Prospect Info: 2024 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #8

Who is the Devils' #8 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Chase Stillman is being slept on here

He may have been taken 29th but he was always picked to be a bottom-6 ELC supplement for us. He isnt shy with physicality and he brings some smarts to a portion of the roster that tends to lack it

I think hes a sure thing to be a fourth liner for us - hes intelligent enough to realize what he needs to work on and become proficient at for his role

Hes what I expected Moynihan would be for us
4th liners aren't slept on and if you're drafting a player with the intention on him being a "bottom-6 ELC supplement" you're making a mistake draft wise.

Reactions: Guadana

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
If stillman amounts to anything of value I’ll eat my socks.
you better define “of value” now because he’s absolutely gonna get shoehorned into an NHL role even if he isnt ready. The GM went out on a limb and drafted him too high so hes gonna get a shot no matter what.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
you better define “of value” now because he’s absolutely gonna get shoehorned into an NHL role even if he isnt ready. The GM went out on a limb and drafted him too high so hes gonna get a shot no matter what.
Not sure I agree with that. Depends on what we are qualifying as "getting a shot". Late firsts just aren't that big of a deal to whiff on. There's a couple in every draft that really never develop into an NHL player in that area and even more that probably don't get the bulk of their games with the team that drafted them or really only get few cups of coffee that end up at like 75 games over a few seasons.

I don't think he'll feel pressure to give Stillman a shot the way he would someone like holtz.

That said, I'm sure that chase will get some games. He's fourth line energy. But if he leaves the devils organization with less than 40 NHL games under his belt, wouldn't shock me. If he earns a spot, he'll get a crack, but I don't think being a late first is enough of a draft pedigree to make a team give you a shot

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
That’s not anything of value in my eyes. Being placed in a role due to getting overrated is invaluable and stubborn.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not sure I agree with that. Depends on what we are qualifying as "getting a shot". Late firsts just aren't that big of a deal to whiff on. There's a couple in every draft that really never develop into an NHL player in that area and even more that probably don't get the bulk of their games with the team that drafted them or really only get few cups of coffee that end up at like 75 games over a few seasons.

I don't think he'll feel pressure to give Stillman a shot the way he would someone like holtz.

That said, I'm sure that chase will get some games. He's fourth line energy. But if he leaves the devils organization with less than 40 NHL games under his belt, wouldn't shock me. If he earns a spot, he'll get a crack, but I don't think being a late first is enough of a draft pedigree to make a team give you a shot
Ya, Quenville played all of 33 games over 3 years for the Devils. Playing 12, then 2, then 19 games. That 2 game season was the lone season the Devils were any good. Obviously it's easier to find games for a low level prospect when the team is not playing for anything besides draft position. We better not be in that situation in the next bunch of years.

Matteau played 44 over 3 seasons(4 kind of). Team stunk then too.

The flip here would be, if Stillman can play a competent or better 4th line role, then maybe he can carve out a role despite falling well below any draft day hopes the organization had for him.

I also figure he's not getting much if any PP time. So the 14 goals in 54 games isn't terrible(though probably unrepeatable unless he ups that shot rate). Better then Bastian's 10 in 68 in his first AHL season(yes it was +1 but he was old enough to do so, and a bigger guy).

Last edited:
Reactions: Forge

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
They
Going Hatakka until the end.

He's probably winning this round. I like him as a player. But the fact that they wouldn't play him last season as a 23-year-old when his game was clearly more advanced than the defensemen in the Devils' lineup makes it hard for me to see him getting an opportunity now that the Devils have added Pesce, Dillon, Kovasevic, and Seamus Casey.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3