GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think people are letting 4 mil for a 3rd pair D slide way too easily.
Dillon was probably the second-best defenseman on a Winnipeg team which was better defensively than the Devils last year. He kills the opposing cycle and kills penalties very well. He immediately becomes the most effectively physical defender and strongest crease-defender that the Devils have has in several seasons. His deal will be up at about the same time Silayev is ready to make a major impact in NJ. The Dillon signing was not just a good one, it was a great one.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Dillon was probably the second-best defenseman on a Winnipeg team which was better defensively than the Devils last year. He kills the opposing cycle and kills penalties very well. He immediately becomes the most effectively physical defender and strongest crease-defender that the Devils have has in several seasons. His deal will be up at about the same time Silayev is ready to make a major impact in NJ. The Dillon signing was not just a good one, it was a great one.
I agree. And even with all the obvious benefits, he didn't really even get a raise to come to New Jersey.

His last deal was 4 years 3.9M per

Now 3x4.... maybe an extra year on the deal but a small price to pay for everything he brings in my opinion.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I agree. And even with all the obvious benefits, he didn't really even get a raise to come to New Jersey.

His last deal was 4 years 3.9M per

Now 3x4.... maybe an extra year on the deal but a small price to pay for everything he brings in my opinion.
Winnipeg is my #2 team and I watch them a lot. They're my late-night team. Dillon was absolutely terrific last year.

I think Chevaldayoff is a really good GM for the Jets but he notoriously is cautious at the trade table, and I think his reluctance to pull the trigger on an unfavorable deal for Ehlers may have cost him the ability to re-sign Dillon. The McGroarty headache surely complicated things, as well.

I think the Dillon/Siegenthaler contract timelines match pretty well with the Silayev timeline. I also think people are sleeping on the LD depth now in NJ, as I feel Misyul is ready to play NHL games now and Vilen is coming around nicely, as well.

Every blueline needs a mix of talents to succeed. The Devils now have a legit shut-down stud in Pesce, a semi-shut-down bruiser in Dillon to pair with two young, preternaturally talented offensive defensemen in Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec. That's huge not only for their development, but also for the ability to win now.

And again, I think the ability to cut down Siegenthaler's hard minutes will enable him to bounce back, as well. With Hamilton, as we all know, the only question is health. 70+ games from Dougie next year is almost a lock for generally sound defense and 50+ points.

We need to keep in mind that, just 5 years ago, the Devils had arguably the worst blueline in the entire NHL. Now, it's potentially among the best. And when you throw in the fact that NJ's runaway top 2 prospects are LD Anton Silayev and RD Seamus Casey, things look even better.

There is great cause for great optimism.

crashline

What smells like, brother?
Feb 10, 2018
We need to keep in mind that, just 5 years ago, the Devils had arguably the worst blueline in the entire NHL. Now, it's potentially among the best. And when you throw in the fact that NJ's runaway top 2 prospects are LD Anton Silayev and RD Seamus Casey, things look even better.

With apologies to the Merman and Swiss League legend Matt Tennyson ...

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I'm shocked Brendan Smith was signed on the second day of free agency. He looked like a later offseason signing when there was nothing but scraps left or even quite possibly a PTO.
People over state how bad he was. Between baby sitting an offensive prospect figuring out what works and doesn't, and playing on his off hand, he had a bunch of horrible games. But when playing where he should, in the role he should, he was "fine." Which is all a lot of teams want or need from a bottom pairing PKer/7th a lot of the time. If Dallas is out, you know he will get picked up as insurance at the deadline by someone.

I'm glad we moved on, he just didn't fit and we've made the team way better, but he definitely became a lighting rod for hate around here.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
People over state how bad he was. Between baby sitting an offensive prospect figuring out what works and doesn't, and playing on his off hand, he had a bunch of horrible games. But when playing where he should, in the role he should, he was "fine." Which is all a lot of teams want or need from a bottom pairing PKer/7th a lot of the time. If Dallas is out, you know he will get picked up as insurance at the deadline by someone.

I'm glad we moved on, he just didn't fit and we've made the team way better, but he definitely became a lighting rod for hate around here.

a legend in my mind forever. put canada's new blah blah blah in to the infirmary. thanks for the memories.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

In 2022-2023 he wasn’t bad at all. But he looked about cooked this past season and is now 35

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad