• Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I am also in the camp that people are sleeping on Allan a bit here. I don't think he is ever going to have a ton of offence, but I could see him becoming an excellent shut down defenseman. I thought he was the best dman in the Memorial cup 2 years ago, and followed it up with a really good first season in the AHL this past year. It will be interesting to see how he looks in camp.

Imagine the euphoria if Alan has a Vlasic level season

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Anybody paying attention would know that Allan and EDM are both trending very well and had really good years last year. Allan has even more of a mean streak than EDM, size and all the physical tools to play in the NHL.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I’ve watched Allan for a couple seasons now, EDM I saw more last year than his CHL years. I still think EDM has better natural instincts. I think Allan plays too but in more of a caved in defensive role.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Kantserov's playoffs were extremely promising but they don't vault him above of a .5 PPG AHL D rookie season when the guys calling card isn't even offense.

Brother I'm asking how often you've seen him play in the past year and you're dancing around the question.
Don’t bother, anyone who thinks EDM “max” is a #4 Dman shouldn’t really be taken seriously.
If he fails to develop from today forward he’s a #4.
In his WJT he was thee Dman assigned to defend the opposition best offensive players.
He’s done nothing since then to change his top defensive Dman standing.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Don’t bother, anyone who thinks EDM “max” is a #4 Dman shouldn’t really be taken seriously.
In his WJT he was thee Dman assigned to defend the opposition best offensive players.
It’s also so weird how a shutdown second pairing dman is considered so meh. Like the big, physical, minute eating D are what teams desperately need in the playoffs to go far. History says so time after time, including the Hawks cup runs.

But yeah EDM is a bum because he doesn’t sacrifice defense to put up a billion points, so low ceiling.

Reactions: Space umpire

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
am i really supposed to believe that today, as i live and breathe, ethan del mastro, with all of 18 career minutes with the blackhawks, is a legitimate nhl second pairing defenseman? it would be a pleasant surprise if he beats put tj brodie for a roster spot.

Nah you shouldn’t believe. But people around here are convinced. So just go with it or else. It’s hilarious what prospects are turned into around here.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Would be incredible. A prospect coming out of the woodwork happens, what, once every 5 years? Byfuglien, Andrew Shaw, Brandon Hagel, Sharp, any others?

I don’t count Saad, Keith, Debrincat… they were immediately good prospects to varying degrees.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I feel like I have to defend my points on prospects way too often when I've admitted frequently and openly that I only give impressions on guys I've seen.
Probably have to mention it in east post. People aren’t going to remember that. Well, I probably will now but I wouldn’t have before.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
How many games of EDM did you watch last year?
For me, more than 20. I took interest when it was EDM chosen to be the guy on the ice at his WJC against every nations top scoring line.

That peaked my interest and he has not disappointed.
However, don’t confuse my love for his top pairing upside with hate for the other Dmen in the pipeline. Kind of reminds me of the early 2000’s where the Hawks were absolutely flush with solid D prospects.
Wisniewski was used by the Habs as a 1st or 2nd pairing guy. Only displaced because of never ending major injuries.
Leddy was traded and spent his career as a 2-3 Dman.
Byfuglien was an eventual cap casualty and spent his career as a top pairing guy.
Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson were the cream of the crop.

That’s 6 guys who may have played different styles but all were top pairing capable.

I honestly (just my opinion) see similar right now.

Reactions: pvr

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
It’s also so weird how a shutdown second pairing dman is considered so meh. Like the big, physical, minute eating D are what teams desperately need in the playoffs to go far. History says so time after time, including the Hawks cup runs.

But yeah EDM is a bum because he doesn’t sacrifice defense to put up a billion points, so low ceiling.
Strawman much? I said earlier it would be a huge accomplishment for the Hawks if EDM has an NHL career, nevermind being a 2nd pair guy. If he turns into a minute munching 2nd pair dman with snarl that would be ginormous for the Hawks going forward.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
For me, more than 20. I took interest when it was EDM chosen to be the guy on the ice at his WJC against every nations top scoring line.

That peaked my interest and he has not disappointed.
However, don’t confuse my love for his top pairing upside with hate for the other Dmen in the pipeline. Kind of reminds me of the early 2000’s where the Hawks were absolutely flush with solid D prospects.
Wisniewski was used by the Habs as a 1st or 2nd pairing guy. Only displaced because of never ending major injuries.
Leddy was traded and spent his career as a 2-3 Dman.
Byfuglien was an eventual cap casualty and spent his career as a top pairing guy.
Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson were the cream of the crop.

That’s 6 guys who may have played different styles but all were top pairing capable.

I honestly (just my opinion) see similar right now.
Yeah…if DelMastro and Allan are fighting it out for third pair spots, the Hawks defense will be spectacular.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Yeah…if DelMastro and Allan are fighting it out for third pair spots, the Hawks defense will be spectacular.
Exactly!
Everyone here knows I see EDM as the more defensive guy on a top pairing. Of course that is also Vlasic.
Imagine if Rinzel just keeps on his current trajectory and our #1 pick becomes what Kyle from Chicago thinks he will … that’s 2 top pairings.
If Allen happens to be even better than EDM that’s even better. Not only does it improve the team but a certain poster here complained about the pick when made a continues to do so regularly.
A win-win!

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Exactly!
Everyone here knows I see EDM as the more defensive guy on a top pairing. Of course that is also Vlasic.
Imagine if Rinzel just keeps on his current trajectory and our #1 pick becomes what Kyle from Chicago thinks he will … that’s 2 top pairings.
If Allen happens to be even better than EDM that’s even better. Not only does it improve the team but a certain poster here complained about the pick when made a continues to do so regularly.
A win-win!
Vlasic might well develop into a better-skating version of Chara (who I see as a legit comp), who arguably took longer to develop both defensively and offensively than Vlasic has to date. This year will hopefully see more offensive development from Vlasic, as well as a continued defensive development.

Add Rinzel, who is arguably more physical and more offensively gifted than Vlasic, and that’s a first pairing that could be as good if not better than any other in the league.

Then there’s Levshunov and EDM, which could be a similar pairing, and we haven’t even mentioned Korchinski, Kaiser, and Allan, or if a future pick or trade or free agent arrives.

And they’ll all be maturing when the Hawks’ window is open if all reach close to their potential. The defense is looking really set for success as a whole unit beyond what was achieved during the Cup years.

The offense is the question mark, but that’s more easily addressed in free agency if the plethora of drafted players don’t fit or fill gaps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Space umpire

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

EDM is not a 2nd pairing NHL Dman right now.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Vlasic might well develop into a better-skating version of Chara (who I see as a legit comp), who arguably took longer to develop both defensively and offensively than Vlasic has to date. This year will hopefully see more offensive development from Vlasic, as well as a continued defensive development.

He is nothing like Chara. Does not nor will ever have that intimidation factor or mean streak. Chara was regularly averaging 100+ PIMs a season when he was younger.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
He is nothing like Chara. Does not nor will ever have that intimidation factor or mean streak. Chara was regularly averaging 100+ PIMs a season when he was younger.
Similar frame to Chara, but that is it. Chara was ridiculously strong and legit played with restraint because he just ragdolled anyone he fought.

And nothing wrong with that. AV has better mobility, and I think more offensive instincts that haven't been fully tapped. Exciting times.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad