Prospect Info: 2024 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #11

Who is the Devils' #11 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Pecking order for Devils' goalie prospects remains Daws then either Brennan or Yegorov as the top three - based on where they were selected and their skill set. Comparing their current status to goalies two and three years older is comparing apples and oranges.

The yoyo-ing of Daws (and injuries) has likely slowed his development but the organization clearly sees potential or like Akira he would be elsewhere.

Having followed Malek since his junior days with the Czech junior team (the Malik and Malek Show), he deserves credit for earning an ELC but is likely still on the periphery in the Devils' system. The Finnish Liiga is a long way from being the league that guys like Brian Rafalsky and Tim Thomas played in and consists of haves and have nots. His team is one of the better teams. In his first year, he was the backup to veteran goalie Marek Langhamer. When Langhamer left for Sweden, Swedish veteran Jonas Gustafsson became the starter. Both goalies had better numbers than Malek. Neither are considered NHL calibre goalies.
I don't know why you harp on where they were selected.

Reactions: Nubmer6

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Pecking order for Devils' goalie prospects remains Daws then either Brennan or Yegorov as the top three - based on where they were selected and their skill set. Comparing their current status to goalies two and three years older is comparing apples and oranges.

The yoyo-ing of Daws (and injuries) has likely slowed his development but the organization clearly sees potential or like Akira he would be elsewhere.

Having followed Malek since his junior days with the Czech junior team (the Malik and Malek Show), he deserves credit for earning an ELC but is likely still on the periphery in the Devils' system. The Finnish Liiga is a long way from being the league that guys like Brian Rafalsky and Tim Thomas played in and consists of haves and have nots. His team is one of the better teams. In his first year, he was the backup to veteran goalie Marek Langhamer. When Langhamer left for Sweden, Swedish veteran Jonas Gustafsson became the starter. Both goalies had better numbers than Malek. Neither are considered NHL calibre goalies.
Malek is still quite young for a goalie and improving. He deserves a chance to hone his craft. I’d place hi. Ahead of Brennan thus far if still behind Daws and Poulter. The guys drafted this year are teenagers and I have kids older than them.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Malek is still quite young for a goalie and improving. He deserves a chance to hone his craft. I’d place hi. Ahead of Brennan thus far if still behind Daws and Poulter. The guys drafted this year are teenagers and I have kids older than them.

Do any of them play goalie?

Reactions: My3Sons

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Poulter's contract length was dictated by the age at which he signed. Schmid went from getting shelled as the Devils' 4th goalie to being their backup two years later.

That was more a reflection on the Devils' previous efforts at developing goalies - and some bad luck with regards to free agent signings and injuries. Despite his flashes as a rookie, Schmid was far from being NHL ready. And his weaknesses were exposed last season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What the hell happened to Filmon?
After a big +1 season, had a meh +2, which imo puts him in a holding pattern, need to see what he does in Utica.

Coming into these rankings I was thinking that our pool had really been depleted. But the late round Russians and the goalies do provide solid depth once you get by the top guys. I like Filmon and still haven't voted for him, and I think that's a good sign for the teams pool.

Wouldn't be shocked though if Filmon, like Shara and Zetterlund, was unimpressive in year 1 in the A before finding his groove in subsequent seasons.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Aside from a 4 game season in 20-21 Brennan has never posted a save % above .900 That includes a .896 in 13 ECHL games last year. I think save %'s can be deceiving, bad team play in front of a goalie and all that, but his .896 in the ECHL was well below the team average save % which looks like it was around .911(and would be higher if not for Brennan). Poulter by comparison was .917 in 6 regular season games for Adirondack, and .939 in 15 playoff games.

I won't rag on Brennan too much, but he needs a big season or he is going to be buried by the organizational depth at the position. Really given the positional depth, a big season may only make him trade bait.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Brennan was born in 2003, Malek was born in 2002. Malek was good in Liiga, Brennan wasnt good in a very good team in weaker ECHL. Year ago same story. Brennan was drafted in the fourth round(number of the round mean nothing) so even this argument(its not an argument) doesnt work.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
In Filmon case people should understand that Filmon was born in the same year as Melovsky. And 6th rounder Melovsky was on the same level of production(even better) but he was center with two way abilities and duties. So Filmon isnt top-15 Devils prospect at all. May be we have something but for now he is the same 6th rounder who didnt overproduced his draft selection right now with less chances to be regular NHLer than other players like Misyul, Foote, Pikkareinen, Poulter and Malek because they were at least good on the better levels or good on their current levels. I would say Melovsky should be penciled now as a better prospect because at least he can play defensive role.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
In Filmon case people should understand that Filmon was born in the same year as Melovsky. And 6th rounder Melovsky was on the same level of production(even better) but he was center with two way abilities and duties. So Filmon isnt top-15 Devils prospect at all. May be we have something but for now he is the same 6th rounder who didnt overproduced his draft selection right now with less chances to be regular NHLer than other players like Misyul, Foote, Pikkareinen, Poulter and Malek because they were at least good on the better levels or good on their current levels. I would say Melovsky should be penciled now as a better prospect because at least he can play defensive role.
Last 2 seasons Filmon has scored 74 goals.

Melovsky has scored 24.

Need to factor that in.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Also that Filmon was the last cut in training camp last year. clearly the Devils organization see's something that others don't.
He's a guy with some size who can score goals. That's is definitely a combo that Fitz is going to value.

He needs to put weight on his frame. Probably needs to round out his overall game(I do like that while his goals were down, his assists were up this past season) and we need to see if he is more the 40+ goal guy from 2 years ago or the 20 something goal guy from this past year. But he has attributes that are intriguing.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Also that Filmon was the last cut in training camp last year. clearly the Devils organization see's something that others don't.

Is that true? There were 23 forwards left in camp after he was cut, so maybe we’re not on the same page as “last cut”.

It seems like it was a good training camp but he was returned to juniors before a lot of other guys.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

Is that true? There were 23 forwards left in camp after he was cut, so maybe we’re not on the same page as “last cut”.

It seems like it was a good training camp but he was returned to juniors before a lot of other guys.
Official New Jersey Devils Website | New Jersey Devils

How many forward prospects do you see in those preseason stats?

4 Devils Takeaways From 2022 Buffalo Prospects Challenge - The Hockey Writers New Jersey Devils Latest News, Analysis & More

During yesterday’s broadcast, Devils play-by-play announcer Matt Loughlin stated that the 18-year-old will be joining the team for training camp and will not immediately head back to the WHL. He showcased his scoring prowess and passing ability and is on the right track to achieving his goal of “earning an NHL spot one day.”

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/new-j...h-filmon-to-juniors-trim-training-camp-roster

Looks like the last cut to me.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

How many forward prospects do you see in those preseason stats?

4 Devils Takeaways From 2022 Buffalo Prospects Challenge - The Hockey Writers New Jersey Devils Latest News, Analysis & More

During yesterday’s broadcast, Devils play-by-play announcer Matt Loughlin stated that the 18-year-old will be joining the team for training camp and will not immediately head back to the WHL. He showcased his scoring prowess and passing ability and is on the right track to achieving his goal of “earning an NHL spot one day.”

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/new-j...h-filmon-to-juniors-trim-training-camp-roster

Looks like the last cut to me.
I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with the 2022 prospects games relative to the 2023 training camp cuts.

There were 23 forwards still in camp and the team usually carries 14.

“Last cut” to me means he almost made the team and was in the Final Cut of forwards before the only remaining forwards are on the opening night roster.

I don’t think last cut means he’s the final forward sent back to juniors but there are 9 more forwards that will be cut later.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with the 2022 prospects games relative to the 2023 training camp cuts.

There were 23 forwards still in camp and the team usually carries 14.

“Last cut” to me means he almost made the team and was in the Final Cut of forwards before the only remaining forwards are on the opening night roster.

I don’t think last cut means he’s the final forward sent back to juniors but there are 9 more forwards that will be cut later.
PRESEASON 2023-2024 NEW JERSEY DEVILS

When talking about prospects I think my definition makes more sense.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
But what is your definition?

Brian Halonen played a game too but he wasn’t a big prospect either.
Halonen is an AHLer.

All the other forwards were either Devils roster players or AHLer's. Preseason is for getting into game shape so of course AHL players who have been around for years would be in the roster.

There were a lot of other prospects at that tournament and training camp and they didn't get to play a preseason game. Is it wrong for me to think of that as an accomplishment?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Halonen is an AHLer.

All the other forwards were either Devils roster players or AHLer's. Preseason is for getting into game shape so of course AHL players who have been around for years would be in the roster.

There were a lot of other prospects at that tournament and training camp and they didn't get to play a preseason game. Is it wrong for me to think of that as an accomplishment?
I said he had a good camp. When he was cut doesn’t change his future really, he’s had a whole year of training since then anyway.

I was only saying that “last cut” isn’t being used in the way I think about it and I think that’s true for many others as well.

I think it would be clearer to say “last cut of the junior forwards”, since this is a unique instance of using the phrase.

I think saying “last cut” implies he was literally in the Final Cut before the regular roster is set, which isn’t the case.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Another way to position when Filmon was cut that he was in the second round of cuts.

I linked this article to the first cuts and Filmon was in the second round of cuts 3 days later.

That’s not a knock on him but I do maintain being in the second round of cuts 3 days after the first round is not last cut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad