2024 HHOF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Weber the active Arizon Coyotes player.

Like Pronger (HOF or working for the league), always a little bit strange those, non-retired but retired player status.

Ryan Miller-Pekka Rinne, with Vernom going in the goaltender bar seem to be quite different, but they never won the cup so probably being look at under a quite different lens.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Oh, God... Marleau is eligible and that's his competition among other first year candidates?

Datsyuk will be inducted (as he should be).
I'm not one of those clamoring for Mogilny to be inducted, but I'd rather have him in there than Marleau. I think this might be his year.
Don't think they'll go old school and induct someone like Roenick or Fleury, but we'll see.

Reactions: VaporTrail

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Weber with Nashville, Alfredson with the Sens, Marleau with San Jose, I would be ok with voters having some getting every city a face of the franchise in the Hall bias, not like the old all-star games that forced themselve to have at least one player for every team, Wild can wait if Mikko Koivu does not do enough, but a bias.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xelebes

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Weber the active Arizon Coyotes player.

Like Pronger (HOF or working for the league), always a little bit strange those, non-retired but retired player status.

Ryan Miller-Pekka Rinne, with Vernom going in the goaltender bar seem to be quite different, but they never won the cup so probably being look at under a quite different lens.
Vernon has his name on the cup twice. Does Miller or Rinne? It looks like for goaltenders that getting their name on the cup and being the starter is key.

With Vernon going there are two goalies I look at and question why they are not in

Vernon 385-273-92 two cup wins as starter 1 conn smythe
Andy Moog 372-209-88 3 rings but as back up
Cujo 454-352--96 no cup wins

One thing that some say is blocking moog is that there are enough oilers in already and the thing with Cujo was his lack of playoff wins

Miller 391-289-88 no cup wins 1 Vezina
rinne 369-213-75 No cup wins 1 Vezina

With Vernon going in and it looking like the Conn Smythe put him over the top--What about Tim Thomas? Conn Smythe and 2 vezinas

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If Marleau gets in, so should Larmer, Nichols, Propp ect.

|With the other 3 players mentioned, this is where I show my age. Once upon a time, the scratch and sniff test for players around the 1000pts mark was 500 goals. Glenn Anderson at 498 had to wait a few years. Marleau has 566, Larmer 441, Propp 425 and Nicholls 475. I think Nicholls has the best beat to get in over Larmer and Propp.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
|With the other 3 players mentioned, this is where I show my age. Once upon a time, the scratch and sniff test for players around the 1000pts mark was 500 goals. Glenn Anderson at 498 had to wait a few years. Marleau has 566, Larmer 441, Propp 425 and Nicholls 475. I think Nicholls has the best beat to get in over Larmer and Propp.

I was just thinking of the first 3 80s wingers to come to mind, who were substantially better than Marleau.

Come to think of it, Nichols was a center.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was just thinking of the first 3 80s wingers to come to mind, who were substantially better than Marleau.

Come to think of it, Nichols was a center.
I thought Marleau started out as a center but got moved to the wing when Big Joe arrived? I would not put Propp and Larmer above Marleau but Nicholls is a guy who could change the game sometimes, Propp played his first couple of years at the tale end of flyers glory years and then played with Tim Kerr( who career was cut short due to injuries and personal tragedies) . Propp found himself in the ideal situation when he came into the league--he could play both wings and found himself with fitted with high octane guys.

Larmer was to Savard as Kurri was to Gretz. Kurri got 601 goals and 5 rings to Larmers 441 goals and 1 cup ring

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
I thought Marleau started out as a center but got moved to the wing when Big Joe arrived? I would not put Propp and Larmer above Marleau but Nicholls is a guy who could change the game sometimes, Propp played his first couple of years at the tale end of flyers glory years and then played with Tim Kerr( who career was cut short due to injuries and personal tragedies) . Propp found himself in the ideal situation when he came into the league--he could play both wings and found himself with fitted with high octane guys.

Patrick Marleau was trash compared to Propp and Larmer.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
What's the case for Marleau other than having the Games Played record and having spent his entire career with SJ?

The guy was never top ten in points, never came close to winning anything, was never a particularly exciting or dominant player. I think he was only top ten in goals twice.

No offense to him. He was a solid player. But I find him pretty bland and unremarkable when we're talking about players who should be considered for the HHOF (even with the standard for induction being questionable).

Like... there are so many players you can argue for if you're going to induct this guy. What makes him better than Phil Kessel? He was an iron man and he actually won Cups and had top ten scoring finishes.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
What's the case for Marleau other than having the Games Played record and having spent his entire career with SJ?

The guy was never top ten in points, never came close to winning anything, was never a particularly exciting or dominant player. I think he was only top ten in goals twice.

No offense to him. He was a solid player. But I find him pretty bland and unremarkable when we're talking about players who should be considered for the HHOF (even with the standard for induction being questionable).

Like... there are so many players you can argue for if you're going to induct this guy. What makes him better than Phil Kessel? He was an iron man and he actually won Cups and had top ten scoring finishes.
I really don't think the games played record is a big factor because he was often introduced as a future hall-of-famer long before he approached that record.

I do think he'll be inducted at some point, if not this year. There are certainly real arguments to be made that he shouldn't be inducted, but I think it mostly comes down to career points. Almost 1200 points in mostly low scoring eras. I think he's 7th or so in scoring in the past 25 years.

Even if he was never a superstar scorer, I think it'll be enough to get him in.

And, of course, the games played record (the top 17 guys in gp are all current or future hall-of-famers); a very well-liked guy; success on Team Canada.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
And, of course, the games played record (the top 17 guys in gp are all current or future hall-of-famers); a very well-liked guy; success on Team Canada.
I do think the well liked factor will be huge.

Everything I've heard is he's very well liked and respected by his peers, management, and writers.

Being well liked goes a long way to getting inducted.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I really don't think the games played record is a big factor because he was often introduced as a future hall-of-famer long before he approached that record.

I do think he'll be inducted at some point, if not this year. There are certainly real arguments to be made that he shouldn't be inducted, but I think it mostly comes down to career points. Almost 1200 points in mostly low scoring eras. I think he's 7th or so in scoring in the past 25 years.

Even if he was never a superstar scorer, I think it'll be enough to get him in.

1,200 points but never Top 10 in points and only 0.67 career PPG. He only hit 1k because he played the most games ever. Never came close to an individual accolade, career per 82 points of only 55 and never close to being a 2 way guy to make up for it. He an above average player at his very best who is the ultimate compiler.

Hell, I'll even go as far as to say if he wasn't Canadian he wouldn't sniff the HOF

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Any additional insight on him besides the surface level stuff (stats/awards)? I don't know how to phrase this without it sounding like a challenge, but my intent is purely conversational...

From what I've read, Fielder could have been a great NHL player but there just weren't enough teams or roster spots for a player of his type. He was a brilliant puckhandler and passer and needed the puck, but didn't really offer anything without the puck, so you had to build a line around him. You almost had to build a lineup around him if you were going to give him the keys to a scoring line and the power play too.

When Detroit brought Fielder in for his brief NHL stint. they tried playing him with Gordie Howe, which didn't work because Howe needed the puck too. And Howe was maybe the best player in the world, so good luck telling him he needed to defer to this minor league star. Then they dropped Fielder down the lineup but he felt he wasn't getting enough ice time, his linemates would play dump and chase instead of keeping possession, and he failed to make an impact there as well. And Fielder was impatient and wanted to play so he told the Wings to just send him back to Seattle.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
@overpass covers it well regarding Fielder's only real chance in the NHL. And Fielder was making enough money in the WHL (which was starting to make an ultimately unsuccessful push to be a second major pro league) that he didn't really feel the need to prove anything in the NHL.
I believe he was the first NA professional player to hit 2,000 career points, six WHL most valuable player awards and three WHL championships.

Joe Pelletier generally comes off to me as overall unbiased, and he makes a nice case for Fielder here:

He's a longshot case but a compelling one in my mind.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad