GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
4th liner with 40+ points the last two season and 21 and 18 goals in those seasons. Maybe a 3rd liner fine, which at this point you take and see if you can make someone work on the wing with Jack. Those two seasons were on Seattle and the Red Wings not exactly super strong teams. Id be willing to bet IF he can work, Jack would be his best center hes played with in a while.

Its it a reach maybe but it would be cheap so why not. If you can find a trade.

Its better then nothing doesnt work he is a depth player who is scratched.

Also if i recall he has a pretty good shootout record.

Wingers don’t have a lot of defensive responsibilities, but they have some defensive responsibilities, and you can’t have an offensive blackhole on your top line.

Sprong makes more sense on teams not serious about winning but if he’s sheltered he can burn opposing teams’ weakest lines.

He’s not playing with Jack. Jack can’t cover for him defensively.

He’s bad at everything but skating and scoring, does dumb things all the time and plays like soft butter. Lots of teams have tried to fix his game and it didn’t work.

Remember the things Holtz got criticized for? Those are Sprong’s jam. He loves being weak on puck, weak on the back check, making horrific giveaways.

After all his blather about “hockey players” I would bet real money Sprong isn’t a guy Fitz is interested in.

Last edited:

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
Wingers don’t have a lot of defensive responsibilities, but they have some defensive responsibilities, and you can’t have an offensive blackhole on your top line.

Sprong makes more sense on teams not serious about winning but he if he’s sheltered he can burn opposing teams’ weakest lines.

He’s not playing with Jack. Jack can’t cover for him defensively.

He’s bad at everything but skating and scoring, does dumb things all the time and plays like soft butter. Lots of teams have tried to fix his game and it didn’t work.

Remember the things Holtz got criticized for? Those are Sprong’s jam. He loves being weak on puck, weak on the back check, making horrific giveaways.

After all his blather about “hockey players” I would bet real money Sprong isn’t a guy Fitz is interested in.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ll prob get killed for this but what about Tyler Johnson as a middle 6 Swiss Army knife for cheap? Gives positional flexibility. Not sure if he’s totally cooked.

I also wouldn’t mind Lizotte as a 4th line center who could move up to the 3rd in a pinch. Hate the idea of using Lazar as a full time center and we are one injury or Haula promotion away from using him or Cotter as a 3C.

Really not much out there, holding out hope for the Colton dream like everyone else.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Couldn’t agree more. I’ll prob get killed for this but what about Tyler Johnson as a middle 6 Swiss Army knife for cheap? Gives positional flexibility. Not sure if he’s totally cooked.

I also wouldn’t mind Lizotte as a 4th line center who could move up to the 3rd in a pinch. Hate the idea of using Lazar as a full time center and we are one injury or Haula promotion away from using him or Cotter as a 3C.

Really not much out there, holding out hope for the Colton dream like everyone else.

Johnson could be a placeholder until the trade deadline, but I don't know that he should be getting ice time on a playoff team.

Lizotte signed with Pittsburgh late last night.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
next years first in addition to casey would be a wild overpay
Casey is small defenseman from the second round. Next year should be around 15-25. Its a price for big player who was drafted by 14th pick and overproduced in NCAA. Its just a price. Of course Casey has more value than he was on the draft but still it is what it is.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Casey is small defenseman from the second round. Next year should be around 15-25. Its a price for big player who was drafted by 14th pick and overproduced in NCAA. Its just a price. Of course Casey has more value than he was on the draft but still it is what it is.
McGroarty wants out. We're trading from a position of strength. They're not going to get full value for him.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Jesper Bratt was a 6th round pick, think we can get a 5th for him?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Jesper Bratt was a 6th round pick, think we can get a 5th for him?
Before start of the first NHL season? He would not be traded for the 1st round player. I know what you mean, I understand that. But its just how market value works. I think Casey could be traded for solid first rounder not from top-10. But McGroarty picked his value much more on this stage.
McGroarty wants out. We're trading from a position of strength. They're not going to get full value for him.
And yeah, this is the only reason why McGroarty havnt "top level prospect" value.
Casey plus late first isnt top value.

And of course if Fitz will trade McGroarty for Casey one for one, I will be very happy. For now I think Jets wants more and have a reason to ask more.

You should understand Im quite high on Casey. He is our third best prospect, he had great NCAA tenure and now he is signed(reason why he should be very attractive for Jets). Still he isnt Ty Smith profile type of player - he is fast on the short distance with great hands, he stands well on his legs so it should help him at least for secondary role to be competent enough.
But it isnt still big power forward with ~50 points in ~30 games in NCAA in his second year.

From the Devils perspective I would everything beside Silayev, Gritsyuk... may be Daws and Yegorov. I dont know what Im thinking about it really. Of course Im not saying about "Brady Tkachuk package" of three future firsts, Casey, Lenny, our houses and retirement savings we heard few days ago. If Jets like Casey as a main piece from our side - Fitz should try to offer some secondary benefits. If they dont - I dont see what we can offer.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Before start of the first NHL season? He would not be traded for the 1st round player. I know what you mean, I understand that. But its just how market value works. I think Casey could be traded for solid first rounder not from top-10. But McGroarty picked his value much more on this stage.

And yeah, this is the only reason why McGroarty havnt "top level prospect" value.
Casey plus late first isnt top value.

And of course if Fitz will trade McGroarty for Casey one for one, I will be very happy. For now I think Jets wants more and have a reason to ask more.

You should understand Im quite high on Casey. He is our third best prospect, he had great NCAA tenure and now he is signed(reason why he should be very attractive for Jets). Still he isnt Ty Smith profile type of player - he is fast on the short distance with great hands, he stands well on his legs so it should help him at least for secondary role to be competent enough.
But it isnt still big power forward with ~50 points in ~30 games in NCAA in his second year.

From the Devils perspective I would everything beside Silayev, Gritsyuk... may be Daws and Yegorov. I dont know what Im thinking about it really. Of course Im not saying about "Brady Tkachuk package" of three future firsts, Casey, Lenny, our houses and retirement savings we heard few days ago. If Jets like Casey as a main piece from our side - Fitz should try to offer some secondary benefits. If they dont - I dont see what we can offer.

Question: is McGroarty really a fit here? Yes, he's a highly skilled power forward, but I've heard questions about his skating speed. Are they overblown? Would he be able to keep up?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Question: is McGroarty really a fit here? Yes, he's a highly skilled power forward, but I've heard questions about his skating speed. Are they overblown? Would he be able to keep up?
I didnt watch him this year in NCAA. In his draft year he wasnt good skater but he could be fast when it needs, his hands were great and his puck protection was great. From what I saw in his predraft, I remember he had interesting offensive and forechecking potential in o zone, good cycling tools. Of course not as great two way potential. But I believe some guys saw his actual games, how he developed, I will try to find some tapes and watch him. May be its not the perfect fit, but Im not very "more speed" only guy, I like players who is very good in cycling. I see this as a bigger part of the modern game. So McGroarty on my taste is a good piece to trade for.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
5771104c-e3e3-4be2-9af9-6c6fc45d89f5_text.gif

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
Man I can't think of a better fit for us to round out the top 6 then McGroarty. He will be on a very cheap contract, plays a game we lack at the forward position, and can grow and become a core piece for a very long time..

Bratt-Nico-Timo
McGroaty-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Haula-Nosen
Cotter-Lazar-Foote/Bastian

is a phenomenal offensive group imo. Pushing Palat/Cotter down a line makes everything look better. That would be one of the best 3rd lines in the league imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad