They looked pretty decent
Gauthier showing what he can do. Can he do it more often?
Tsyplakov promising.
Wahly seemed to play pretty good.
Bolduc looks to have developed more.
Maggio showed glimpses. Great goal by Thiesing?
And I know I'll get mocked fot this, but Skarek was solid. I'm pretty sure he didn't concede in preseason last year either. Maybe he's more comfortable with better defence in front of him? Made a nice blocker save late
Gauthier > Wahlstrom FWIW

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Thoughts on the game:

First, there are THIRTY pages on the Devils GDT from last night, and about 30 COMMENTS here . . .

Tsyplakov is the real deal. The early turnover did not cause him to lose confidence, and for the rest of the game, he was our best player. He was terrific at puck retrieval and using his body to maintain possession. If he plays with Nelson and Palms, I could see a lot of assists, as he is a much better version of what they asked Engvall to do with those two. If he plays with Barzal/Horvat, I could see him being more of a net-front presence.

Right now, I can see:

Duclair - Barzal - Horvat (no particular position-labeling)
Tsyp - Nelson - Palms
Lee - JGP - Holms
Maclean/Foudy - Casey - Engvall

For once, we have a number of players who would not clear waivers, which means that we might see one surprise trade before the season starts.

Bolduc has clearly sped up his decision-making and looks like he is firmly an NHL-er.

Jeffries and Maggio need to put on a lot more muscle, but for a first game against a number of NJ regulars, they looked promising. Thiesing can rip it. Might be nice to keep those 3 together at Bridgeport.

Pelech looks like he's tired of being cheap-shotted over the years and now has decided it's better to give than receive.

Hogberg should be a serviceable 3rd-string goalie.

The rest was pretty much in line with what to expect.

Reactions: Lek

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The pass by Tsyplakov was big league silky. A golden play in what was very much an initial pre-season game.

Thiesing reminds me of Tanner Fritz.

Skarek.... Keep him in there throughout the preseason, then see a team "steal" him from us for a 6th rounder.

Make it happen, Lou.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I would give a look with #7 between Barzal and Horvat
He needs to learn how to play defensively on the small ice. I think he's used to passing lanes being wider, and having more time to recover defensively. (Not to mention that the players aren't as good.) I think you can play more of an inside-out defensive game when there's more space, but not in the NHL. He's got to stick tighter to his assignment as opposed to worrying about others' because Dougie Hamilton is gonna eat him up every time if he gives him that kind of leeway.

Those are adjustments that take some time to make. Let's see how he improves over camp.

Reactions: mm11

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Right now, I can see:

Duclair - Barzal - Horvat (no particular position-labeling)
Tsyp - Nelson - Palms
Lee - JGP - Holms
Maclean/Foudy - Casey - Engvall
Flip Holmstrom and Tsyplakov. Start him out on the bottom 6 to have him adjust with JGP and learn the details of the NHL a bit first, then bring him up. It also spreads our scoring a bit more. Tsyplakov uses his shot and Lee does Lee things in front of the net while JGP wins all the faceoffs like we’re used to.
As for Holmstrom, I like him in the top 6. He has an active stick and can poke pucks out to Brock who we know has no issue carrying the puck through the neutral zone. Let Palmeri do what he does down low and retrieve pucks.

As for the 4th, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fasching there over Foudy.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Flip Holmstrom and Tsyplakov. Start him out on the bottom 6 to have him adjust with JGP and learn the details of the NHL a bit first, then bring him up. It also spreads our scoring a bit more. Tsyplakov uses his shot and Lee does Lee things in front of the net while JGP wins all the faceoffs like we’re used to.
As for Holmstrom, I like him in the top 6. He has an active stick and can poke pucks out to Brock who we know has no issue carrying the puck through the neutral zone. Let Palmeri do what he does down low and retrieve pucks.
imo Engvall or Duclair have to be with Nelson/Palmieri, or you drop Palmieri down . Somebody has to get the puck through the neutral zone for Nelson and Palmieri. I know Engvall gets it for not producing how he should, but it'll get far more tiring to see the ice tilted against the line consistently.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
imo Engvall or Duclair have to be with Nelson/Palmieri, or you drop Palmieri down . Somebody has to get the puck through the neutral zone for Nelson and Palmieri. I know Engvall gets it for not producing how he should, but it'll get far more tiring to see the ice tilted against the line consistently.
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri isn’t a bad line and can produce. I’m thinking they start with this up front:
Barzal-Horvat-Duclair (wings can flip here but Mat seemed to like the off wing last season)
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Lee-JGP-Holmstrom
Tsyplakov-Cizikas-Maclean
Martin-Fasching

There’s a lot of guys who can push for a middle six spot in a pinch which is nice. We’re probably going to see the guys fighting for spots get most of the pre season games like: Tsyplakov (mainly for adjustment to the NHL play style), Gauthier, Fasching, Wahlstrom. Roy is going to want to see them bring it and prove to him they want to stays

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Wahlstrom is just never going to be what some of us thought he might become. In the framework of being a high first , he has become a bust. It’s time to move on.

I thought Bolduc looked much better yesterday than I have ever seen.
Bolduc should have been the option last year and not Aho. He looks like an actual. potential NHL defenseman. The guy I remain not sold on is Pelech. He could be exposed this year.

I don't see Wahlstrom moving ahead of Tsyplakov or Holmstrom.

Reactions: MJF

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Bolduc should have been the option last year and not Aho. He looks like an actual. potential NHL defenseman. The guy I remain not sold on is Pelech. He could be exposed this year.

I don't see Wahlstrom moving ahead of Tsyplakov or Holmstrom.
Bolduc looked good the more he played last year. He’s going to be solid once he gets consistent playing time.

Reactions: crashthenet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad